“Authentic German Food!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Georgia
“Authentic German Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We've been eating at Bavarian House for years--it's always a great experience. I recently traveled to Germany and was excited to compare my favorite dish, the Rouladin, with "authentic" German food. I couldn't find it anywhere! When I asked why, I was told that it was too complicated to make! Needless to say, I couldn't wait to get back to Columbus for this treat! If you are looking for a fancy place, this is not for you....but, if you want genuine German food, you'll enjoy Bavarian House!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kansas
“Good, simple German Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Bavarian House is a good German restaurant; nothing spectacular. Rather, it is a place to go and get some simple German fare. They have a good selection of snitzels and some other German mains like wurst and sauerbraten. Their salad is a nice German salad of different pickled veggies and potatoes with lettuce; what they serve is based on what they can get. Their desserts are very good. They have a pretty darn good selection of bottle German beers too. The place is not fancy; it sits in a strip mall. The wait staff is typical of small town America; not “pros” by any stretch but they do OK. This place is a good place to get some German fare; I stop all the time while I’m on travel to Columbus. I like the food and the bigger the group, the more fun we have.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“No Wonder Deutsch Food Has Such a Poor Reputation in the USA”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

As soon as I stepped inside, I was put off by the decor. This is the ugliest place I have ever eaten. The decorations on the walls are dusty and look like they were hung decades ago and forgotten. The furnishings are just cheap-looking tables and chairs that one sees in a low-rent banquet hall. I hoped that the food would make up for the surroundings, but was sorely disappointed. Only the beer was enjoyable.

• Visited May 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Georgia
“Great German food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I thought this place was all-around great. The food was really delicious. I was surprised that the portions were so large. My husband and I ordered an appetizer, but then we couldn't finish our dinners because we were so full. And believe me, we were trying! The service was excellent. We were very pleased.

I'm really surprised that there was only one other review of this place. I'm not surprised that it was a good one.

• Visited October 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Georgia
“An excellent German Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Every time I come to Columbus from Warner Robins, I make a point of going to this restaurant. It is excellent! German restaurants are few and far between in Georgia, and as someone who has lived in Germany I try to visit these whenever I can. I can honestly say that this is the best German restaurant that I have found in Georgia. Schnitzle plates average around $13.00, and include side, salad, and yummy German bread. They have a large selection of German biers, including Tucher Weiss on draft. The rum cakes and Black Forest cakes are excellent for dessert.

A truly superior German restaurant that (sadly) never seems to have many customers whenever we dine there. That is a shame because this place is a little gem!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere