“Great visit!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amicalola Falls Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dawsonville
Amicalola Falls Lodge
You added Amicalola Falls Lodge to your Saves list
418 Amicalola Falls Lodge Road, Dawsonville, GA 30534   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Dawsonville
Cocoa, Florida
“Great visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I just completed a 3 night stay at the lodge and loved it! I had concerns prior to arrival about some of the things I read online. In our experience, they were unfounded. The room, lobby, restaurant, etc., were all very clean. Yes it has a little age to it, but the lodge, itself, was neat and clean. The staff could not have been friendlier.

We loved spending time in the lobby just enjoying the view. If you enjoy photography, like I do, it's an amazing place. I took some of my favorite photos during this visit. The waterfalls are something else!

The food at the restaurant was very good. It did, however, take longer than it should have to arrive at our table. It did not bother us, because we were there to get away for a few days and relax. We were in no hurry. This is a problem that does need addressing, though.

I think when you stay here, you have to understand where you are. This is not a 5 star hotel. It's a lodge in the woods and you have to plan accordingly. There is no food (other than the restaurant), gas, or other amenities close by, but that's o.k. We knew this going in.

Overall, we were very pleased with Amicalola Falls Lodge. A return trip is definitely in the plans!

Steve W.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I bought this experience on groupon...I usually pick very nice spots for quick getaways, but I missed on this one!!! The location is nice, but it is quite a trek from Atlanta, so get ready. Upon getting checked in the staff was nice and the lobby looked nice as well. Once we got to the room our experience started to go down hill. The rooms are very outdated and everything needs to be renovated. My initial response to the room was disappointment! As I sprayed Lysol all over the room I found strands of hair on the bed, luckily I bought some linen to ace over the bed. Pillows very flat, bathroom light really dim during the day...the room just didn't look as clean as it could have been. The best part of the room was the view, it was gorgeous. Went to the restaurant for dinner, the buffet was a joke...the food was not replenished well after a big group and it was over priced for what they were giving you. We decided to order burgers from the menu. It took 45 min for us to get the burgers, the manager did take care of our bill bc of the long wait and offered us dessert. The cakes were super dry, glad we did not have to pay. Got back to the room to try to think on the bright side to only wake up the next morning with no hot water. I'm done and over it!!! I want a refund at this point. Please do more research before coming here and font be sold be the pictures.

• Stayed February 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This lodge property really had potential but was so dirty and rundown. The walls were filthy, the shower curtain was moldy, The bathroom floor was disgusting, the carpeting throughout the property was dirty, the stairs and carpets, the furniture in the rooms looks liked it was from the 70's and has not been cleaned since. There were pieces of candy on the floor and straw that even after the cleaning crew came in were still there. The lamp shades were dirty. There was NOTHING clean in the place. Walking into the restaurant there was water leaking from the ceiling and you could not use the main entrance to the restaurant, coffee cups dirty, and the serving units were covered in dust.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Braselton, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Amicalola Falls Lodge is state-operated. It's part of the Amicalola Falls State Park. The lodge itself is 4 stories. Except for a restaurant and gift shop, there are no on-site amenities (no pool, game room, bar). The meals at the restaurant are okay. They had a dinner buffet and a breakfast buffet that were okay, but nothing to write home about. You can also order off the menu. We had a room on the top floor. There are no balconies in any of the rooms and no smoking in the lodge. The Lodge is at the top of the Amicalola Falls, and the 425 step stairway alongside the tumbling waterfalls makes it a worthwhile experience to be there. There is also a path leading to the starting point of the Appalachian Trail in the Georgia area. The state park has picnic tables and small trails. This is a good lodge to stay at if you like the outdoors.

Room Tip: All rooms have a beautiful western view of the Blue Ridge mountains.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cynthia S, General Manager at Amicalola Falls Lodge, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you for visiting and we look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. We also offer many special events and wonderful on-site naturalist programs that you may enjoy on your next visit.
Eatonton, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I, my husband, son and daughter in law stayed in cabin 9 on 1/3 and 1/4. We have stayed in cabins all over and have never found one like this. This cabin was dirty, very cold(no heat in living area or bathrooms), the bundles of wood you "sold" us was so green it wouldn't burn!, Coffee maker didn't work, Tv didn't work, towels and bath cloths had a bad smell to them, whole cabin needs to be updated, no dish detergent or bathroom tissue! had to go to town and buy our own! This is the worse place we have ever stayed in and I would not recommend anyone staying here anywhere . We certainly will not be back! I handed the lady a list at checkout with all this stuff listed and all they could offer us was a 20% discount which was like a slap in the face. I feel we should've gotten more since this crabby cabin costs us 124.00 per nite! She said the updating was to start this month but I see in other reviews written customers being told the same thing months ago. Obviously no renovations have been done yet! Not sure how this place stays open . I guess by unknowing people like us that thought the cabins would be nice for that kind of money. I will expect to see a reply from this review.

Room Tip: My tip is......go stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
I apologize that we fell short of your expectations. We are diligently working to assure that every guest has a wonderful expereince when they stay with us, and we are earnestly disappointed when we fall short of that goal. We are an older facility, and we do anticipate renovation to be underway shortly. If you would like to contact me directly at the lodge, I would like to discuss your stay with you personally and keep you informed as we move into the the through the renovation process over the coming months.
Brooksville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Had 2 of the upper cabins for parents 50th anniversary, The floors were filthy, lamp shade was held together with rubber bands, bathroom to small to dress in, shower fixture broken, carpet in bedrooms not vacuumed, beds not big enough for two adults, dusty old spider webs, poor outside lighting, never received clean linens at one of the cabins. VERY outdated, felt like we were at a $40 motel minus the flashing vacancy sign. We also went to the lodge for lunch BIG mistake, the dollar menu at a fast food place would have been a better choice. I warn everyone to do their research before staying here.

Room Tip: Bring your RV and stay at campground
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Cynthia S, General Manager at Amicalola Falls Lodge, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
First let me apologize that we fell short in providing you an excellent stay. I am the brand new general manager and am looking forward to working with Lori and her team to address each of your concerns. We appreciate your feed-back and take your concerns seriously. I do hope you will visit us again in the future and allow us another opportunity to provide you with an outstanding experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at 706-265-8888.
Peachtree City, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights there for Thanksgiving visit with family - our second year for dinner. Staff and reservations were excellent. Rooms were clean and well appointed.

Food fell short this year. Staff was very helpful, but everyone in our party complained of tough roast beef. Other food was good but not great. Breakfast buffet day after Thanksgiving was poor.

They provided a good presentation of live owls- presentation was very good and provided something to keep the youngsters busy while waiting for their table.

Overall we loved the lodge but felt they need to take a hard look at the food service.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and in particular, the live owl show that Lauretta does – I will share your kind words with her. I am brand new to the property and I am looking forward to working with the team here. I do hope you will visit us again soon. I regret that your restaurant experience was disappointing and I will be working to assure that every meal and every guest experience is exceptional. We value your business and want to become your first choice in travel for the North Georgia Mountains.

Been to Amicalola Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!