“Loved the Food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Greenville
“Loved the Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We loved the food and the area was beautiful. We watched dolphins swimming while we dined. The prime rib was great and my children loved the crab legs. The only thing I did not like was the cleanliness--- they had a 93 rating but after washing up in the restroom, I would have given them a 75. Really could use some TLC... wait- they really could use A LOT of TLC. And Lysol. And Mr. Clean. And did I mention Lysol? I'm not super-picky, but the place could do better to make the inside restaurant as pristine as the outside was.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hinesville, Georgia
“It was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The service could have been a little better than it was.

TN
“Great View. Horrible Food. Hate It But It's True.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We've eaten at Pelican Point 4 times in the last 15 years as we've had family living near Savannah. Of the 4 times we've eaten there, (2) have been in the last 5 years. I believe that people in general are way, way too hard to please; and, many reviewers in my opinion seem to over-think reviews. So sometimes I have a hard time taking a review seriously; that being said, with plenty of experience with Pelican Point, I hate to say it, but their food is just getting worse every time we go. We're never going back to be truly candid.

The staff was friendly enough, but the food was just horrible. As most seafood places tend to be dirty somewhat, you have to prepare yourself for that; and that doesn't bother me really, especially if the food is good and the atmosphere is local; however, Pelican Point's owners seem to have made no improvements in a long, long time. What's sad about that is that the atmosphere is really neat, or should I say, it could be. It's literally on the river; so the views are amazing. It's got a really cool feel to it, and it's a shame that it's becoming so run down and neglected.

Over all, It's dirty, and I can promise you I'm not a neat freak! So if I think it's dirty, it usually is way below par! Restrooms were horrible. Ice Cream scoops were so covered in some odd colored growth barnacle things that I literally would not let my son use it. In fact, the cleanliness of the place made me wonder if those who run the health food/inspection code for the county had even been there in a decade.

The crab legs are good no doubt, and they've been good every time I must say.

However, the buffet is not way overpriced for the quality of the food in general. Like most buffets, it's overcooked from sitting out too long. It's all fried food for the most part, so it's just heavy, greasy type food. You almost have the feel that you went to a family style cheap buffetl and yet paid good money for it.
Personally, I hate having to post a bad review, but this place seems to have passed the point of return unless new ownership comes in who would have some pride in their establishment at least to the point of cleaning it up, and then making the food worth the price you pay.

Sorry Pelican Point. It's like watching an old friend fade away. Sad.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Don't listen to the critics”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

I read the reviews before we went and decided to give it a try based on a recommendation from a local...we were glad we didn't listen to the critics. The building is old but adds to the nostalgia. The seafood was fresh. I didn't care for the crab legs and the prime rib was over done. However, the rest of the seafood was good. Pricy? Yes! Glad I went? You bet!

Savannah, Georgia
“I can't help it...I like this place.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Obviously my wife and I must be the exception.

First, we live on the coast so we don't eat seafood in a restaurant setting very often. Seafood markets are abundant and much of what we eat can be purchased directly from those who catch it. We don't fry much, so whipping up Frogmore stew, steamed shrimp and oysters, or grilled fish is a no-brainer. It's cheap and local.

Second, because seafood is readily available, when we choose to eat out it's kind of nice to visit a place where we can choose from so many selections. Is it the best? Well, we like it. We make the drive to Crescent about six times a year. I can't vouch for the fried food at Pelican Point. Generally I gorge myself on crab legs and steamed shrimp. It's embarrassing.

We've always found the restaurant to be clean, the staff attentive and friendly, and the buffet fully stocked.

Clearly my review is in the minority. Pelican Point is not for everyone, however, we will continue to return there.

• Visited April 2012