“Wonderful Experience & Luxury Rooms” 5 of 5 stars

The Smith House
84 South Chestatee Street, Dahlonega, GA 30533   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Dahlonega B&B and Inns
Nashville, Tennessee
“Wonderful Experience & Luxury Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

We stayed at The Smith House for 2 nights while visiting Dahlonega for a graduation at North Georgia College. We were utterly surprised at the quality of the rooms at The Smith House. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, and it was impeccable and didn’t lack any detail. The room was brilliant updated with granite countertops & lush new carpet. The bathroom had a gorgeous claw foot tub and a huge marble shower with multiple shower heads. The bedding was exceptionally soft and was significantly softer than our bed at home! The staff was extremely nice and of course the food was excellent! We loved our visit in Dahlonega and would highly recommend the city and the stay at The Smith House. Excellent experience—we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
douglasville, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

The Smith House is WONDERFUL!!! The food was deleicious and yummy. The room was delightful. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud with a cloud for a pillow. It was decorated in a classic and simple style. The shower was hot and the vanity was large and beautiful. The towels were the best!!! The staff was great. I would dedinitely stay here again!!!!!!

Stayed September 2009
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Our room was located in The Carriage House which is attached to the main building. The room was really small, and very "out-dated"!! The bathroom was TINY with little to no counterspace. All furniture and fixtures appeared to be antiques!! They advertise that all room have flat screen TVs----NO TRUE!! We had an old style tube in our room!! We were very disappointed that our room wasn't as nice as the website and advertisements made it seem. The bed was not comfortable at all!! They definitely need to invest in some new mattresses. There was not a telephone located in our room which we thought was odd.
However, our friends had a room located in the main building and their room was much nicer than ours. The bathroom was spacious with a lots of counterspace and large tile shower. Their room did include the flat screen TV and the furniture was much more modern.
If you are planning on staying at The Smith House, please request a room in the main building!!! Stay away from the carriage house!! They should seriously consider remodeling it, before they reserve those rooms to guests.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Brookfield, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I took my family back down to Georgia where I am from. As a boy, my parents used to take me up to Dahlonega and we always ate at the Smith House. Since we were traveling to Atlanta, I decided to book a room there on the way to Atlanta. As always, the food in the restaurant is awesome. No complaints there. The rooms however are expensive and just so so. The swimming pool is tiny and wasn't the cleanest. They have a small wooden party area that was in need of renovation and cleaning. We did have a reservation for two nights but we decided to cancel and spend the rest of the time in Atlanta. Dahlonega is a great place to visit and is very charming. However since I was there last it really has become a tourist trap from how it was 30 years ago. I would still recommend going there for the southern charm and finding out about the first gold rush in the United States. If you do decide to spend the night at the Smith House, maybe stay for one night and then decide if you'd like to spend more time there. I couldn't justify the expense for any more nights there. It's way too expensive for what you can get at the nicer newer chain type motel/suites. Sorry Smith house... :(

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Never before have I stayed at a nicer place in a nicer town. It was our first time in Dahlonega, but definitely not our last. I would recommend to anyone to stay at this quaint place. The rooms are exquisite, the location is right off the square, it is quiet, serene, just bliss. I felt like I was in a movie. We didn't eat at the restaurant at the Smith House, so no comments there! Take your family, spouses, whoever, just go! I don't know which was better- the beds that were so plush I felt like I was on a cloud, or the rocking chairs on the front porch where we sat during an evening mountain storm (wishing we'd brought jackets), listening to the rain on the roof.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Greenville SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed here in June. The staff was very friendly and the rooms seemed to be very up to date. If you like southern cooking, the family style restaurant was not bad. They served more food than the two of us could possibly eat. The rooms were very comfortable offering flat panel tv, water, coffee, and high end soaps and shampoos.
My only complaints would be the somewhat thin walls. This may have been more due to some overly loud guests in the adjoining rooms. Also the hot water seemed to spike in the shower. It would jump from normal to “scald you” very fast. Again, I know in bed & breakfast this can happen with large crowds all showering at once.
All in all The Smith House was a great place to stay. We will return.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Outstanding! This was our first visit to Dahlonega. We will definitely return to The Smith House.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to The Smith House? Share your experiences!