“Great Food, Great Atmosphere, I'll be back” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 67 restaurants in Dahlonega
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Gainesville, Georgia
“Great Food, Great Atmosphere, I'll be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Took my wife (and 3 kids) for her birthday dinner in hopes of a decent meal since we both like Irish Pub food and the ambiance that you sometimes find within. We were greeted by friendly staff and impressed with the beer selection and menu choices. We elected to start with a house or "pub" salad which was very fresh and crisp with an outstanding "house" dressing. The kids shared and devoured the Shepard's Pie handily and I very reluctantly shared a few morsels of my Fish & Chips which were Fantastic. My Wife had the Bushmills Sirloin which she shared a bite of the perfectly cooked and nicely seasoned steak with me and we both agreed it was delicious. It is a nice hole in the wall type pub that you will want to go back to again and again. The service was very good - it suffered slightly as they got busier. We were there on Friday and you need to arrive by 6:30 to avoid a substantial wait to gain entry to this little gem of a Pub....it apparently has become popular with the locals and the seating is limited. I admit that I would wait for the experience that we had there tonight.

• Visited April 2011

86% Recommend
Dahlonega, Georgia
“Good food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Shenanigans always has good food. We've gotten several different things off the menu, and I've never had anything there I didn't like. We went again last night. I had the Firehouse Burger, and it was very good. It had just the right amount of kick to it - just what I wanted. Their fries are excellent. My boyfriend loves Rubens, so he ordered it based on an earlier review here. He said it was good. He wished it came with fries instead of their homemade chips, but the waitress did tell him it came with chips and asked if that was OK. He said the chips could use some seasoning but they were otherwise good.

Someone else commented about not being able to get service, and I could see how that's possible when they're busy. Our experience was great, though. We walked in and were immediately greeted by three staff members at the same time. We were given our choice of seats. We got our drinks immediately, our food came out quickly, and the waitress followed up with us at least 2 - 3 times. Exactly what I would expect from a restaurant.

This place is small, and on a Friday or Saturday night, it can get an "elbow room only" kind of feeling to it but that's to be expected in a small bar! If you're going for dinner, it's best to get there a bit earlier than the college crowd if you want a peaceful meal. It's great on week nights, too.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dahlonega, Georgia
“It's a great place IF you can ever get service. Unfortunately I didn't...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I am a Dahlonega resident and I eat out all the time. I never liked the food much at Shenanigans but since they made an area outside where your dog can eat with you I decided last Saturday night to give it a try. I was alone except for my dog, Duke. I was told there would be a 20 minute wait and was guided to a plastic outdoor chair to wait on a table. There was a 6-top open but nothing smaller. Meanwhile there was a man sitting out with his HORSE, of all things, tied to a tree. They brought this man something to drink then, as he sat waiting for a table for 1 (like me) they brought him his food. They knew him by name so I imagine he is a regular.

40 minutes later no one - not one single soul - ever asked me if I wanted something to drink or to give me an update on a table. The horse fellow, however, was invited in to sit at the 6-top.

10 minutes later (I've been there almost an hour) Duke was thirsty and I was starved and irritated. While servers came and went I tried to get someone's attention but no one would ever even look my way. I felt like I was totally ignored. I finally gave up and swore I'd never go back.

Like I said, I've had the food there --- believe me ---- nothing special. After the treatment I received last Saturday they can keep their bland food and kiss my you-know-what. I'll never be back and I'll make it a point to tell everyone I meet on the square (just about everyday) NOT to go there.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Robust Ruben”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011 via mobile

Absolutely divine Ruben! The atmosphere is light and lively. They have great music entertainment, trivia nights, and they host an annual MDA fundraiser. Nice place to take the family during the day and to hang with friends at night!

Tampa Florida
“Try the Shelaylee sandwich.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

We drove up from Tampa and found this little gem of a restaurant. Good food Good drink Great service. Deb and Shelly were the best.