“Romantic getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center

You added Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center to your Saves list
Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center
135 Forest Hills Road, Dahlonega, GA 30533   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dahlonega
Clearwater, Florida
“Romantic getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Reviewed October 23, 2013 for a stay in October 2013
We have stayed at Forrest Hills twice and will return to this hidden gem soon. A few miles outside of Dahlonega, but close enough wineries, golf, water falls and town to provide plenty of activities for couples or families. We stayed in a luxury cabin that was comfortable, clean and private. With a fireplace and hot tub, it makes a great romantic getaway.
Our package included breakfast each morning and one dinner. The food is good but not "gourmet". The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Wifi is not available in the cabins and not real strong at the resturant

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is our second time staying at Forrest Hills and the experience gave us yet another great memory of the place.

We chose to stay in the very same cabin we did the first time...I think our previous visit was December '06. The cabin is now called luxury cabin #3. It's situated nicely on the property, close to the gazebos where weddings take place. The woods were full this time, compared to a December stay previously when much of the leaves were bare. It was really nice enjoying the back porch views and the breeze and seeing how wooded it really was around the property. Additionally, because it had been so many years since our previous visit, the plants all around the cabin on the little "driveway" to it had grown in considerably. This made things even more private.

The things we loved the most the last time we were here were still the top points of our trip. It was our 10 year anniversary and it was nice to enjoy the peace and quiet and have romantic dinners in the Secret Garden Dining Room. There were a lot more guests this time around but the service was just as cheerful, helpful and fast as before.

Dinners in the Secret Garden Dining Room are a highlight. It's so nice to dine in a romantic atmosphere where there aren't children making noise at the table next to you. The music was a little more eclectic this time - sometimes more modern and sassy than romantic, but overall I liked it better than last time.

Meals were delicious. The steaks were prepared just the way you want and very flavorful. There was one evening where we had what I think was a butterfinger cheesecake or maybe it was butterscotch. Whatever it was, it was one of the best cheesecakes I've ever had. The salad each night was great and the iced tea was freshly brewed. Service was very attentive. And we remarked again how happy we were to include meals in our stay where we could come and eat without having to worry about checks and cashing out... you finish your meal and leave when you're done. It's so simple and comfortable. The only item on the menu that I did not care for was the catfish one night. Other than that, everything was very tasty and kept at perfect temperatures. Southern style breakfast each morning was delicious but it's also very filling when you do buffet style like that. By the seventh day, I was a little "over" having a big breakfast so we skipped our final meal there to hit the road early without getting over-full.

The hottub which sits in its own room off the bedroom is another highlight. Again, we used it every single day and it was so nice to look out at the trees while soaking in warm water, listening to the radio.

The bed. Again, I miss the bed. I know they sell the mattresses there and if I could come pick one up, I would. The first time we stayed here, we remarked how relaxed and well rested we felt. It was the same again. Slept like babies.

The only thing we did differently this time is we did not have dinner at the resort every night. We stayed 7 nights and ate there for four of the evenings. On the other evenings we ventured into town and had great meals. I'm going to post reviews for those restaurants soon in the hopes it helps steer others in the right direction. I do think there are some really nice restaurants in Dahlonega so I recommend you don't plan every meal at the resort unless it's part of your overall plans to stay on the property. You will just miss out because if you eat a buffet breakfast and a buffet dinner each time, you don't have the belly room to try what the town has to offer.

One of my favorite parts about this stay has to be the cats on the property. I know that's a huge and poor segue, but I want to mention them because the property does something that I truly appreciate. We're cat lovers and we were missing our cat so it was nice that there were some extremely friendly kitties to love on each day. But what I appreciate the most about this property is something new that I learned this time around. They worked very hard to help control the stray population in the area. At one point, the area was very crowded with feral cats. They worked to get the cats spayed and neutered one by one on their own dime. They took any kittens that came along and there is the sweetest man on the property who takes them home and gets them cleaned up, acclimated to humans and ready for adoption so they aren't feral and fending for themselves. He finds them good homes. It took them years and years but now they have an established group of just a few cats that keep other feral cats from coming into their "territory". The cats get veterinary care and are fed. They basically stick to one area of the property so they don't get in anybody's way and they are safe. Listening to this guy tell us everything about how the established cats will foster kittens they find and how much work they've put into the program just warmed my heart. The writer in me wanted to do a story on it, it was so nice. Anyway, it just really elevated my opinion of the people behind the property.

I'm going to try to revisit this review as soon as I download my pictures from the trip. My previous review shows pics of the cabin the way it was before. It will be neat to compare them to see how it is to stay at different times of the year. Plus, I was able to capture more images of the property and the many horses you get to see as you drive in. It's really just a very pleasant place to stay. This isn't a four-star resort with fancy fixings and perfect rooms. I think they'd be better off calling the luxury cabins contemporary to not give the wrong impression. But the cabins are super comfortable. The setting is very cozy and inviting. The food is good and filling. And the experience overall is so relaxing and romantic that I just can't understand why someone wouldn't enjoy this place fully. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Luxury cabins are your best bet. Couples should always choose the Secret Garden Dining Room. Since w...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husbands neice and her husband had their wedding at this "resort" last year at the end of August. We arrived early to make it a vacation. The first two nights we stayed in one of the family cabins (don't remember the name or number). We arrived very late but we called ahead to let them know, they said they would leave the key out for us and they did. When we got inside the cabin, it smelled moldy and it looked dirty. We opened the windows to air it out. The water in the hot tub had a film on it. Before we put the kids to bed after they ran around a bit we had to wash their feet because the floors were so dirty the soles of their feet were black with dirt. For this place to be as busy as they claim, it was full of spider webs.

After the second night we had to check out of this cabin to go to the cabins reserved for the wedding. We arrived at our assigned room only to find that the room was cleaned, but the bathroom was not. My husband called the front desk and a cleaning crew was sent out. The lady cleaning the room told my husband that the ring around the tub was part stain and part dirt. Bottom line, we were given a room with a dirty tub. When I went to get in the bed that night, I pull back the sheets and there was roach poop and a dead dried bug in between the sheets. There were two beds in our room, so my husband and I slept in the other bed and we made a pallet on the floor for our other two kids. The "fitted sheet" did not stay on the bed and it bunched up under us. I woke up the first night in this room with my face on the dirty looking mattress cover.

When my sister-in-law and her husband arrived, their toilet over flowed. The carpet in the room got wet and they were not offered other accomodations.

We took the family on a horse carriage ride (6 of us total), we went down the street, turned around and came back. No real scenery to look at. For the cost of the ride there should be designated trails or a tour through the property. The lady who drove the carriage was nice enough, but I just expected more for the money.

Overall, the place was dirty ( I had the bottom of my kids feet to prove it). I don't know how or why they chose this place to get married, but they did. The food was great and the staff were nice, but that is all. We didn't complain at check out because I felt it was useless to do so. How can you not know that the floors in your cabins are so dirty that you need to leave your shoes on until you get in the bed. Also, how do you miss cleaning the bathroom and then say not all of it was dirt? None of it should have been dirt. The whole place just looked and felt dirty and I felt dirty the entire time I was there. I was glad when we checked out.

It has taken me over ayear to write this review because I wa just trying to forget about it, but I can't. We don't feel like we got value for the money we spent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
resortowner1, Owner at Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Since this stay was a year ago it's difficult to know exactly what went wrong here, but I can say that we have since changed our housekeeping manager. We are also in the process or renovating most of our cabins, including the removal of carpet flooring, furniture, mattresses, windows and more.

As a family owned business we want everyone to have the best experience possible and I'm glad to hear that our staff responded quickly to their needs. While we always prefer to have everything done properly to avoid an issue, we sincerely appreciate it when you bring it to our attention right away so we can do what it takes to make it right.
Monroe, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have used Forrest Hills twice now in the past 6 months. In April my husband and I went on a couples vacation. We stayed in one of the luxury cabins for couples. It was very clean and comfy. Each cabin has it's own hot tub in the cabin, with a great view out the window of that room. The Secret Garden is the dining room to eat in and it was so peaceful. The food is prepared by great cooks....yummy!
Then this past week we took our 2 daughters there for a family retreat. My girls are 17 and 13. They loved our cabin. It had a full kitchen so to keep costs down we took our own food to cook. Horse back riding was a hit and the cabin is close to Dahlonega, Helen, and Ellijay. We went to all 3! The staff is very kind and helpful! Michelle and David are the owners and they will do anything they can to accomodate you.
My husband and I are going back in February for another couples weekend!

Room Tip: If you plan on cooking your own food ask for a cabin with full kitchen. Not all cabins have them, so...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I visited Forest Hills the week of September 2nd. Upon our arrival we were given Cabin #1. Check in was easy and the staff was very nice. We went to cabin #1 to find that housekeeping had not cleaned the unit. I do list some positives as well as negatives.

The first thing we noticed walking in #1 even before noticing it hadn't been cleaned was a strong mold/mildew smell. Odd thing is (All three units we used during our stay (More on that later) smelled like this) after getting past the front door the odor subsided greatly. Still there just not as bad.

So off to the office I go to report that housekeeping had not cleaned this unit. The gentleman at the desk was very pleasant and offered up an upgrade. So off to cabin #11 we go. This cabin was clean for the most part the smell was there and mildew in the bathroom but overall not that bad.

This vacation was for my wife and I to get away because I had been traveling for my job for the past 30 days and I needed to decompress. That being no stress, no phone (None in these cabins -- Not a bad thing) no computer and no e-mail -> No Stress. Well finding our first accommodation dirty started the stress I was trying to get away from.

So we start what was thought to be our last distractions for the week and went about or way. We went out on Thursday (Sept 5th) and didn't return until late (2130 - 2200) to find a note on the door telling us we had to move cabins because they had the #11 cabin we were moved to booked for the up-coming weekend. The #11 cabin was (What we were told) an upgrade from our Country Side cabin (#1) that we were originally booked so we had to move to another cabin in that style.

The note also said that this cabin (#11) had already been booked for this weekend the day we were moved to it. Note stated we needed to be out of the cabin by noon on Friday Sept 6th. My thinking was they knew this when they put us in this cabin (Or at least should have) and should have told us in advance. Knowing in advance wouldn't have been a problem for me or my wife. This last minute stuff just rubbed me the wrong way.

An employee told me the young man that moved us failed to check the computer for the future reservations and was just trying to accommodate us. I understood this and had no ill will at that point. This gets better. Forest Hills provides you a buffet breakfast daily and I can say it is very good as they change things around. The wait staff was awesome and the venue was clean and pleasant.

On Friday morning Sept 6th when we arrived for breakfast we were greeted as we entered the room by wait staff asking us if we got the note that was left on the door. I said yes and we were already out of the cabin. The note said we had until noon to be out of #11. My wife and I had already scheduled the day and this was getting in the way of that. I then said it would have been nice to have been forewarned ahead of time so my wife and I could have packed our luggage prior to leaving for the day on Thursday.

I was asked "Nobody has talked with you already? Somebody was supposed to have talked with you yesterday (Wednesday)" . I responded nobody has said anything to us until the note we found on the door. The person we talked with said let me check with the Manager and we went about our way through the buffet.

While eating this person came back and said they had talked with Management and they said they were sorry and as they walked away said she said (Talking about the Manager) "That's the way it is". That one comment I know wasn't coming from the person I was talking with but from Management. This one almost set me off. I have an extremely stressful job (I work for a fortune 10 company) and again this vacation was all about no stress. Well guess what?

I do not claim to have patience or the ability to keep from saying out loud what's on my mind but this vacation was to be no stress and I promised my wife that I would contain myself. I really think I did a great job with that. I took into account after the breakfast conversation that the staff were only the messengers for Management.

So we finish another great breakfast and head to the office to get our new cabin assignment. We arrive and are greeted by another very nice employee who give me the keys to another cabin called the Sparrow (One of the original six built back in I think 1978). What happened next sealed the deal of why I will never recommend Forest Hills to anybody.

We head off to the Sparrow cabin open the door get hit square on with the mildew smell just to find this cabin was dirty. Housekeeping had not visited this one either. I became irate at this point and it took my wife several minutes to calm me down before she let me go to the office to report this portion of my No Stress vacation.

So back to office I go and only because the desk clerk was so nice I didn't just go off. I understand they are only an extension of Management. See I am trying to be less stressful and this person helped by being sympathetic to my now crappy vacation.

Desk clerk called the housekeeping person and told them to get on the Sparrow cabin now. I was told they would be done in forty five minutes. This didn't set well with me. I explained to the desk clerk that forty five minutes of cleaning will not work. The Hot Tub (More on that later) alone will take that long to drain and refill.

I explained to the desk clerk that my day was now bad and my No Stress vacation was becoming more stressful as it went along. I let the clerk know that if the room wasn't clean to forewarn whomever was the on call person that a not so nice me would be calling. This now done we had to go about our day with all of the belongings we traveled with in the car.

We got back to the cabin about 2100 or so and found it to be in good shape the exception being the hot tub. My wife started it up (Forest Hills does forewarn you to give the hot tub one and a half hours to heat up. Understandable trying to conserve energy.)

She turns the jets on and the foam bubbles that came up took that one and half hours of waiting for it to not get warm enough to scoop off. Never did get rid of them. When my wife turned the jets on and went to adjust the temp it was already set at the highest setting. She turned that down to 90 something. The water started warming up but never did get warm enough to use.

At this point my no stress vacation was all but shot I didn't even waist the effort to call. I didn't want to chance them trying to move me to another dirty cabin. The only reason we didn't leave this place was because upon calling around the area other locations were booked. I didn't ask nor was I offered any kind of refund for the trouble I was put through just to get a clean cabin.

The part that made me the most mad was when the wait staff at the breakfast buffet went to the Manager and told them I wasn't happy with the way I was notified being moved to a different cabin they (Management) didn't even bother to come out themselves to talk with me to address my concerns.

I have been catering to the public for many many years and part of being a Manager is sucking it up and dealing with unhappy people. Many times that interaction will defuse the unhappy guest and encourage them even after a bad experience to try your business again. That doesn't seem to matter here.

The paperwork I was given had a survey attached of which I filled out with several pages of attachments. I am not trying to beat this place down but Management needs to get engaged in the business instead of just taking the deposits to the bank.

Four things were great about Forest Hills.
a) Very Very quiet --> If you want quiet and accommodations do not mean much this is the place for you.
b) Breakfast buffet is good with good selections that change during the week.
c) Our stay came with one night's dinner. The dinner was very good as well.
d) The staff I had contact with was very nice and overall the best part about the place.

Amicalola Falls State Park (http://www.amicalolafallslodge.com) is close by and they have a lodge you may want to consider over Forest Hills. I haven't used the lodge there but it has to be cleaner and better organized then Forest Hills.

That falls are awesome. Amazing part is when you are at the bottom of the falls watching all that water come down and you go to the top to see what feeds the fall.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
resortowner1, Owner at Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
It was very unfortunate that the cabin this couple was scheduled to go to was not ready upon arrival as literally all of this would have been avoided if so. In an effort to not make them wait for their cabin to be done we upgraded them to a higher priced cabin (at no additional charge of course) which was ready at that time. We did not realize when we handed him the key that their week long stay (which is longer than most) overlapped the weekend which was sold out. In all honesty, this has never happened to us before. We thought we would see him in the office again to let him know. Since we did not see them we left a note on their door as they were out for the day. We asked the restaurant to verify the receipt of the note when they checked in for breakfast to insure they saw it. I am surprised they assumed the managers/owners would respond in such a cold manner as that is certainly not what was said and that's not how we feel. Forrest Hills is a place for rest, as that's how we got our name; ForRest Hills.
Warner Robins, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I went to Forrest Hills with a group of ladies from church. We had the worse cabin ever! The rooms smelled of mold, there were spiders webs everywhere, mold in the shower, and on the shower curtain. My curtain rod was held together by a piece of tape! They advertise DVDs to be checked out but don't actually have DVD players in the cabins.

The Ice machine had mold in it. I'm not sure how long it’s actually been since they changed the water filter for the refrigerator but the sign on the filter said to change before Jan2005.

The only plus was the food. The staff at the restaurant was very nice and the food was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We just returned from a four day vacation at Forrest Hill Lodge in GA. We were at cabin 14, one of their deluxe cabins. The cabin matched their website pictures 100%. The accommodations were very comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was good, we loved eating at the Secret Garden.
This is a tranquile place. You will enjoy it if you are seeking a peaceful vacation in communion with nature. They have excellent trails to walk on. You can also arrange for horse riding. We did not ride the horses but we saw them and they look very well taken care of.

Room Tip: There is no room service unless you request it for a fee
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Forrest Hills Mountain Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!