“"There's GOLD in them thar hills!"” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 16 Activities in Dahlonega
Type: Mines, Amusement
More attraction details
Owner description: Here at Crisson Gold Mine you can Pan for Real Dahlonega Gold, and look for Gemstones. We have instructors that are willing to help you and your family have a fun adventure. We also offer the use of Trommels, Highbankers, Gold cubes to the person that wants to do more than just pan. Please call us to find out more information. The Crisson Gold Mine has a lot of history. It is an actual open pit gold mine that was established in 1847 and was worked commercially until the early 1980s. We've been open to the public since 1969 and we are the oldest gold mining establishment in North Georgia. At Crisson Gold Mine, there is a 130-year-old stamp mill that is still used to crush quartz rock which contains gold. This crushed rock is called ore. In addition to the stamp mill, we have rod mills and jaw crushers that we occasionally use. All of these antique gold mining machines along with our open pit mine can be seen when you visit our gold mine. We sell our ore by the 5-gallon bucket. You can pan for the gold at our gold mine, or you can take the ore home with you. For our more serious gold miners, we have trommels for your use during your visit to Crisson Gold Mine. These machines are used to separate the gold from the sand at a much more efficient pace. Several buckets of ore can be finished in less than half the time it takes to pan them out. New for 2014 you can now purchase a pan of quartz rock and use our crusher to crush them, then pan out the gold. This has been a big hit. Especially for the more serious miners.
COMMERCE
5 attraction reviews
“"There's GOLD in them thar hills!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014

Our trip to the Crisson Gold mine was a great adventure. This was during the 'off season' in mid Dec, so we got there shortly after they opened and had the place to ourselve for a couple of hours. We opt'd to use a trommel and front end loader scoop of crushed ore. Let me explain the operation. The Crisson mine is an open pit mine somewhere nearby, where they collect the gold bearing quartz veins and bring it to the store/stamp mill/panning site. The ore is crushed with an historic stampmill where it ends up looking like a very coarse sand mixture. It is stored in a big pile where you select how much you want to pay for. You can select a pan, small bucket, large bucket, or a loader scoop! They also rent various equipment for you to use depending on the amount you buy. So, you never know how much gold is in the sand you get, but you are pretty much guaranteed to find some. It's alot of fun to spend an hour or two or all day. They also sell gemstone buckets you can search through. Scattered around the panning area are various pieces of historical gold mining equipment, really educational.

The store has a huge collection gold prospecting equipment such as: dredges, metal detectors, sluice boxes, etc. Too much stuff to mention. Since the ore they mine is from quartz veins, they select some pieces and have 'gold in quartz' jewelry made from it. If you haven't seen this, it is beautiful. To sum it up, the Crisson Gold Mine is fun for all ages any season of the year. You never know if you might find that that big nugget.

Visited December 2014

Circleville, Ohio
“Good times at the mine1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

I have been going to the Crisson Gold Mine since the late 1980's. Tony and Tammy are always very nice and helpful. In October 2014 my wife was on her way home from Florida and stopped to get me a 1 gallon concentrate can. I panned it sitting in my living room in Ohio. I am currently writing this review from my hotel room in Dahlonega where my wife and I arrived yesterday. We checked into our hotel, unloaded the car, and headed to the Crisson Mine where I panned 2 pans since it was getting late. Went back this morning for the tractor scoop in the trommel. I found 2 small nuggets and a LOT of flake. I have found gold with every visit to Crisson. It is always a good time at the mine! Highly recommended!!!!!!!

Visited December 2014
Cornelia, Georgia
“Birthday outing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2014

My husband and I had a great time celebrating our birthdays panning for gems. Would recommend this for all ages. The staff were very friendly and had alot of information.

Visited November 2014
georgia
“Family Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

Me and my Family went here for the weekend and we had the most fun. My Husband tried the new rock crushers they have and me with the kids we got the high grade gemstone buckets.. We came home with Gold and Gems. The Gems where not trash they where good quality and I am going to have some jewelry made for the girls to remember our time together in the little town of Dahlonega. And also we where surprised to see all the gold my husband found. There is real Gold in the rocks he crushed and we all had a laid back time .. We will make this a family outing for every year with the kids. Thank you Crisson Gold Mine .. Hope to see you again soon :)

Visited November 2014
“Stingy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014

Went to see the workings of a gold mine, instead found unfriendly staff, sand peppered with gold and not very interesting history. The real shock was when I was accused of stealing rocks..really! The entire parking lot is filled with them..unbelievable! If you're not allowed to take the rocks put up a sign, people!

Been to Crisson Gold Mine? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Crisson Gold Mine, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.