“NO Southern Hospitality or Customer Service, What a disappointment ! ! !” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rothschild - Pound House Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Rothschild - Pound House Inn to your Saves list
Rothschild - Pound House Inn
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   201 Seventh Street, Columbus, GA 31901   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Columbus B&B and Inns
Athens, Georgia
“NO Southern Hospitality or Customer Service, What a disappointment ! ! !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

NO Southern Hospitality or Caring Business Ethics displayed by Rothschild Owner, What a disappointment!!!

I found a the Rothschild Pound House website on a Google search. The website is beautifully designed with inviting descriptions of the rooms, amenities and history. Highly anticipating a wonderful weekend getaway while attending a ceremony at Fort Benning (my husband is a retired infantry soldier) we chose to stay at the RPH based on the website.

Upon our arrival (3:00pm Saturday) we entered the main house, no check-in desk or attendant to be found. My husband began to call the phone number where we made our reservations and I began walking around and found "G" the relations manager in a back office area. She checked us in, paid and we were taken to our room “Few Street Suite”. Upon arrival we noticed the room was very “hot”. We brought in our bags and started looking for the thermostat to adjust the temperature to cool the room down. Could not find the thermostat and called the RPH to find out how to adjust the temperature in the room and to notify "G" how hot the room was– she stated the thermostat was in the hallway. The temperature read 79% but our room had to be hotter than that. ( just as a thought - if I was a Bed and Breakfast Inn owner and knew that my guest would be arriving on a hot day I would adjust the room temperature before there arrival ). To give the room a chance to cool down we decided to go to Longhorn’s for an early dinner. We returned to the room at about 7:00pm the thermostat had only gone down 1 degree. We decided to watch some TV and try to relax while praying the room would cool down so that we could get a good nights sleep. The TV was so small that you could not see it from the bed and on top of that it DID NOT have the “full movie” channels as described under the amenities listed on the web site. When we turned down the bed and DID NOT FIND “deluxe linens and premium bedding” as described under the amenities listed on the website. When going into the bath room we DID NOT find the “Bee Kind” collection of soaps and lotions by “Gilchrist & Soames” nor did we have “bath robes” in our room. These items were listed under the amenities section for what to expect IN your room and should be in your room upon arrival. To describe the room it was not decorated as the photo shown in the pictures on the website and was decorated with old used paper back books? It was so disappointing to have been charged $178.25 for this and on top of that it was 78% in our room. At 9:30pm it was still 78% I called and told "G" that we would not be staying the night at the Rothschild Pound House Inn because we were hot, tired and just wanted to go home (4 hours away) and try to get a good nights rest. At that point "G" offer to call an HVAC tech to take a look at the system. We just wanted to go home and told her we were packing our bags. I wanted to know how to receive a refund due to not staying the night because of the HEAT. "G" stated that she had already informed the owner "MP" about the situation but she was at dinner and a movie with her family. "G" stated that owner "MP" would call me the next day about the situation. I NEVER received a phone call or email from either one! When I would call to speak with the owner "MP" about the situation or to inquire what was going to be done about a refund "G" would tell me that “MP" is very busy homeschooling her children and she will call you when she has a free moment” . Just to let all of you know - "MP" NEVER called or emailed nor did "G" make an effort to call me. I put in a dispute with my credit card and received a full refund yesterday - this only took 3 months to resolve. (For this reason only is why I have waited to post my review, I wanted to be sure that I received a full refund back)

I think they should have "temp" A/C unit in each room that that each guest and adjust the temp in their room as needed. I also suggest to update the web site to reflect what your guest will actually receive & experience. This Inn has great potential but will need to improve room “amenities”, “room décor”, and "conditions" before they can expect someone to pay $178.25 for a room. Wished we had gone to a HOLIDAY INN we would have received BETTER service, amenities for LESS MONEY!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Albany, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This Bed and Breakfast has many great features but a few things could easily be improved:
We called to inquire and book our stay. We were told we would be staying in a particular room and would receive email confirmation. We never received email confirmation, so we called to verify but never received a call back. We were left to wonder if we really had a reservation at all. When we arrived, no one was there. The nearby restaurant was closed, too. Later we heard it was a lightning issue.
Finally, we received a call and were assured they would look up our reservation. They then said the room we booked was occupied already, leaving an uncomfortable sitution with how to sleep with our kids in another room or split up the parents to stay with the kids.
They tried to be very helpful by giving us 2 rooms for the price of 1, but it was not ideal. Unlike another review, the rooms were plenty cool.
When we got in our rooms, someone came up for our credit card. We told them we would be back down shortly. Why didn't they handle that before checking us in if they needed it 10 minutes after we got in our rooms? Anyway, we were told we would receive a receipt under our door but we never received it at all. If you don't mind a little run around please focus on this:
*** The house is beautiful and has everything you might need to relax.
***The beds were comfortable and the sheets smelled very clean.
***The breakfast is great and there were fresh cut flowers all around.

Room Tip: Balcony room provides a
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at this lovely historic inn on a recommendation from a frequent business traveler to Columbus. It was so perfect! The rooms were clean and quiet with lots of privacy. We were greeted with our check in person, Anna, right away and were escorted to our cozy cottage. We walked to the restaurant area and also rented bikes to ride along the River walk. The owner, Mamie was a wealth of information about the area and made sure we were comfortable in our rooms. I felt right at home there! I met families that were coming in to see their sons and daughters at Ft.Benning. The art was fabulous and it was everywhere along with fresh flowers in our rooms! The soaps and shampoos were nice. We slept great and will return!

Room Tip: If you are with your family, ask for one of the double cottages to stay next to each other.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Opelika, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I have stayed here several times and have always enjoyed the inn and its staff. I would call it the an experience like none other. I have stayed in lot of great hotels all over the country and this is one is my favorite. If you are in Columbus don't stay anywhere else. Also, some of the top names in Hollywood have stayed here. I would highly recommend this wonderful inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

We stayed one night in the Chattahoochee Suite in the Few Cottage. We were very pleased with our stay. The room was a bit small but very well appointed and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was large and the bathtub was deep and relaxing. There were even rose petals sprinkled round the tub. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows for us. The air conditioner thermostat was in the hallway and was for the whole cottage. Someone in another room turned it up and it did get warm in the room overnight but we had a ceiling fan that helped. Our room shared a small kitchen with one other room (which was unoccupied) which was convenient. Check in was very easy and everyone we met was nice. We stayed the night before Easter and unfortunately were unable to get breakfast on Easter morning because they closed the kitchen early without letting us know. It was an oversight and the owner heard about it and offered us a discount on our bill after the fact. I would have liked to try the restaurant because I've heard good things about it.

The location was very good. It was so easy to find and was within walking distance from downtown Columbus. When I say walking distance I mean about a mile or so...but it was a beautiful walk among historic homes, huge shade trees and monuments. The purpose for our trip was to celebrate our anniversary and to hike Providence Canyon. We thought the whole weekend was perfect.

We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to our friends and family. Next time we'll try the restaurant for dinner and maybe even get our breakfast served in our room.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I also agree not worth the money!
I was so diaapointed in the Pound House Bed and Breakfast and the overall feel of everything. The furniture is broken or worn out or faded. This could be such an amazing place if a little TLC was done... however ,it feels like nothing has been done to it since it was moved to this site in 1993, The lamps were dusty, the rugs did not appear to be clean. The chair I sat in... when I sat straight up in the chair, the back went out like a recliner (not a recliner). We stayed upstairs...the one with the balcony. I felt like I was staying in a house that needed a lot of repairs and they have just been ignored. the walls had water damage. We loved the food!!!
The staff was very friendly and the food was very good.

Room Tip: Don't expect much and you'll be fine
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We spent two great nights here last weekend. It is stunning. Beautiful flowers in our room. We hardly left our room at all, except to have dinner at the restaurant, also quaint and extremely tasty. Our breakfast in bed was Steak Benedict! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rothschild - Pound House Inn? Share your experiences!