“Complaint from previous stay (Nasty and unsanitary)” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Columbus
Korea
“Complaint from previous stay (Nasty and unsanitary)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

My family and I are presently staying at the Marriott Towneplace Suites in Columbus, Georgia. I am so dissatisfied with the way in which this place operates. My chief complaint is Housekeeping. It is horrible!!! Our check-in date was 7 November 2009 and extended to the 7th of December. If we weren’t so busy with burial arrangements and such, I certainly would have relocated my family to another hotel. The onsite Manager is apathetic. The first day that we checked in, the stove was filthy and had burned food inside of it. Over the course of our stay, I have had to call the front desk on different occasions to request vacuum service, to have the trash can washed, properly clean the restroom etc. I became so extremely frustrated and disappointed with the Towneplace Suites that I decided to go next door to the other Marriott hotel (Fairfield Inn) and try and obtain a reservation there, with no luck. However, the attendant on duty assured me that she would contact the General Manager (Mr. Eric Morin/Towneplace Suites). I informed her that I had left a message on his voice service. After a few days, he saw my daughter in the front and told her that he’d received my message (so unprofessional). Management here speaks volumes about the Marriott.
Praiseworthy enough to mention is an employee that I encountered in this place which is a young gentleman by the name of Mr. Octavius Crowell (Night Auditor). When I phoned the hotel from South Korea to make reservations, his phone etiquette was outstanding, professional and what one would expect from customer service and a hotel such as the Marriott. My family flew in to Columbus, Georgia for the death of my brother and Mr. Crowell made me feel much better while I was on the phone with him making reservations for the Towneplace Suites because of his courteous attitude. My hat’s off to him for knowing how to treat customers. Other employees in this hotel should emulate him. He is by far the absolute best and surely stands out above the rest to include management.
I vowed not to ever stay here after the last time in July/August 2009. The maid service was not good then and a couple of the front desk clerks seemed a bit thuggish. But I thought that it had improved or Management had gotten better (obviously not). I have stayed with the Marriott in other states and the Columbus, Georgia Towneplace Suite location has to be the worst to date.
What resonates with me the most is the lazy housekeepers that obviously does the bare minimum in order to stay employed. I cannot pinpoint just one because there have been several during the course of my stay. My perception is that the maid service does a terrible job with the upkeep of this place. Not to mention that the Manager seems to care less about correcting problems for customer satisfaction. A customer should not have to constantly point out things that have not been cleaned. The manager has a lackadaisical attitude as well.
I am a Gold Elite member and is presently staying in #102 (2) bedroom suite (nearly a one month stay).
I felt compelled to inform the corporate office of the Marriott about how their property is being managed and maintained.
I seriously thought about using my Priority Club membership at one of the other hotels. If there are no changes in the cleaning service and care and concern for this property, I will definitely never stay at the Towneplace Suites (Marriott) in Columbus, Georgia again.
Thank you in advance for your attention to the issues at the Towneplace Suites.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
tpscolumbus, Manager at TownePlace Suites by Marriott Columbus, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
I am sorry that you felt this way while staying with us. When you arrived, we were trying to accomodate you as soon as possible because you had just flown in from out of the country. We violated our own procedure by checking you in your room before the room was fully checked by the supervisor. Then when you brought the issue to the GM a few minutes later he came and even offered to clean the oven at that moment for you, but the help was refused and the housekeepers cleaned it the next day.
After the message was left for the GM, he left a few messages on the room phone with no response. This is the reason he spoke to the daughter to see what he could do to help. Finally, he did speak to you through the door of your room, and stated he would come by every day and make sure that everything was cleaned correctly. Also, he stated to please let him know if there is anything else he could do for you during your stay. Nothing else was brought to his attention. We believe we have done everything we can, but if you can think of anything else please let me know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Alexandria, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Like new and the designers paid attention to the wants and desires of connected people (although the internet down/up speeds could be improved). Tasteful, comfortable rooms and the hotel is conveniently located to restaurants and services.

• Stayed December 2009
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel is a new hotel and has very sharp modern styling.

When I arrived to check in I had to pass through 4-5 people smoking on a bench next to the front door, which is very undesirable for a non-smoker!
The front desk clerk was very quiet, did not really wecome me to the hotel, and did not smile. Very disappointing for such a new, bright, and inviting hotel. I believe Management needs to re-energize the staff, or Marriott needs to find new management.

We had a two bedroom suite and it was fabulous, clean, and bright. The HDTV's were great. A separate A/C thermostat control was in each room, and the kitchen was great. The bathroom could use an exhaust fan, it appeared to have one, but did not work.

The breakfast was not very large, with limited variety. The make your own waffles and Coffee were in another area away from the seating, cereal, muffins, and such. It was an acceptable breakfast, but the layout was strange.

I would stay here again, but I hope the staff improves the friendliness, and the smokers are moved away from the front doors.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

This hotel has the worst customer serivce. We had checked out early and I paid cash. I did keep the receipt - thank goodness! They proceeded to charge me for the extra 3 nights that we were to stay. I have no problem with a mistake. I called when I got home and the manager said "no, you stayed the full time". She wanted me to fax her my receipt. It took 3 days to do just that since they wouldn't pickup there fax machine. Another call and they were like "it should work". Finally got through and left my number on there to be reached once this was credited. No call, finally called 2 more times (she would never return my call and I had to get her when she was at hotel) and she advised that it was refunded. No apology from her. This hotel is not Marriott worthy.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

A new hotel. Business trip Wednesday thru Friday.

BLUF:
---------
As a business traveler, this hotel offers all the amenities you are looking for.
I would stay here again.
Check out time - 12 Noon.

Cheers:
-----------
The room was nicely decorated with 11 foot high ceilings with modern furnishings and a nice soft creamy yellow paint color.
Nice comfy bed and sofa with flat screen TV. Nice quite AC unit.
The room was nice and cool when I arrived.
Kitchen – just like home only smaller. D/W, frig, Microwave
Wireless Internet service w/o logging on.
2 phones – 1 by the bed and 1 on the desk.
A nice work area with power outlets above the desk. The desk offers an extra work surface that rolls and can be used as a table to eat and watch TV. Nice office chair.
Flat screen TV with RCA jacks for my iPod. The TV swivels to watch on the couch or bed.
There is a pool.
There is also a small on-site convenience store to get soda, chips, water, snacks, etc…
There are nearby restaurants as well.
The room darkening shades did a good job on keeping out the light if you need to rest during the day. My room was not facing west, so if your room is on the front of the hotel, you will have the afternoon sun to contend with.

Jeers:
---------
The TV is located off to the side of the bed. Some might find this annoying.
Bathroom counter space was limited for me…my wife was not with me…so for 2 people it could be tight.
OK water pressure and decent shower head.
The breakfast area seemed below par, but I did not partake in the freebie.
No ice maker in freezer (just ice trays), but there is an ice machine on site if you wish to fill the ice bin without using the ice trays.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
ATL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

The hotel is recently opened and by far one of the best in the Columbus, GA area!

• Liked — Suite spaciousness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to TownePlace Suites by Marriott Columbus? Share your experiences!