“Just day-hiked in and out (very happy we didn't stay the night.)” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Len Foote Hike Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dawsonville
Len Foote Hike Inn
You added Len Foote Hike Inn to your Saves list
Amicalola Falls State Park, Dawsonville, GA 30534   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Dawsonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Just day-hiked in and out (very happy we didn't stay the night.)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We arrived around 4pm Saturday, March 17th, and were shocked at all the children running around *screaming*. So much for a "restful" environment. I seriously do not understand why they ban phones and liquor when they do nothing to provide an actual peaceful, calm getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Sadly, this place has ended up like most "family friendly" places in Amercia- crawling with screaming kids ignored by their parents. (I wish I was as good at tuning them out as the parents seem to be.) So disappointed! We'll leave this place to families with kids.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at he Hike Inn once before and enjoyed our stay greatly. This trip was no different, everything was great. The staff even recognized us from from our last trip a year ago. They are very considerate and constantly checking to see that everything is satisfactory. The food is something we always look forward to, especially after and before the hike. The views during the hike and from the inn are amazing.
The hike inn is very Eco friendly and if you are not very conservation minded you may not like it. They have composting toilets, which some people may not like, which I generally do not from previous bad experiences. However, these composting toilets are completely different from the ones I was accustomed to back when I was a boy scout. These toilets do not have a smell and actually have a cool refreshing breeze that comes out of them, which can be a little disconcerting at first. They are also conserve energy and run everything through solar power, even heating the water through solar power, which gets pretty hot.
I have seen comments about there either being too much or not enough food, which is completely ridiculous. I am a pretty big guy and I can tell you I have never left their dining room hungry, and if I have left stuffed that was my own fault not theirs. They have a rule that you eat what you put on your plate and leave nothing, to reduce waste. A good rule of thumb is put too little and repeat if you need to so that there is little chance of you not eating it all, there is more than enough food to repeat. If you should leave something on the plate you are not scolded as they stated. They do weight the scraps and should the weight of the scraps exceed the set goal they will put a sad face on the dry erase board for that meal. Regardless of whether that happens you are not going to have a staff member reprimanding you should you leave something on your plate, as was stated I other comments. They only ask that you be conscious of what you eat and leave behind. You are also required to pack out all trash that you bring in with you, a logical request I believe.
Ultimately it is a great get away, from everything and if you don't mind being a little more Eco consciencious you'll love it here. I will definitely be returning, hopefully one day when I am getting ready to do the AT.

Stayed April 2012
Lakewood
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

The scenery and hike are nice, and accomidations are rustic but adequate. The staff will corner guests and begin rambling away even when nobody is interested and bored to tears. We didn't like being lectured at, and scolded for our lifestyle choices. We were also FORCED to overeat even when we were full.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cleveland heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We took our family of five (kids ages 11, 8 and 5) on the hike to the inn. The hike was a little tough for our youngest. We carried him on the uphills but it was all worn it when we arrived. Beware the first mile and a half was the hardest for our kids but after that they were good to go. Cold lemonade and southern sweet tea awaited us upon arrival.

The inn is a sprawling structure made up of five different buildings draping down a hillside. We reserved two adjoining rooms for our group of five. Each room had two beds ( bunks) leaving one of us to use a thin mattress on the floor. We did not use this option and chose to squish in the four beds. So...if you have an odd number in your party and you hear there are three beds in a room, know that one of those is on the floor.

Besides that, everything was great. Being conservation minded, you select a mug when you arrive, label it with your name and use it for the stay to reduce water usage by not washing
extra glasses. Meals were served family style and the was plenty of choice for the non- red meat eater and three picky kids to still get their fill. When eating the idea is to eat what you serve yourself to reduce food waste. Also if you create trash, you need to pack it out with you ( this doesn't include toilet paper) so bring a few plastic bags.

There are showers and toilets ( composting variety but smell free). There is a rustic room with games, books and even a guitar overlooking the forest. All but one of us was up at 7 am to watch a gorgeous sunrise. Probably could have stayed two days and chilled the middle day reading, hiking etc. but we left the following morning.

For those of you who are more serious hikers you can make this a more strenuous loop by either coming or going via the appalachain trail feeder route. You could also take a hike to set foot othe actual AT from the Hike Inn. Amicalola state park also has some nice options that we did not explore.

Our kids loved this experience and said they wanted to come back. Hopefully we will.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Marietta, Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is a great mini-vacation 1.5 hours north of Atlanta! Park in Amicalola State Park and make a little harder than easy hike into a rustic lodge that does have hot water & blow dryers. Have a wonderful family style dinner, nice sleep in a bunk, hearty breakfast and hike out again. Beautiful views and great staff. Have done this twice once with 12 ten year old girl scouts and once as a girl trip...good for all ages! NO TV or cell service :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

My fiancee and I are just getting into hiking and decided to try out the 5 mile trek after finding a Groupon for the Inn. It was strenuous for us at times with a nice bit of uphill but it was so much fun! We met other Hike-Inn patrons on the hike up and enjoyed really great conversations with the people we sat with at dinner and breakfast. This place is like no other place I've ever been and I've raved about it to all my city friends.

The lowdown: You check-in at the Amicalola Falls visitor center then drive to the Hike-Inn parking lot. There you find the trail-head for HIke-Inn and you start your 5 mile hike to the Inn! You have to check-in at the visitor center before 2p because they want you at the Inn by 5p for a tour of the facility followed by a family-style dinner at 6p. The tour tells a bit about the history of the Inn and they show you all the eco-friendly practices they implement there. For instance, you pick out one cup and one mug and place a label on it with your name. To save water they ask that you please use that same cup and mug during your stay. During meals you can eat all that you want but they ask for you not to take more then you can finish. At the end of dinner and breakfast they weigh any leftovers on visitor's plates and give a smiley or frowny face depending on the weight of the leftovers. It's fun and quirky, and if you bring kids this place is a great example of how to leave a small carbon footprint. They also have a unique recycling system for the restrooms and as a byproduct you will receive a constant, cool rush of air to accompany your visits. Makes it quite chilly in February (when we went) but they do have individual room heaters in each bathroom.

After dinner they had a presentation done by the manager of the Inn on his thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. It was really interesting and informative and although I was inspired before, it only reignited my desire to hike the AT. After the presentation (which was optional) we went to the Sunrise Room where people were playing cards and board games. There were shelves of games, puzzles, and books. We went to the porch overlooking the valley below and drank from the unlimited supply of hot coco until we were ready to call it a night.

The Inn consists of 4 buildings all of which are built on stilts. The first building is the bunkhouse where the main office and the lodging is at. The cabins are very small with 2 bunkbeds in each. If you want a romantic getaway you will have to snuggle on a twin size bed or accept that bunkbeds are awesome. The second building is the bathhouse. It has male and female shower rooms and a number of individual bathrooms. While there are no electrical outlets anywhere else at the Inn, there are ones located in the shower area in case you need to juice your phone or GPS. The third building is the family-style dining room with picnic like seating around the room. They keep beverages available all night and throughout the day. The last building is the Sunrise room filled with games and puzzles.

The Inn is something special and it was wonderful to wake up and see the sunrise over the mountains. There are actually two trails to get to the Inn so on the way back out we took the opposite way (a 5.3 mile hike and much more strenuous then the way we came in.) Along that trail you can divert off and head the extra 4 miles up to Springer Mountain and visit the southern terminus of the AT. They also provide sack lunches for a $6 fee.

My only real negative: I wasn't a big fan of the game selection in the Sunrise room. I was really looking forward to Battleship as it was pictured on their site but I was out of luck. Many of the games were geared toward kids or families which is understandable. The manager actually told us that they maintain their game supply from people bringing ones to leave or in some cases even mailing them in advance so they don't have to hike in with them.

I couldn't have been happier with our stay and we're hoping to get back during the Fall, although that is their peak season.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cartersville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We had a great time when we went in January. The weather was perfect and the hike was really enjoyable. It wasn't too hard, so don't be scared away by the fact that it is 5 miles. The lodge itself was really comfortable and the food was great. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. Make sure you save some time for the tour of the facilities. It was interesting to see how they make the inn so ecofriendly. It was a wonderful experience, though if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. The rooms aren't well insulated from noise from other rooms. I was worried that it might be cold, based on some of the other reviewers, but we were quite toasty warm! This was truly a unique experience, and you get to know your fellow guests. I highly recommend visiting!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Len Foote Hike Inn? Share your experiences!