“Always GREAT” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Hixson, Tennessee
“Always GREAT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

This is our favorite Restaurant in Dalton also to include Chattanooga. We eat here ofter and always have great food and service. The seafood will make you think you're on the beach and the steaks always just as ordered.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dalton
“Take-Out - Not a good idea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Well, I was hyped up because my son told me about the delish fried green tomatoes with goat cheese and the goat cheese salad. So, I thought I'd order take-out for lunch. I called and placed my order and mind you, I only have one hour for lunch. About 10 minutes after I placed my order, the waitress called me stating they were out of goat cheese! Out of goat cheese!!! Ok folks, if a restaurant is properly run, you don't run out of food. Had it been 1:00 in the afternoon, I might sympathize thinking that maybe they had a huge lunch rush ordering goat cheese, but it was 11:25 people!!! Why are you out of anything that early in the day? And when I left, the Cisco Foods delivery truck was parked out back! Did he have a flat tire or something and couldn't make it before the lunch rush? Poor planning on the restaurant manager's part and the chef for that matter.

So, I opted for the Santa Fe Salad. I should have looked more closely at the menu before I ordered this because who ever heard of a Santa Fe Salad with cranberries and walnuts? If they had given me a nice balsamic, this would have been good, but horseradish dressing with cranberries! Not good. And if you like stems on your spinach, you'll love this because there were more stems than leaves! Then, there's this soggy bread when at first look, I thought it was half a baked potato with cheese on it. Too soggy for me.

I'll give them props for the horseradish dressing because it was good. However, it would have been better with a bloomin onion to dip. Or if the salad had been true Santa Fe with tortilla stips and hearts of romaine. The grilled chicken was pretty good but looked as though it had been cooked on a grill that had not been cleaned in several shifts!

I will go back to try the fried green tomatoes with goat cheese and the goat cheese salad. Maybe they'll be better prepared next time. Oh yea, I waited 20 minutes after driving 10 minutes to pick it up. Guess that was to be expected. However, when I call into O'Charley's for a salad, it takes me 10 minutes to get there and they come right out with my food.

I would recommend the Depot but not for take-out. Another down side to eating there is the smell of stale cigarette smoke which filters from the Trackside bar on the other side of the building. It's horrible and for those of us who despise that smell, you need to ask to be seated in the back by the kitchen as far away from the smell as possible. So, then you get the kitchen noise and traffic but not as much stale cigarette smell. Either way, there's a downside to eating at the Depot. All in all though, I will go back because they have other good entrees, I am told. People should be aware of what to expect though when heading to the Depot. Definitely not a glamorous place to eat.

I would recommend this to a friend but I will make them aware of the downsides.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Georgia
“What's Up With That?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

I had been directed to google restaurants in Dalton, GA and discovered The Dalton Depot had good - excellent ratings on TripAdvisor, Yahoo.com, and google.com. The reader needs to understand that we live 30 miles below the Atlanta Airport, some 146 miles from Dalton Depot. Their website had a link to a mouthwatering, varied menu.

The website also had a link to a calendar to which I did try to establish a link. The page came up and a calendar was displayed with June 20th having a red bar highlight, but nothing else. On or about June 5th I called to obtain assurances that the Depot would be open for lunch, June 20th, Father's Day. The person on the other end did assure me that The Dalton Depot would be open for business as usual. I then secured a reservation for 10 persons for an 80th birthday party for my wife's father and include Father's Day for 12:00.

The family met and went in to be seated. The wait person took drink orders, and I asked for a menu while waiting for one member of the party to arrive. The wait person then informed us that being Father's Day, that there was only a Father's Day Buffet, the menu was not offered that day. We had driven 2 hours for a buffet. And not even all that good or varied a buffet at that. 1/2 of the party complained of cold food, the other 1/2 said their food was satisfactory. I picked up fried fish (grouper?) and oven(?) roasted potatoes. Both were stone cold and had a southern road kill flavor. My daughter disagreed with my evaluation saying that hers was "good". The aged and venerable parents said theirs was very good.

Had my wife and I been traveling together along the highway, we would have left the moment the wait person announced the substitution menu. We were totally blindsided by this "special" event. We were expecting Fried Goat Cheese Salad and maybe try the Frog Legs. Instead I get cold fish and chips, and she had some kind of white meat in some kind of white sauce, with something that was harvested years ago as a sweet potato. Captain D's on a bad day serves better fish and chips, and a green vegetable or two.

Too bad for the server it was a cheap buffet. We came prepared to spend $250+ on lunch, with at least a $35 gratuity. Instead she received 50% less tip, and the restaurant bill was 1/2 what we intended to spend.

If and it is a big if, we are traveling through Dalton again during meal time, we will give the place a second chance with a shot at the real menu. BTW We did see a corner table being served hot vegetables and salads not on the buffet. What's Up With That?

Spartan Caver, Fayetteville, GA

dacula
“Saturday Night March 13, 2010”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

My wife and I visited the restaurant and found the atmosphere very good, except for the smokey bar area, The service was excellent, the seafood lasagna which I had was very good but my wife's fish was not memorable and was bland. I would be willing to try it again but it didn't knock our socks off the first time there. I'm rating it very good based on the service and atmosphere.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dalton
“Only average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

WE just ate here on March 6 2010, and the atmosphere was lovely and nice. Our service person seemed to be in a bit of a bad mood but was gracious anyway. Our tea stayed full, and our meal was brought to us promptly however the baked potatoes were clearly old and brown. The steak were massive, thick and wonderful but just had a so so flavor. They were cooked to our specifications. We also had dessert and it was also just so so. We expected a lot more for the price - 3 people ordering steaks and one desert was $75.00. We will probably go back and give it another chance though.