“poor security” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 45 Hotels in Columbus
Baker, WV
“poor security”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The only positive comment here is the breakfast staff and night front clerk who checked us in were very professional, courteous and polite. This is not a safe hotel to stay because our room was entered with a hotel key without our permission, suitcases gone through, furniture moved looking for valuables, and the individual(s) who exited left the deadbolt loock on and our room remained opened all day; not secured. Reprted incidence to local police and the assistant manager who kept on insisting we left our day opened. We are security minded people who NEVER leave our door open. The security lock key reader could not be read because we were informed it was broken so we could not determined who entered our room unlawfully. This situation still remains unresolved. The cleanliness of our room was very poor. After 12 hours of travel we were very exhausted and found the kitchen tables and counters not clean, not proper mattress pad cover on bed, and bathroom disgusting. The nice night clerk did clean our toliet and provided us with a proper mattress pad cover. We were too tired to move to another room and the assistant manager repeatedly told us we should had move to another room over and over instead of providing a sincere genuine apology for our inconvenience. We did report all the above to the manager and he did his best to compensate for our worst expereince ever at a hotel but nothing replaces the violation of personal belongings been gone through and lack of hotel security and very poor housekeeping.

Room Tip: ask if the secuirty key readers are working
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
mdonnelly_54, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Columbus, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I want to apologize for the incident that occurred while staying with us. Safety and security are of the highest priority at this hotel. We have stringent policies & procedures in place ensuring our all our guests, and associates are completely safe & secure. To make sure this incident does not happen again, I have spoken to all the mangers and associates at the property and reviewed with them our safety and security policies.

Also, I would like to apologize for the condition of the room when you arrived. I have also addressed this issue with the housekeeping team. Thank you for complementing our Night and Gate House associates, they do take pride in ensuring our guests do get the best service possible.

We appreciate your feedback as it helps us grow and improve.

Mike Donnelly, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Asheville, N.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

In the understanding that hosting the public is often challenging I think I will begin with stating the good:
The young woman clerk checking us in was hard working and sincerely tried to do a good job. She was very pleasant and welcoming though there were many folks in her line either actively checking in or enquiring about availability for the evening.

After a long day of driving, it was far later than we customarily stop when we arrived at this Marriott property-basically reliant on the Marriott property reputation in choosing this location.
It was late, we were tired and there were only low lights on in the room when we reviewed the room. We confirmed our pricing (for military) & checked in. Upon further inspection of the room- some form of crusty matter had been exploded on the lampshade next to the couch where it had now dried and taken up permanent residence. The lined draperies at the windows also had some circular, numerous and clearly very long term staining on them as well. On numerous places on the walls located both in the bathroom area and also in the vanity area there were areas that needed some real, live scrubbing. The carpet was dark and it was very dirty. After my shower, I noted the bottom of my scrubbed feet that having encountered this carpet needed to be washed again. Did that and put my shoes on until bedtime. Not savory to say the very least.

The showerhead was lovely and offered good water pressure.

In the morning, seeing all the above in living color...our delight at checking out was blurred a bit by noting the bill slipped under the door in the night was 2X the amount stated at Check In. My husband went to the front desk and explained the rate provided the evening before and the bill was adjusted downward but not to the rate we were initially provided. Beware of this and have them write down the stated rate.

Frankly, there are other properties available and if any kind of cleanliness standard is a salient point for you....I'd check out another property entirely.

Room Tip: If cleanliness of space is a significant requirement for you....Be very careful. I should have paid...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
mdonnelly_54, Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Columbus, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
First let me say thanks for your constructive feedback and let me apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I have reviewed your comments with our associates and management team. We are currently in the final stages of repainting all our rooms and replacing many of the lamp shades. We are in the process of scheduling our annual carpet cleaning for all the rooms and it should be completed by the end of the month. Lastly, I will also be working with the desk to make sure they confirm the rate during the check in process. I hope you come back to see us soon and find our improvements meet with your satisfaction.
Birmingham,Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stayed here from aug 8-10 for a graduation. Hotel was nice with a very helpful staff. There is no jacuzzi here but it does have an outdoor pool. It is surrounded by all the places to shop and eat you want. There is breakfast in the morning and they have healthy choices.

Rooms were clean and had a full kitchenette. I stayed in a suite with a pull out couch and 1 bedroom. It was an awesome stay for a military graduation at Fort Benning. They even have directions to the sites in the lobby,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in late June, and I was pretty disappointed. We found the hotel to be lacking in a few areas:
1. Service - while the manager was very nice, the rest of the hotel employees really did not seem to care. As an example, I used a luggage cart to unload my car, and I brought a full cart in while attempting to wrangle a toddler. Did either of the employees at the front desk (which is right there) offer to open the hotel entrance door? No.
2. Cleanliness - when we checked in to our suite, there was a piece of pasta on the floor near the couch. It was still there when we checked out two days later. Garbage was not emptied while we were there. The bathtub could use a good bleaching. The shampoo bottle was half empty when we arrived and also never replaced.
3. Breakfast - it just wasn't good. There were very few healthy options, and nothing I tried really tasted good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the constructive comments regarding your stay with us. We reviewed your comments with the entire staff and we will be taking additional steps to make certain another guest does not encounter the issues you did. We have reiterated to the desk the importance of coming around the desk to help guests get through the front door. While we are somewhat limited with what we can put on our Breakfast Bar, we will look at what we can do to expand our Breakfast Selections. We have started a program to resurface several of our tubs which have become stained over the years of use, that should also be completed soon. Finally, and most importantly, we will be working with our housekeeping staff to ensure the guest room has a better presentation.
I truly hope you come back to see us soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed from Tuesday June 26 through Friday June 29th and had two one bedroom suites for 5 people. The rooms were clean and well appointed. They could use a squirt of bleach around the tub edges. Full sized fridge was nice for snacks and drinks. All the seating was comfy. The beds, including the pullout sofas, were comfortable and had nice bedding and plenty of pillows to choose from. The customer service was super from the cleaning staff, to the front desk and food service workers. We were situated on the first floor, so had no view.. but there wasn't really a view to be had anyhow. The hotel is on the outer edge of a huge shopping complex, backed up to a Hooters Restaurant. We did not have any negative issues with Hooters. The location gave us plenty of dining options as well as a Super Walmart to pick up assorted items we didn't want to or couldn't bring on the the plane in our carry-ons. The free breakfast was awesome, not just a continental, and included hot eggs and sausage, waffles, fruit and assorted breads, pastries and beverages. One other great benefit to travelers staying mid-week is the free dinners on Mon, Tues and Weds, I think those are the days. We missed all but Weds night's barbecue and it was good; not great, but nice after a full day of sightseeing and a big Southern lunch in Columbus. They also had a free wine and beer reception each night that we were there.
Proximity to Sand Hill at Fort Benning for Turning Blue ceremony was about 15/20 minutes, all highway. Graduation at The National Infantry Museum's Soldier Field took a tad bit longer to get to bc our GPS did not send us via the highway. The distance to Hartsfield-Jackson Intern'l Airport was about 1.5 hours and we encountered very little traffic the entire time we were there.

The only negative was that the pool was closed for our entire stay... something to do with the water quality. We booked the hotel bc it had a pool; this was a MAJOR disappointment. We were told we could use the pool at the hotel next door, but that was closed, too, the evening we wanted to use it. Georgia temps were in the high 90s and 100s that week.

Very good value for the price. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed at the hotel mon-fri and all was fine. I am a government worker and my room is tax free. At checkout I was charged taxes. The girl at the front desk was great and corrected the problem. I had reservations for the following two weeks, mon-fri. The next week the Hooters restaurant behind the hotel had a motorcycle show and they were reving the engines and squealing the tires until about 10pm. then the band started up on the outside patio. I know it is not the fault of the hotel so I did not complain. I just think Hooters should realize it is a week night and they are against a hotel that has business travelers. That Friday I went to check out and once again I had taxes. I told the gentleman at the desk, (the same one that checked me in and accepted my forms and badge), and he rolled his eyes and said, "Everyone pays the tax." I tryed to explain again but he cut me off with, "I am the manager and I can't help you." As a frequent traveler for work and a platinum elite Marriott rewards member I was in shock. I simply told him to cancel my reservations for the next week. He rolled his eyes and said "whatever". To be honest I consider myself an easy guest. I stay for the week. I don't have maid service for the week that I am there because I feel I can make my own bed and don't "dirty" the room. If something is not right in the room, (like the TV changer not working or the loud Hooters next door), I just deal with it. The only time I see the staff is at check in and check out. I just expect to be treated with respect. This "manager" is not what I expect from Marriott and I will not stay at this hotel again. I let Marriott know about my dissatisfaction and never heard back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Columbus, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. It sounded like, overall, you enjoyed your stay and we are happy to hear that. With regards to the tax exemption issue that occurred during your stay, I apologize for any confusion. In the future, we will strive to be more specific and timely about Tax exemption requirements at check in. Unfortunately, we are bound by the rules as set by the State of Georgia in who we can tax exempt. In your particular case the credit card provided is not tax exempted. If you would like further information please do not hesitate to email me at RIColumbus@lbaproperties.com or call the hotel directly and ask for me.

We take these and all comments seriously and look forward to hearing from you so we can clear up any confusion. Again we are glad you enjoyed the stay overall and look forward to giving us another chance to show you how much we enjoy having you stay at your home away from home, the Residence Inn Columbus.

Mike Donnelly, General Manager
Residence Inn Columbus
East Alton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

This is one of the newer Residence Inn's and is a 3 story hotel. I had a one bedroom, and there was plenty of room. The "kitchen" is acutally one corner of the living room, and has a full size refrigerator, cook top, microwave oven, and diswasher. No oven as in the older Residence Inns, so unless you planned on baking a cake, the kitchen works fine. The full hot breakfast each day is great with eggs, ham or sausage, potatoes, sometime buscuits and gravy, and of course the nice waffle machine. Three nights a week there is an evening reception with free beer and wine, and a variety of hot and cold snacks. The rooms are maintained very clean, and the beds are very comfortable. Probably one of the best parts of staying here are the over 10 nice restaurants within 1/2 mile. Walking distance to TGIF, Red Lobster, Hooters, Chilis, Longhorn steak house. I have never stayed in a place with so many restaurnants near by. Also Walmart, and a whole shopping center is across the street. All in all a great place to stay. I was there for 3 weeks, and would stay again if works takes me to this part of the country again.

Room Tip: This place is close to Ft. Benning and a lot of soliders stay there especially on weekends. Pick a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Columbus? Share your experiences!