“Upscale food in casual atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, International, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Enjoy Casual Fine Dining in a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. Chef Eric,a world class Chef with over 30 years of restaurant experience, offers an ever changing fresh seasonal menu and a wine list with choices from around the world. Chef Eric also offers a nightly "Taste & Sip" Wine Pairing Dinner with 3 delicious courses perfectly paired with 3 fantastic wines for only $45! You can dine in any one of our distinctive rooms, our King George Room which reflects the feel of the 1867 Southern Vernacular Victorian, or our Riviera Room which makes you feel like your in the south of Spain or relax with some tasty hors d'oeuvres and a glass of delicious wine in our Central Wine Bar or choose to sip and nash in our Blue Mermaid Lounge. Come enjoy fresh local ingredients sprinkled with international flavor all served up with a heaping spoon of southern hospitality.
Jekyll Island, Georgia
“Upscale food in casual atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Darien River House used to be a bed and breakfast and only opened in early summer as a restaurant. We actually went to Darien for another restaurant, but when we saw it was closed, this was our fallback. We are really glad the other place wasn't open, this restaurant was superb! We chose to eat on the porch, but the house is full rooms with tables. They have 2 fer price fixe specials....we went for the $35 one which allowed us to choose any entree from the menu. My husband and I each got a different appetizer -- the shrimp and olive bruschetta for him, and I got the blue crab stuffed mushroom caps. OMG -- amazing. We then both had the fish chowder - very good. All the while munching on delicious yeast made rolls (just like grandma made) fresh out of the oven. Our bread basket was always full. My husband had the shrimp and grits and I had the pecan crusted grouper with lemon honey. My dish was fantastic and my husband cleaned his plate as well (smile). We both raved about how good our food was. The special includes dessert but I could not eat another bite. My husband found room for the Banana's Foster which he said was equally fantastic. Icing on the cake was half price drinks. We both tried wines from their extensive list. Definitely worth the trip and the money! Don't bother to dress up if you don't want to.... we had on shorts and felt right at home.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“The best Shrimp and Grits EVER. fluffy...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010 via mobile

The best Shrimp and Grits EVER. fluffy light creamy grits surrounded by sweet Shrimp and tasso ham gravy.... and the grilled peach dessert is another hit! The hospitality is also warm and inviting overseen by Chef Eric's mom. cant wait to return; a visit here is a must in everyone's bucket list-whether young or older u gotta go!

Darien, Gerogia
“Doesn't Get any Better Than This.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

My fifth time dining here. Never had the same thing twice and it is all great! The menu changes with the season so there is always something new to try.

los angeles
“delicious food & lovely ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

This place is fantastic. A lovely local who had taken my friend and I (in town from NYC) on a fantastic eco tour of the area (http://colonialcoastecotours.com) had recommended The River House for Sunday brunch. Having dined around the world, we're hard to impress "foodies". It was fabulous! The food is reasonably priced and every dish was scrumptious. The waiters were super sweet and attentive. We met the chef's lovely mother (who was playing hostess). A few months later, I requested my fiancée take me there for my birthday. He's english and it was his first experience of southern cuisine. He was very pleased. We had a fabulous dinner. The chef came out afterwards and introduced himself. It has a lovely atmosphere and the food is mouthwatering. They also have a nice selection of wine and beer. Just thinking about the "shrimp and grits" makes my mouth water. Darien is a beautiful area and The River House and Sheryl Schooley's eco tour are well worth the trip.

Sarasota, Florida
“Down-home cooking with a Gourmet twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

A family-run restaurant with a highly-trained chef. It's in a restored old house. Good service. The shrimp bisque is superb, salads good. As an entree, I enjoyed Shrimp and Grits -- beautifully presented and delicious. However the portions were much too large. The restaurant has an excellent wine selection by the glass or by the bottle.