“Nice stay for Basic Training graduation” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #32 of 46 hotels in Columbus
Phoenix, AZ
“Nice stay for Basic Training graduation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here Sep 18-21 for our son's graduation from basic training at Ft. Benning. We initially selected this hotel because it was a suite hotel so it would have 1) a mini living room with a pull-out couch with some degree of privacy and 2) a kitchenette. We thought we would need the pull-out sofa as my son's girlfriend was traveling with us. As it happened, another family member ended up coming as well so we got another room instead.

The bed was comfortable. The room was clean and well equipped. The wifi was free, and worked well. Staff was very courteous. Plenty of towels, better-than-average water pressure (husband is picky about this!) Took the hot water a while to get to the third floor on Tuesday, but other days was faster.

I have a feather allergy so asked for foam pillows. Feather pillows were on the bed but when we called for replacement we were told they were faux feather pillows. I didn't have an allergy response (positive), but we weren't fans of the pillows as (like feather pillows) they were very thin. We asked for additional pillows after the first night but there weren't any available until Thursday night (when most BT families checked out).

There wasn't a blanket or a comforter on the bed. There was a nice vellux blanket in the closet for the pull-out sofa, though -- I put that on the bed because otherwise I would have been cold at night (my husband likes to crank the AC).

The TV was large and swiveled so it could be viewed from either the 'living room' or the bed.

Breakfast was above average - "continental plus" - as it included waffle maker, microwave eggs, and sausage.

Maid on Thurs didn't make it to our room until 4:00 pm, at which point, being so close to bedtime, we turned her away. BT graduation was on Thursday morning so I think most other families checked out that morning and they had to prepare the rooms for new arrivals. However, none of these check-outs were a surprise so they could certainly have planned for additional staff assistance on that day.

It was easy to find with our iPhone map, but it isn't obvious from the road as it sits back, behind some restaurants. It is on a little bit of a hill, though. It is very close to lots of restaurants - TGI Fridays, Zoe's Kitchen, Five Guys Burgers, and a yogurt place were right in front of the hotel. Bonefish Grill, Applebees, Cheddars, Hooters, and a pizza place (across from Cheddars) were done the road a little bit. It was right across the street from a Walmart which was convenient for groceries and supplies.

We'd never eaten at Zoe's Kitchen before and really enjoyed their fresh options. My son's girlfriend said the hummus was as good as the hummus her grandmother makes from scratch. My husband flipped over the pimento cheese.

Once we knew where we were going it took us about 20-25 minutes to get to the Ft. Benning barracks (Tuesday), Pomeroy Field (Wednesday-Family Day), and the Infantry Museum (Graduation-Thursday). We naively didn't get better directions for our first trip to the fort (because we thought the Army-provided map would be sufficient - it wasn't!!). We drove miles out of our way that first time. We were smarter after that - dropped a pin on our iPhone map so we could plot a direct path the second time!

My husband works for a defense contractor and had been told to make sure he tried the Ranger burgers. It took us a little bit to figure this out, but fortunately our son's drill sargent knew that these burgers could be found at Four Winds Restaurant. I couldn't find this restaurant on TripAdvisor, but was able to find it on my Yelp app. It is in the middle of nowhere so follow your mapping app directions carefully! This restaurant is clearly a local favorite. The hambugers were huge and good -- perhaps not the best I've had but tasty. My husband loved the hush puppies -- they were made the right way, he said!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Troy, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

As a Marriott Gold member, my husband asked for a top floor corner room as we were traveling with our 14-month-old daughter. The lady at the front desk said nothing was available. It was 4 p.m. and the hotel wasn't sold out online. Anyway, we got a second-floor middle room--no problem--except that their only elevator didn't work. Then the assistant manager told a young private that the cost of a room for him would be $129. Having served in the military and paying the $82 government/military rate ourselves, my husband interjected and asked the assistant manager, "Don't you have a government or military rate for this private?" She said "no." The private, whom we know doesn't make much money, left. We went to our room, carrying baby and luggage up the stairs. A maintenance man was kind enough to carry our stroller up the stairs. When we got to the room, my husband checked the Internet and sure enough, the military/government rate WAS still available for this hotel. We decided we could not stay at a hotel that knowingly took advantage of junior enlisted soldiers by charging $47 more a night. When confronted, the manager said that their systems do not show the military/government rate available even though the Internet does. Then she said, "We do try to accommodate the privates." Yeah right. We checked out and went to another hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
shscolumbus, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Columbus, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback it is always great to hear on how we can improve our customer service here at the Springhill Suites Columbus Georgia. I am sorry that we were not able to accomidate you with the room that you wanted. I am also sorry to hear that the elevator was down while you were here. We were getting our monthly maintenance done on the elevator which is required to make sure it is safe for all of our guests. Here at the Springhill Suites we always try to accomidate each and every guest wether it is about rate or where they want to be in the hotel. We are especially cautious to our military guests due to the fact of all that they do for all of us. Sometimes we can not always accomidate the military with rate but we do try. I am sorry about all of the issues you had at our property. I hope that someday you will come again to our property and let us give you and your family the customer service that we provide daily.

Sincerely

Candace Forbes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

The staff is excellent at this hotel. All of the staff members were always pleasant and in top of things. You can tell that they enjoy their job. My family and I stayed here for three nights and enjoyed our stay. Very clean hotel probably one of the cleanest I have stayed at. If you have not stayed at this hotel you need to. The rooms are not only super clean but they are very spacious suites with nice amenities.

• Stayed September 2012
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at the Springhill Suites on July 3. It was a great stay.

This has a good location, but it is slightly hidden. Look for the sign. It is surrounded by shopping. Now, it's funny, but we chose this because it's supposed to be located close to a Red Robin. (My son loves Red Robin. Yummmmmm.) Neither one of us could see it. Our GPS had the closest one being 100 miles away. I'm sure it's there, but we never saw it.

I like Springhill Suites. They usually have good rooms, and -- as with all Marriott properties -- great beds. This was no different. Our room was 3-4 down from the elevator. However, if it had been closer I don't think it would have been a problem since we had no noise from the hall.

The breakfast was good with a good selection.

We'll definitely return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stay at Springhill Suites for 2 nights to visit family. The room was large enough for my husband and I, along with our 19 month old. Loved having a mini-fridge for his snacks and juice. The rooms and lobby were nice. Only two minor draw backs: at check in there are only two luggage carts which were being used/left on other floors so we had to make several trips to unload luggage and pack and plays. Also at breakfast I don't think they were prepared for the volume (several youth baseball teams were staying there as well) and they ran out of food. There is only one waffle maker so you had to wait on that as well. But overall we were pleased. Also the location is wonderful: Plenty of dinning options and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool. It stays open till 11pm.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Spring, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The AC, unfortunately, is a wall unit meant to cool the entire room. In the sitting area, the AC was lacking. The hotel was crowded but the rooms were relatively quiet.
The breakfast was good; the waffles were very good! I like the extra fruit available to take on the road. Staff was extremely friendly. I never felt like I was imposing when I asked at the desk for assistance.
The pool was clean; but could have used a bit more seating
Location is great with lots of (typical chain) restaurants and shoppimg. It is also only a short distance from Ft Benning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This hotel was our "back up plan" since the downtown Marriott was booked for a wedding and the Sugarland concert. We were pleased with the location of the hotel near the mall & restaurants (about 15 minutes from downtown), the clean room condition, and the complimentary coffee and continental breakfast (bagels, muffins, fruit & scrambled eggs). The lobby is modern and bright. This was our first time staying in the SpringHill brand, and as Marriott Reward customers, we were pleasantly surprised by the experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Columbus? Share your experiences!