“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Darien
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

After comparing the hotels at this exit, we chose this one as it is the top rated. Upon arriving in our room we were very disappointed. The carpet needs cleaning and updating. Our white socks were black and in some areas the carpet was worn so thin, we could see sub-floor. The beds were average but the old style comforter just doesn't feel clean. In the morning the breakfast was below mediocre and we decided to go out to breakfast. The eating area is very small with only 4 tables to accommodate all the guests. We'd plan to start late this day and swim a bit, but the pool water was dingy and 'thick' looking- we decided against it.
Finally when showering to get on with our day, the exhaust in the bathroom did not working steaming and then leaving moisture on everything in the bathroom.

We might stay here again, but we'd more than likely push through to Pooler/Savannah.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stopped at this Comfort Inn on both outbound and return legs to Charlotte, NC. Very convenient location and Great seafood restaurants in town. The motel is fine, but the service personnel were EXCELLENT! I had a reservation on Hotels.com that didn't show up on their computer; the PM Front Desk (Marie Collins) spent time and effort to clear the problem, make my reservation and confirm that Hotels.com would not charge twice for the room. Marie really went out of her way to help me-A+! On the return, Stephanie Pachmayer, PM Front Desk, was courteous and helpful also, made good food recommendations, and also gave me Marie's name so that I could commend her. Kudos to both and to the owners who hired these ladies to work in Darien. I will return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Middletown, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Generally nice, pleasant enough check-in, altho the girl at the Front Desk was apparently new and gave me totally incorrect information regarding payments. The kicker was when I went to take a shower and pulled closed the shower curtain, there were TWO DIRTY washcloths on the shower rod that apparently were not taken by housekeeping. Not cool. Other than that, nice breakfast and pleasant stay...but wouldn't stay again because of this. I expected a better compensation than just a "sorry, here are two fresh washcloths."

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Oak Island, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My sister and I decided to have a long overdue visit so I drove from NC, her husband drove her from Florida and we met at the Inn in Darien. My sister has some physical disabilities, we had three small dogs and we just wanted some quiet time around the pool and to eat at local restaurants. We knew the elevator would be a plus and expected the room to be clean and the bed comfortable. What we didn't expect was the warmth and genuine care from Chuck and Stephanie. They respect their staff and it shows on all their friendly faces. I had technical issues with my computer and Chuck gave me lots of help, over and over again and always with a smile. I left a component behind when we checked out and Stephanie found it and is mailing it back to me. Her attitude was," No problem, happy to do it." The pool is clean and warm, the grounds are well kept and when they say "dog friendly" they mean it. Chuck and Stephanie are happy to help with anything you need from directions to restaurants to extra towels. Yes, it's not the Taj Mahal but if you want a comfortable stay where you feel REALLY welcome, stay here. Thanks you guys!

Room Tip: If you have pets stay closer to one end or the other for easier access to outside. Bring your own b...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Panama City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I see that others experienced a wet-dog smell. We found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be friendly. There were, indeed, many dogs in many rooms on both floors. When we were greeted a bit too enthusiastically by a barker while walking in the hall, the management agreed to move us to a room further removed from the end where at least three dogs were in the rooms. They assured us that the rooms were sound-proof and we wouldn't have heard the dog inside; but, they didn't balk in honoring our request for a room-change.

The room for breakfast is a bit squeezed and a few condiments (salt and pepper) were hard to come by. But, all in all, the convenience of location to I-95, availability of other places to eat nearby, and cost make up for any deficits or inconveniences.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Perfectly okay stop on I95 except that the whole building smelled awful--kind of a musty, damp, wet-dog smell. I suppose being a pet-friendly hotel had a lot to do with it. I could have gone elsewhere but I was exhausted at that point and decided to put up with the smell. No more pet-friendly hotels for me.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We haven't stayed in this hotel, but we can speak to the extraordinary service provided by Chuck and Stephanie. Somehow a reservation was mistakenly make for us, which included the numbers for our credit card, Choice membership, and AAA membership, as well as e-mail address. Upon receiving a confirmation e-mail, we immediately called and spoke with Chuck who went right to work. Follow-up conversations with Chuck and then Stephanie solved the issue and helped avoid having to stop using our credit card. You can be assured that if we are ever in the area that we will be staying at this motel. However, we are still waiting for the call center to explain how this could happen.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Darien? Share your experiences!