“Meh Marriott” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
VA
“Meh Marriott”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Due to a cancelled flight, while travelling with my elderly mother, we ended up booking here due to its proximity to the airport and decent rate. It was after 10 so I figured it would be a quiet ride on the shuttle. Not quite. The first shuttle was standing room only leaving a line of people to wait for the next shuttle which would have been the same situation. Had I been solo, this would have been fine, but I didn't want to have my mom jostled around. We'd already waited a while for the first shuttle so I decided to get a cab to avoid the chaos. A competitors shuttle bus driver saw us walking away and asked where we were staying and offered to drop us off since the hotels were near each other. There are still gentlemen in the world that display Southern hospitality at its best! We arrive at the hotel to be met with a long line so I had my mom sit while I checked in. It took between 20-30 minutes but the front desk clerk was friendly and efficient and got us checked in quickly. My rate included breakfast but unfortunately, our flight time didn't leave us enough time for breakfast. Didn't get to check out the hotel amenities but the room was clean. The bed was ok, the room was nothing special and had some signs of wear. It served its purpose and was close to the airport. The shuttle got us to the airport quickly the next morning. It is a very busy hotel with a lot of flight staff and business travelers so keep this in mine.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed one night at this property and we were favorably impressed. The lobby is attactive with interesting features like eclectic light fixtures. We had drinks and ate in the lobby bar. The food was fine, but nothing great. Nice atmosphere, though. There were quite a few people just socializing in the entire lobby area which speaks well for the place being inviting. Our room was on the concierge floor. There was lots of space to spread things out and the bathroom was upgraded with granite. Altough the room overlooked some of the airport runways and we could see planes taking off, we did not notice any bothersome noise. The fitness center was well-equipped and the full breakfast (which we were comped) was excellent. Like most hotel breakfasts, it was pricey and I wouldn't have just paid for it. We would definitely recommend this Marriott. The only nuisssance was parking--valet or self-park. The self-park lot was pretty full and we had to walk a ways with our luggage, but it didn't seem worth it to pay the extra for valet. There were some problems on our day of check-out with cars exiting from the parking--you have to pay at the exit site and an attendant had to keep running out and swiping her own card to let cars leave.

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed here just for the night after a long flight from Europe and I missed my connecting flight. What I love about this hotel is that there's an airport shuttle.
The rooms are fairly small but clean. The hotel has a bistro, sushi bar, lounge combo that's spacious and inviting. I had sushi the day I arrived and it was decent. There's a convenience store in the lobby and they have a Starbucks. Room service was available also and I opted for that on my day of departure so I could just chill in the room. There's an outdoor pool and gym. Being a Marriott Rewards member has its perks such as free internet which normally costs 12.95. Valet parking is $15 when my friend came to visit. Best thing about this hotel is their staff, from the shuttle driver, front desk, concierge, restaurant and room service staff, everyone was very pleasant, courteous and helpful. I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Spent one night here to attend a business meeting at the hotel. It was an excellent choice for our meeting location as the team was coming from 5 locations and could all get direct flights to Atlanta. The Marriott shuttle driver was professional and friendly, offering free water as we boarded and assuring us that he would move the bags on and off the bus. Of course we all tipped him.

The hotel property is older but has been renovated. I used the pool for a half hour swim and it was decent. The fitness area looked good. We ate dinner in the steak restaurant and it was outstanding, both food and service. Drinks at the lobby bar were also good, as the decor is modern and bright, very good for a team meeting area.

There was only one hiccup. When I was seated at the work desk in the room I could hear a faint humming sound like an ice chiller pump or a hand drill. About every 3 minutes it would run for 10 seconds. It was faint such that I couldn't hear it in bed, and I slept fine. However, if I had been there for more than 1 night and needed to work on the computer I would have requested a room change otherwise it would have driven me crazy.

I would stay here again, especially for a "hotel convention meeting", assuming that the room noise would be eliminated.

Room Tip: Room 1146 has a humming noise coming from somewhere.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Shuttle service to the airport is convenient. Rooms are comfortable. Lounge areas are plentiful. There is a Starbucks that is onsite. The only downsides are that the hotel is not near Atlanta proper, you have to pay for parking, and the business center isn't free.

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel is very dated, and in disrepair. The door to my room was difficult to shut, and in fact when the bellman accompanied me to my room the first night, the door was partially ajar and I had him enter first just to make sure it was unoccupied. The main phone did not work in my room, the toilet handle had to be held down to make the toilet flush, and the entire room was covered in dust. I dropped a black shirt on the carpet by accident from my suitcase and when I picked it up it was covered in dust. The phone cradle and top of bed frame too needed a good wipe down.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for three nights 8/1-8/4/2013. This hotel was clean, updated and comfortable. The staff was amazing, from the valet who greets you at the entrance, to the front desk, to the restaurant & bar staff, just everywhere! This is the place to stay if you need to be near the airport when travelling to Atlanta. Food & drinks were great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlanta Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!