“Horrible experience, even worse management” 1 of 5 stars

Super 8 Dahlonega
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Mountain Drive, Dahlonega, GA 30533   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dahlonega
jefferson, georgia
“Horrible experience, even worse management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

While visiting Dahlonega for the 3rd year in a row to enjoy the 4th of July festivities, we stayed at the Super 8 for the first and last time. Though the rate was great and the young lady at check in was very pleasant, it became obvious that this was not what it was advertised to be. We were first given room 203. Upon entering the room we were greeting with a stench of mildew and two trash cans being used to catch water from a leak in the ceiling. After speaking with the young lady at the desk she changed us to a different room. After dropping our belongings off we turned the air on and left for dinner. When we returned the room was still stifling hot. We went swimming and came back and the rooms temperature had not changed. We complained but there were no other rooms to transfer us to.

We spent a miserable night trying to stay cool.

The following morning when we went to check out, I complimented the male manager on the young lady from the night before, but complained about the air not working in the room. He became beligerent and begain yelling at me.......yelling at me, a customer who simply said that it was miserable in the room due to the heat.

Suffice it to say, NEVER, EVER again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

The check-in was amazingly fast...however upon walking to our room, it was still being cleaned! i poked in my head to ask if it'd be long (bc i would march back and request another room) but the employees didnt speak english! Frustrating. The far side of the hotel had a great view... my view was the parking lot. and it was very hilly and difficult to get onto the highway from the entrance. It was easy to find and clean. Overall, not too bad. next time, i may try one farther in town. And there were no pool hours on the website. It was empty though...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
west palm beach florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

I just stayed at this hotel and all I can say is you get what you pay for. The hotel is convienant to town but not very clean. As we pulled up the first thing we noticed was the brown pool. The room seemed clean until I pulled the comforter off of the bed and noticed all of the stains on the mattress and box spring. The blanked seemed to be 20 years old by the looks of it. The toilet did not work but they fixed it immediately. My son and I were in town for a bike ride so we were not in the room much. I would never let my wife stay here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — condition of the room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Bowling Green, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

This was the 2nd time I've stayed at this property. I attend a tourism marketing college each summer, and with tight budgets I decided to go with this property since it was only $50 a night.

I was warmly greeted by the owner, a young Indian guy, who remembered that I'd stayed there before. The rooms are VERY dated... 1980s style. The comforter looks unclean. It was the first thing I pulled back from the bed. My friend who also stayed there had them come change her sheets twice because she said it looked like someone had a "party" in the bed. Gross. I did notice some "pay by the hour" looking customers as they had local license plates.

The room did have a really nice, new fridge and microwave. There was no iron or ironing board, but there was a hairdryer and coffeemaker. The bathtub had some holes/scratches in the side, but it had one of those curved shower curtain rods which I love. My 2nd morning there was NO hot water. I called the front desk and she said 10-15 minutes. About 30 minutes later there was hot water, but of course I was already late for my meeting. Do they shut off the hot water heater at night???

The location is convenient and it is very quiet at night. There is a McDonald's right up on it. I had booked online, and upon checkout I asked for a receipt. They said they couldn't give me one, I guess since I booked online? I argued but they insisted. Guess I'll just use my booking confirmation and hope it matches what appears on my credit card statement.

Overall, what can you expect for $50? My choices were this or the dorm, and it was way better than a dorm! If I were traveling with my family I would NOT stay here.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

We stayed here for 1 night. Thank goodness.

The front desk was very nice. They gave us some good recommendation for what to do and where to go. They were very friendly.

They were full because of a wedding. We had booked our room on AAA, so they would not honor the non-smoking request, but I suspect it was because they were sold out and preferred to upset the people who had paid the least amount for a room. I can understand that.

The rooms reeked of smoke. The first room we got was so bad, my kids said they would sleep in the car. Luckily the room had not been properly cleaned, so they gave us another smoking room. This room still smelled of smoke, but we could handle it. The room was clean, but needed lots of work. The wallpaper was coming down in the room and bathroom. The boxsprings were stained. We didn't look further than that, so I can't tell you about the bedding. Somethings are better unknown. They just need to replace stuff and then the smoke smell and the dirty feeling won't be so bad.

We only had soap in the room. No shampoo. They only gave us 2 towels. The rate included breakfast. There was no coffee and stale cheerios. Also milk and O.J. We sat down for breakfast, but decided to just go somewhere else.

We could handle this motel for 1 night. It was cheap. I guess you get what you pay for. One plus was that the room was so bad, it made the kids want to get out and do stuff instead of just hanging out and watching T.V. The location is convienent for lots of stuff in the area.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — gross room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2004

This hotel is a decent hotel, but the management seemed dishonest, or at least not very customer friendly when we stayed here. We booked a room with the Super 8 Hotels 800 number for one night, at a reasonable rate. As we were checking in to the hotel, we got a call on our cell phone, making a change of plans necessary. We needed the room for an additional night. We were checking in at the time, and the person at the front desk told us that the rate for our room would be considerably more for the second night. I called the 800 number back, and they quoted me the cheaper price. When I told the person at the front desk this, she quickly shut down her computer, and said that the rates were as she had quoted. (the higher rate) I then tried to call the 800 number to book the lower rate, and was told that the hotel had closed down their computer so that the booking agent with Super 8 could not book us a room over the phone at the lower rate. It was too late to go anywhere else that night, but we checked out the next day, and stayed at the Econo Lodge, which although is undergoing some renovations, was very neat, clean and quite.

Been to Super 8 Dahlonega? Share your experiences!