“Great for Fort Benning Graduation” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #34 of 46 hotels in Columbus
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great for Fort Benning Graduation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed from Tuesday June 26 through Friday June 29th and had two one bedroom suites for 5 people. The rooms were clean and well appointed. They could use a squirt of bleach around the tub edges. Full sized fridge was nice for snacks and drinks. All the seating was comfy. The beds, including the pullout sofas, were comfortable and had nice bedding and plenty of pillows to choose from. The customer service was super from the cleaning staff, to the front desk and food service workers. We were situated on the first floor, so had no view.. but there wasn't really a view to be had anyhow. The hotel is on the outer edge of a huge shopping complex, backed up to a Hooters Restaurant. We did not have any negative issues with Hooters. The location gave us plenty of dining options as well as a Super Walmart to pick up assorted items we didn't want to or couldn't bring on the the plane in our carry-ons. The free breakfast was awesome, not just a continental, and included hot eggs and sausage, waffles, fruit and assorted breads, pastries and beverages. One other great benefit to travelers staying mid-week is the free dinners on Mon, Tues and Weds, I think those are the days. We missed all but Weds night's barbecue and it was good; not great, but nice after a full day of sightseeing and a big Southern lunch in Columbus. They also had a free wine and beer reception each night that we were there.
Proximity to Sand Hill at Fort Benning for Turning Blue ceremony was about 15/20 minutes, all highway. Graduation at The National Infantry Museum's Soldier Field took a tad bit longer to get to bc our GPS did not send us via the highway. The distance to Hartsfield-Jackson Intern'l Airport was about 1.5 hours and we encountered very little traffic the entire time we were there.

The only negative was that the pool was closed for our entire stay... something to do with the water quality. We booked the hotel bc it had a pool; this was a MAJOR disappointment. We were told we could use the pool at the hotel next door, but that was closed, too, the evening we wanted to use it. Georgia temps were in the high 90s and 100s that week.

Very good value for the price. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed at the hotel mon-fri and all was fine. I am a government worker and my room is tax free. At checkout I was charged taxes. The girl at the front desk was great and corrected the problem. I had reservations for the following two weeks, mon-fri. The next week the Hooters restaurant behind the hotel had a motorcycle show and they were reving the engines and squealing the tires until about 10pm. then the band started up on the outside patio. I know it is not the fault of the hotel so I did not complain. I just think Hooters should realize it is a week night and they are against a hotel that has business travelers. That Friday I went to check out and once again I had taxes. I told the gentleman at the desk, (the same one that checked me in and accepted my forms and badge), and he rolled his eyes and said, "Everyone pays the tax." I tryed to explain again but he cut me off with, "I am the manager and I can't help you." As a frequent traveler for work and a platinum elite Marriott rewards member I was in shock. I simply told him to cancel my reservations for the next week. He rolled his eyes and said "whatever". To be honest I consider myself an easy guest. I stay for the week. I don't have maid service for the week that I am there because I feel I can make my own bed and don't "dirty" the room. If something is not right in the room, (like the TV changer not working or the loud Hooters next door), I just deal with it. The only time I see the staff is at check in and check out. I just expect to be treated with respect. This "manager" is not what I expect from Marriott and I will not stay at this hotel again. I let Marriott know about my dissatisfaction and never heard back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Columbus, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. It sounded like, overall, you enjoyed your stay and we are happy to hear that. With regards to the tax exemption issue that occurred during your stay, I apologize for any confusion. In the future, we will strive to be more specific and timely about Tax exemption requirements at check in. Unfortunately, we are bound by the rules as set by the State of Georgia in who we can tax exempt. In your particular case the credit card provided is not tax exempted. If you would like further information please do not hesitate to email me at RIColumbus@lbaproperties.com or call the hotel directly and ask for me.

We take these and all comments seriously and look forward to hearing from you so we can clear up any confusion. Again we are glad you enjoyed the stay overall and look forward to giving us another chance to show you how much we enjoy having you stay at your home away from home, the Residence Inn Columbus.

Mike Donnelly, General Manager
Residence Inn Columbus
East Alton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

This is one of the newer Residence Inn's and is a 3 story hotel. I had a one bedroom, and there was plenty of room. The "kitchen" is acutally one corner of the living room, and has a full size refrigerator, cook top, microwave oven, and diswasher. No oven as in the older Residence Inns, so unless you planned on baking a cake, the kitchen works fine. The full hot breakfast each day is great with eggs, ham or sausage, potatoes, sometime buscuits and gravy, and of course the nice waffle machine. Three nights a week there is an evening reception with free beer and wine, and a variety of hot and cold snacks. The rooms are maintained very clean, and the beds are very comfortable. Probably one of the best parts of staying here are the over 10 nice restaurants within 1/2 mile. Walking distance to TGIF, Red Lobster, Hooters, Chilis, Longhorn steak house. I have never stayed in a place with so many restaurnants near by. Also Walmart, and a whole shopping center is across the street. All in all a great place to stay. I was there for 3 weeks, and would stay again if works takes me to this part of the country again.

Room Tip: This place is close to Ft. Benning and a lot of soliders stay there especially on weekends. Pick a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Residence Inn just last week. Our daugher, her husband and baby were in town looking for a new home and I was along to help with the process. I travel quite a bit, but I don't believe that I've ever felt as welcomed and at home as I did at this hotel. The accomodations were lovely - we had a 2 bedroom suite which fit our needs perfectly. It was clean and well-appointed. The manager, Mike, went above and beyond for us. Also, every member of the staff that we met had a smile and a genuine greeting...its obvious that Mike leads by example. The breakfast options were wonderful and tasty and we were able to enjoy 3 nights of the evening receiptions as well. We're grateful to the Residence Inn, Mike and all of the staff for making our move to a new city so much easier for us all.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

From the moment we arrived, we felt welcomed and comfortable in this friendly hotel. The staff could not have been more accommodating yet unobtrusive. It actually felt as though we were in our own home within a hotel. The rooms were bright and clean with everything we needed for a pleasant vacation. Free continental breakfast each day had something for everyone: fresh hot oatmeal, waffles, fruit, coffee, juices...There is plenty of space within the room as well as in the lobby/ sitting area for visiting with local family or guests. This was the most pleasant place that we stayed throughout a long driving trip.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and found it to be very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I made three trips to visit my son processing through OCS for a total of 17 days. The Manager and the staff assisted my family above and beyond what was required.
They assisted my father with handicap shower and seat.
They provided a US flag so that we could hold a private family administration of Oath of Office.
They were so friendly and it made our stay away from home a delight.
I would look forward to staying with them again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I travel to Columbus, at minimum, 3 times per week. I am so happy to have discovered this hotel. The management and staff could not be more helpful and friendly. Mike, the GM, has me and my dog on a first name basis. The staff knows my preferences and does everything to satisfy their guests. They have offered to walk my dog and pick up my groceries. The property is clean and has everything I need (and more) during my stay. A few nights a week there is a happy hour and a cookout/dinner that is provided. I hadn't tried the breakfast until recently, and it is WONDERFUL. They are constantly changing the breakfast menu so that there is always variety. Now I look forward to breakfast each morning. The location is nice-it is surrounded by great shopping and dining facilities. I usually eat at the Jason's Deli off of Whittlesey Blvd- it's quick and tasty, and they'll even deliver.

I could go on and on about how wonderful this hotel is. Needless to say, I am so grateful that there are still places that genuinely care about their customers.

Room Tip: There are studios and rooms with a separate bedroom. Both are great. Studios have one television and...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Columbus? Share your experiences!