“A Uniquely Magical Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Greyfield Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cumberland Island
Greyfield Inn
Save Saved
You added Greyfield Inn to your Saves list
Cumberland Island, GA 31527   |
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“A Uniquely Magical Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

You'll arrive by boat embarking from Fernandina Beach, Fla., and will start to get the flavor of the place even before you reach The Greyfield, as the island slides by on your right, with only an occasional house or dock. It's a mystery landscape of live oaks, palmettos and Spanish moss, occasionally divulging its secrets in the form of an armadillo or fawn. A bright young staff member will give you an orientation, including a brief history of the island which is now mostly national park, then you'll settle into your beautifully furnished room or cottage. There is much to explore -- be sure to see the ruins of the old Carnegie mansion, and historic Stafford which has been kept up at great expense by its owners. (Greyfield provides bikes for its guests, and a beautiful beach -- complete with wild horses -- is only a short distance away.) This is a family-run inn with a distinctly non-corporate feel; bring the kids, or enjoy a romantic escape, it's perfect for both.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Boynton Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We came with a friend who had many childhood memories of the island; after just a few hours at the Greyfield Inn and a walk to the beach, we understood why she thought this place so very special. It simply is.

The deep history is fascinating, the roads and trails and wetlands and wild animals are an outdoors person's delight.

The Inn itself is magnificent and the food quite good, though not pretentious and they were very accommodating of a pair of non-meat-eaters.

Even if it was not this good I would come again and gladly pay the freight for a chance to spend another day with Barbara touring the island.

We were there for three days over New Years and the company we met at evening cocktails was as interesting and excellent as everything else.

Room Tip: We had the back room at the Big Cottage and though it meant bringing a small flashlight to dinner (t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

the Greyfield Inn is good enough inn to attract a following even if it were not the only hotel on a 15 mile long piece of undeveloped beach. I cannot think of a comparable piece of real estate anywhere. Go there, bike on the beach, enjoy great food in a totally relaxing environment.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have private baths; reserve one that does early.
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Yes, the island is beautiful, the tours by Barbara are super, and the staff is wonderful. BUT the food was average in many ways. The breakfasts were small and uninspired. The last night we had prime rib, perfectly prepared, but accompanied by cold and unsavory potatoes and bitter turnips. Another night we had lovely scallops, lobster and risotto, but the kale served with it was much too strong a taste. Our room was much smaller than I had realized on booking (they need a floor plan that shows the furniture in the room so you can tell). The deck that came with it was unusable because the septic system had been dug out recently and was still open, along with the pungent aroma. I would have been happy enough if it had been half the price, but at what they charge, it is just not good value. Go for a day trip and stay elsewhere.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and i have stayed in some wonderful inns and this ranks at the very top. The property is very nice - in a Southern historic way. The staff could not be more friendly or more helpful. We had a great tour of the island by Barbara; enjoyed long walks on the beach seeing wild horse and no other people; spent time exploring the Ice house and the dungeness and also enjoying exceptional meals. The honor bar cerainly adds to the charm. I was a little worried when we first went - there is no internet and no television but after about four hours, the fact that you were off the grid had a very nice calming effect. Collect the shells on the beach, tour some old Southern mansions, watch the wildlife (horses, feral pigs, armadillos, turkeys, etc) and relax.

Room Tip: We stayed in the large cottage - if you want quiet, it is probably the right place. The rooms in th...
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

First the good part. The Greyfield Inn is a lovely reminder of the past. Everything is preserved as it was back when the Carnegies' were there. As a matter of fact, they are still there and running the Inn. My husband and I stayed in the Library Suite with it's own bath (some rooms have shared baths). As you might guess, it is right off the Library on the first floor. If the Inn was busy, you would be in the midst of things, however this is the slow season so we had the Inn to ourselves. That was fun as the first night we felt like we owned the place (we were the only overnight guests). The second night we were joined by two lovely couples. The naturalist Barbara was terrific and gave us a great tour. When we made reservation five weeks ago,Pam asked us if there were any diet restrictions, as they take this very seriously. I told her I was allergic to shellfish and some fish like grouper and mahi mahi.We arrive and our server tells us dinner that night was grouper, if I want an option it was chicken. So I had chicken. It was very boring. The next night I was informed dinner was sheepshead cod. Having never had sheepshead cod, I asked for an option and was told it was rabbit. Well the rabbit tasted like dried out darkmeat turkey. Not good. To add insult to injury at breakfast the next morning, we were informed that dinner that night was duck. I love duck but we were checking out that day. When you pay the kind of money we paid and if they ask for your diet restrictions, I was disappointed and found it surprising. To tell you the truth, the staff acted bored, maybe it was because of the slow time of year. I hope so.

little rock arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

When my wife and I first met, we asked each other, "Where is the favorite spot you have ever visited?" To our shock, both of us said "Cumberland Island", that undeveloped paradise once home to the Carnegies off the far north Florida coast. We married and did not miss a yearly backpacking trip to Cumberland till our first child was born and when she was old enough to sport a backpack, we took her and her friends. On each trip we would trudge up the "main road" a tiny one-laner paved by shells and sand, to trails which led to our campsite and the 22 mile empty and gorgeous sandy beach, but we would pause briefly to look through the gates of the only commercial establishment on the island, the Greyfield Inn - originally the mansion of the Carnegie family and for half a century, a beautiful inn run by the Carnegie heirs. For our 25th anniversary I surprised my family with a stay at Greyfield. No more campfires and curried couscous. Instead we dined at the Carnegie dining table in front of a roaring fire and took dessert in the Carnegie living room, lined with their original library books and dominated by a portrait of the bandana-headressed original grande dame Lucy Carnegie Ferguson. To make a long story shorter, it is four years later and we have never gone back to the national park primitive camp sites, except on hikes from our comfortable master suite at Greyfield. My family is spoiled rotten and so am I. We just returned from our 4th Thanksgiving at Greyfield. I wrote a long review after our first stay which explained the history of the house and the island and honors the Carnegie family for rescuing the magnificent island from development. It describes that Greyfield and Cumberland are not for everyone - if reading on huge porch swings, nature trips around wild horses and white deer, days on empty undeveloped beaches, biking through live oaks or kayaking through porpoises amid clusters of oysters, are not your thing, don't go! Greyfield is unchanged since my first visit, which is the greatest compliment I can pay. The home is in excellent shape, food was good and the staff is amazing. Again, my tip is to carefully work out your quarters with the reservations staff. The rooms vary widely. Many people seem to like the cottages spread among the grounds. Some rooms have private baths and some share the grand old Carnegie baths. Ask if the jewelry shop owned by Carnegie heir GoGo Ferguson and her nice daughter Hannah is open. Gogo and Hannah are fun to meet and have developed a museum quality jewelry line based on the bones and shells found on their ancestral Cumberland Island. The unsung heroes of Greyfield are the hard working Mary Jo and Mitty Ferguson, also Carnegies, who comandeer ferries, swab decks and fold laundry, and make guests feel like personal friends 24/7 it seems. Greyfield is pricey beyond my range, but it is very memorable and actually worth the bill. Oops gotta go and earn money so I can afford next year's trip!

Room Tip: Work closely with the staff on room selection. Rooms vary widely. Website doesn't explain the ro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Greyfield Inn? Share your experiences!