“Weekend of fun.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cordele
Richmond Hill
“Weekend of fun.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed in a cottage. It was right on the lake. Beautiful & so peaceful. Watched the boats going by with fishermen. There is a train to Plains. There is a cruise around the lake. A beautiful golf course. I would go back.

Room Tip: There are rooms around the lodge itself. I prefer the cottages.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at Lake Blackshear Resort and honored that you will be returning to stay with us. On your next visit, check out the live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights at Cypress Grill or have a quiet dinner on the veranda at Cordelia's Restaurant.

Thank you for providing feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We purchased a living social coupon for 59.00 anight and took two nights during sun thru thurrs.we were charged an extra 28 for tax and fees when we checked out.We used internet driving directions which routed us out the way into cordedele and lost us.we called the resortand thy redirected us.GPS and compurter directions may be rwrong as the resort is in a remote locatiom and hard to find.There are no restaurants nearby except at the resort.the grill was closed but main dining area was open.the room was worn with carpet split at seams,the chairs had white bleached out areas on fabrick.toilet seat broke when used.they came and fixed it.room smelled of smoke and we found ashtray on screen porchpotato chips were in large chair in room.however the lake front was beatiful to sit on porch.the sunsets over the lake are spectaculer.boating and fishing are avsilable.we played golf and the course is beautifiul.with cart 18 holes were 20 dollars.it is a top rated golf course.The staff is extremely friendly and helpful all over the resort.also its so peaceful and quiet there with a hugh front lawn leading to the water.they have a small but great military museum there also in the park.the restaurant has reaconable prices.breakfast was 11.00 for two.lunch and dinner was 15 to 22 per person.mmeals were hit or miss with some good meeals and some not as good.I had chicken and it was good. breakfast was good, tacos werent so good.there is nowhere welse to eat there.The word resort is a stretch and we know now why it was discounted.we enjoyed the stay but what made it worthwhile was the golf course.

Room Tip: We wer put in a villa upstairs in building one and enjoyed the screened in porch facing the water.so...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Lake Blackshear Resort. I am sorry that the directions provided by your GPS did not take you to the resort, but I am glad to hear that you finally made it with the help of the Front Desk. I am sorry if the room did not meet your needs in overall appearance and cleanness . We do have a housekeeping staff that is at your service to meet your needs for the duration of your stay. I will address the concerns about your room to the manager. Even though the room did not meet your expectation, I am glad to see that you did enjoy the outside park attractions and the golf course. I hope that you will return back to Lake Blackshear Resort.

Thank you for your feedback.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while we were in GA for a family wedding (honestly we would've never picked this place for ourselves). The suite was roomy, with 2 double beds, 2 desks, a mini-fridge and coffee maker (with the usual hotel coffee packages). There was a tv in a well-worn cabinet - with the pull-out cabinet doors to hide the tv...the first time we tried pulling the door out to close it, all the ball bearings fell out on the floor ;,/ One of the reviewers mentioned wi-fi - if there was any, none of our phones or iPad was able to pick it up -- and we were in the first 'villa', close to reception. The room was clean upon arrival, though it's age shows - things are worn, and I agree with one other reviewer that noted, the colors are like clown costume colors. It might've been considered nice 30 years or so ago, but today it's very unappealing. We also did not like was that there were NO queen or king beds...at all (at least that's what they told me when I called for our reservation). What sort of 'resort' has only double beds?? As another reviewer mentioned, the term 'resort' is used loosely here. (The beds themselves were moderately comfortable, but that could be improved too...I'm sure the mattresses are anything but new).

There is also a screened in porch attached, but our furniture on it was dusty and dirty, so we didn't really use it.

Bathroom area was small, but there is a separate 'dressing'/makeup area with sink, so that helps a bit. The bathroom layout is kludgy, with a door opening right beside the shower and in front of the toilet (litte space between toilet and door).

Also, our closet had NO hangers in it. I don't know about others, but we don't usually travel with hangers for our clothes but instead expect at least a few in hotel closets.

We did not go to the Cypress Grill, so I can't say how that is. But some reviewers noted that on weekends there is loud music played late into the night. I was worried about this, being a light sleeper, but in our location (first 'villa' next to reception), I didn't have any issues with this. I could hear it from our villa, but it was far away enough not interfere with sleep.

We did eat lunch one day at Cecelia's, and it was fine. The lunch menu is pretty limited, so I think we both had sandwiches. Nothing really special, but adequate.

They do have bikes you can borrow while there, which is nice (not sure if there is a fee for this or not)...as it's located within the Veteran's Park. They also do have indoor AND outdoor pool, along with a "fitness room". Literally a room here, and in sad shape. The room has 2 treadmills, an elliptical and some limited weights. Free weights consisted of a set each for 10, 15 and 20 pounds, I think. There was a weight machine in the corner, but very little room if say someone wanted to use the machine and someone wanted to use dumbbells at the same time. Also, the elliptical didn't really work - the computer would not stay on, and one of the treadmills was half-broken too - one of the guard rails was not attached, and the 'emergency stop safety' had to be taped onto the treadmill so it would operate. Good luck trying to workout here - they really need to upgrade or at least FIX the equipment there if they are going to claim to have a 'fitness room'.

The resort itself is rather picturesque from the outside, but they really need to work on modernizing and updating the rooms themselves. I would not recommend this, nor would we come back here on our own.

Room Tip: Ask for villa/cabins away from Cypress Grill if late night noise is a concern.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback that you provided. We value guest opinions and we apologize that the resort did not meet your expectations. I have forwarded this information to our management team.

The Team at Lake Blackshear
Smyrna, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding in April 2013. The room was very aged, and not what I would consider clean. There was food on one of the beds and the shower did not drain properly. The door to the screened in porch did not stay closed without the safety lock being engaged. The service at the Marina Grill on the property was some of the slowest that I have ever experienced, and the food was average at best. Beyond that, the rate that I booked for online was not the rate that I paid for the room, and was unable to find anyone to speak to regarding the charges that would actually return a phone call or email. Overall not a hotel that I would stay in again or recommend to anyone that I know.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We value your feedback about the room and overall experience. We do offer a full housekeeping staff and maintenance engineers that would have been able to assist you with the room problems you experienced. The rate that you book from an outside source does not include the resort fee that the resort charges for each room. This fee is for amenities at the resort as well as a parking fee. We are located in a state park and a parking fee is required by all guests and hotel guests. Also if you feel like your concern about the bill was not handled correctly please contact me at 1.229.401.1221, to better assist you.
BLUFFTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Resort is located inside of Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park in Cordele, GA. The hotel is an older property that looks like maybe under relatively new management. Rooms are dated and tired but fairly large and all rooms have a lake front location and beautiful views with screened porches. Furniture is well worn but the housekeeping staff delivers a clean product. We arrived on Easter Sunday for a couple of days to just relax and play golf as there is an 18 hole golf course also on the property. Easter Brunch was available in their restaurant, Cordelias and was very busy. Food was very good and staff so pleasant. We purchased the "bed & breakfast" package which included breakfast also served in Cordelias and you could choose any entree off the breakfast menu with a beverage which is a good value. Again, the staff and service level was very good and friendly and tried very hard to make sure the customers were happy. There is a $7.00 resort fee which covers internet but very weak signal and difficult to get on. There is an outdoor and indoor pool, small fitness room and a cocktail lounge.
The marina has boat rentals and there is an outdoor grill cafe that has entertainment on the weekends in season which is just starting. There are also a few 2 bedrooms cottages to rent that are also on the lake. The park and lake are large. Several walking and bike trails with lots of trees and camping sites. There is also an excusion train next to the park that runs in season with vintage rail cars for an added attraction.
It is a great place to chill out with lots to do (or not if you just want to relax and enjoy the views) with reasonable rates.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor have great views of the lake. Most rooms have 2 double beds. Limited king beds.
Dear Guest,

Thanks you for your feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Lake Blackshear Resort. I am pleased to know that all your needs were met and you had a relaxing couple of days. We have many other packages that include golf, boat rides, and also dinner to choose from, for your next stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.
Apopka, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed a week in Georgia at 3 different state parks and this was the worst. The bathroom floor in our cabin was filthy. The rest was so so clean. The cabins are older but that is no excuse for being so dirty. The location was great and so was the staff we encountered. We will go back but will ask to be relocated if we get another dirty cabin.

Room Tip: inspect before settling in
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My family & I stayed here on our way back from Orlando. We decided to ride the SAM Shoreline train & needed a place to stay for the night. We loved it! The room was clean & just enough space for us. We stayed in a villa. My son who is 6 said it was the best room ever. I would recommend it to anyone. I can always tell if a room is clean if my son makes it through the night without having to have a breathing treatment especially rooms with carpet. This room passed with flying colors. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Lake Blackshear Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!