“Our favorite Decatur hotel but the price is getting ridiculousI” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Decatur
Evans, Georgia, United States
“Our favorite Decatur hotel but the price is getting ridiculousI”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel many times over the past few years. Our daughter went to Emory and now lives in the Decatur area with her family. Their house is small so we often stay at the HIE Atlanta-Emory. We just stayed this past weekend, as a matter of fact. I want to book again for this Friday but now I see the price has gone up to $172.00 a night for a standard king room! We paid $150 (after taxes & fees this last weekend which I thought was pricey since we usually pay less). It is a small, clean hotel with a nice staff but, in the end, it is a HIE and that price seems outrageous. I am sad because we love the location and feel comfortable there. The breakfast is the standard HIE offering and they throw in a few perks like popcorn or cookies in the afternoon. The pool is okay and we use it almost every time. We are HIE Priority Club members and get a free night after accumulating numerous points. But, $172? With regret, I have booked at the Courtyard in downtown Decatur for this weekend for considerably less.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atemory, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Carol S.

Thank you for being such a loyal guest to our hotel. Please know that we value you as our guest and I sincerely apologize that due to a special event we were unable to accommodate your stay. I would however like you to know that as long as we have availability, it will be my pleasure to work directly with you to find a reasonable price solution as both myself and my team look forward to your consistent visits. Please feel free to contact me directly at 404-320-0888 at your leisure. I hope to speak with you soon.

Kindest Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The description of the Double Queen Suite is misleading. It's a room with 2 queen beds with a microwave, coffee maker and a mini-refrigerator. It was clean, felt safe and accommodated 4 adults ok. There wasn't any extra room, but we weren't there to spend time in a hotel room. The bathroom was small, but sufficient. It is not close to anything notable in the way of restaurants or shopping, but if you have a car, that wouldn't be an issue. It seemed pretty standard for a chain hotel for a place to sleep. The price was steep compared to other Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inns. The breakfast was included in the price, but the breakfast area was way small for the size hotel it was. A one-star deduction for the "suite" deception and small breakfast area. Another star deduction for the price point value. That being said, there's not many choices for hotels in the Decatur area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear ChixSouth,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the room prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is the second of two different Holiday Inn Express locations I've stayed in this year. I like the brand. The decor is stylish, the rooms are very nice and clean, the free breakfast is great and the beds are comfortable. This hotel, just like the other one, simply needs a little more attention to detail by the staff. I went to go use the fitness center and the treadmill wasn't working. The front desk clerk didn't know how to turn it on. I told her that I would be working out again first thing the following morning and I hope they can get it working.

The next morning at 6 am, the fitness center was still locked, because the front desk clerk hadn't gone to open it yet. I went to get him, and I'm pretty sure he was sleeping around the back. The treadmill was working, but when I finished my run, the water cooler was empty.

Again, just like the last property, not big things, but they just need a little more attention to detail. It wouldn't stop me from staying at an HIE again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

sharing the experiences I used to pick this place. I really had no idead where to stay or what direction to go in so I cam on to TA and mapped out an ideal location for my search. I finally decided on this spot and this HIExpress came up with all its wonderful reviews. All true, true, true. To get there is involves some "backstreet'' maneuvering, but can be a nice drive during the day. The area around the hotel itslef is nice enough, not much night traffic which makes the place very quiet. Staff was quick to acknowledge and always on their toes if a customer came by the front desk.

YOu can walk up a slight hill to a Publix grocery store and a small selection of restaurants. I saw a subway, a sushi place and a couple other choices. I didn't venture out too much, but there was a CVS/Walgreens and other restaurants about 1 mile away. The rooms are comfy, large, high ceiling, spacious bathrooms and CLEAN. I will certainly return here if my travels bring me back this way. Great job HI. Keep up the good service.

Room Tip: There is hardly any night street traffic so no worries on steet side rooms. I saw 2 different rooms...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently spent six nights at the Holiday Inn Express Atlanta - Emory University Area and were very happy with the hotel.

The room was well appointed with a table and chairs, a desk and comforable desk chair, a lounge chair, two beds, a wet bar area (with microwave, coffee maker, medium sized refrigerator, and faucet), and a bathroom with separate vanity area. We found the room to be comfortable and set up well.

The room was very clean and the cleaning staff did a great job keeping us stocked up with towels and toiletries.

The breakfast was a little repetitive, but the food tasted good and there were still enough choices that it was fine. They always offer muffins, bagels, cereals, pancakes, biscuits and sausage gravy, yogurt, fruit, delicious hot cinnamon buns, as well as coffee, tea, and juices. Then they switch between having scrambled eggs and sausage, scrambled eggs and bacon, and cheese omelets with sausage/bacon. There are enough things to choose from and it's included for free, so it was fine. I was a little disappointed to be in GA and not be able to have grits for breakfast. They had packets of grits where you add hot water, but I had expected they would have the real thing and was a little bummed, but cheered myself up with one of the cinnamon buns instead.

On Monday to Thursday, they also have a happy hour with wine, beer, lemonade, and iced tea, along with snacks such as cocktail meatballs, Chinese veggies, chips and salsa, hot dogs, and fruit salad. It was a nice bonus. We were there dealing with some tough family issues, so it was nice to be able to come back in the evening and settle down with a drink and some snacks. Every night they also have cookies out for the taking, as well as a bowl of apples.

The fitness center is small, but seemed to have good quality equipment. The pool is also small, but heated to a perfect temperature so we spent a lot of extra time swimming. It's also opened until 10 p.m., so we often managed to get in a swim in the morning and then a swim at night before we settled in for the evening.

The staff at the hotel was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We were always greeted with a smile whenever we saw any staff members. They really made us feel welcomed.

They also have a small laundry room with a washer and dryer. The detergent costs $1, and each of the machines is $1 to run. We washed a couple loads of laundry and each time had to run the dryer twice to dry our clothes. The front desk can provide quarters, so count on $4 to wash and dry a load and buy detergent.

We were also happy with the hotel's location, close enough to just about everything from downtown to Buckhead. Everywhere we went ended up being about a half hour drive, so we never felt too far away from anything.

There is a Publix grocery story about a block away. Across the street and down the road there are also a variety of restaurants from McDonalds to sushi to mediterranean cuisine. We highly recommend the Mediterranean Grill across the street. We loved the food there so much that we actually got several meals from there. The Community BBQ restaurant on nearby Clairmont Road was also great, everything we tried there was fantastic.

The only criticism of the hotel would be the super slow elevator. There is only one elevator for the whole hotel and it seems to run slowly regardless of how many people are using it. You wait even if no one else is using it. If stairs had been nearby we would have just used them instead, but they were at the ends of the halls, so we ended up waiting for the elevator. Not that big of a deal, but it was a little bit of an annoyance during an otherwise near perfect stay at a hotel.

I did a lot of hotel searching throughout the Atlanta area for this trip. There are other hotels around that are fancier or offer more amenities, but the rates they charge are outrageous. If you are looking for a clean hotel with easy access to everything, as well as having free breakfast, free happy hour, a fitness center, laundry room, friendly staff, and wonderfully warm indoor pool, all for an affordable price, then you can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Osceola Mills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a nice clean hotel. The breakfast buffet was mediocre, could definitely add some more fresh fruit. The pool was not warm. But the manager bent over backwards to make up for the cold pool. It's a good place to stay if you are in the Atlanta area for a few days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

It has everything you want with no frills. The price is right, the hotel is clean and tidy and the rooms are just fine. The staff seems to actually enjoy what they're doing and go out of their way to be helpful. What more do you want? If you're looking for a comfortable place to lay your head for the night, it's perfect. If you're looking for a place to hold a fancy wedding with 300 guests in formal wear, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Even the room on the 2nd floor overlooking the lobby was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Ron D,

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Atlanta-Emory University Area? Share your experiences!