“OK and kid friendly” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Johns Creek, Georgia
“OK and kid friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This review is based on only one visit so please take that into account. We found the entire staff to be extremely friendly from arrival until we left. Nice, clean place w/ reasonable energy. We noticed a great deal of small children, maybe 1/3 of tables. Seemed to be very kid friendly. Service nice and attentive. To start they have a very nice salsa bar to put your own recipe together. We liked that a lot. They have BBQ and regular Mexican. I had a goat dish which was pretty good. My wife had a good fish taco and a good chicken tamale. I say these were good-not great. My son had 3 enchiladas and did not like the red sauce at all. Felt it tasted like Prego from a jar. My wife felt the tomatoes were mushy and was not sure they were fresh. For the portion sizes which were a little on the small size, we felt the prices were a dollar or two high.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Mu hubby's favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Mexican, BBQ and cupcakes in one restaurant, what more can you ask for! Everything we tried was amazing. They have a salsa bar, guac is very delicious too. My hubby loves the whole menu, I love their goat taco (super tender and tasty) and their smoke salmon quasadilla, mium! Service is very friendly. Also, try the tres leches cake...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Loganville
“Not your ordinary Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We were stopping by The Beer Growler and decided that we would give this place a try after hearing positive things from a friend at work. Definitely not ordinary mexican. The first thing I noticed was that they brought chips with two empty containers for salsa. They have an interesting salsa bar from pico de gallo to holy crap that's hot tomatilla sauce so they have plenty to chose from! I tried the special blackened mahi mahi soft taco. Good, but not great. I also had the smoked briscuit taco which was decidely better than the mahi. My husband tried the smoked brisket burrito which was definitely the best of our meal and it was huge. The meat was excellent and the burrito wsa packed with the brisket, carmelized onions and avocado. And the fact that it wasn't covered with cheese made me think this isn't your "every other mexican food" sort of place. Definitely different and we would try again...

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Gentrified, sanitized, and “gringofied”, but for white-bread suburbia, not bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I tried this local taqueria for the 3rd time last week. We shared 3 of their tacos: Barbacoa (goat), Pastor (pork), and Pescado Frito (Tilapia). They do their tacos in authentic corn tortillas, easy to come by in the Atlanta area. All three fillings tasted OK, but, definitely too clean and sanitized, not what I prefer with organic, authentic Latino street-food. But then I probably should not expect this in this white-bread neighborhood. For that one should go to the nearby Buford Hwy, where there are plenty of taquerias catering to recent immigrants. El Vecino does have a great salsa bar where you can concoct your own mixture – great idea. The service is still casual, effective, and expedient. The price is very reasonable. We will do this place again for when we feel like low-key Latino food but do not want to drive to Buford Hwy.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“For Quality Mexican in an Informal Atmosphere in Decatur”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Taqueria el Vicino is, as the name suggests, a neighborhood place that provides an extensive variety of quality Mexican dishes. Aside from the usual fare, there is a section of the menu devoted to "Mexican-style barbecue." My wife and I shared an ample, tasty plate of barbecued beef brisket with sweet potato fries and delicious cornbread. My relatives eat here regularly, and I understand why. If you have room, try a cupcake for dessert.

• 4 of 5 stars Food