“dreadful service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maryculter House Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Maryculter House Hotel to your Saves list
Maryculter House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Deeside Road | Aberdeen, Maryculter AB12 5GB, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maryculter
united kingdom
“dreadful service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We came here on the recommendation of the Marcliff Hotel as they were full.We arived for dinner only, with guests and were a party of 6. There was a wedding but only two other couples in the dining room. After taking our order, the waiter came back to confirm the order then the wait began. We were shown into the dining room eventually,a waitress poured water into the wine glasses.When our starter arrived the order was wrong and the restaurant manageress prceeded to argue this point, then she blamed "the foreign guy" for this error. A member of our party was left with no starter for at least twenty minutes and no explenation. At this point I got up from the table and spoke to the duty manager Who said he would sort things. The wine did not arrive and when it did there were no glasses to pour it into.However the restaurant manageress proceeded to knock the wine stand accross the room.At one point the staff were looking in a cupboard for more glasses and everyone was different! There were so many problems we do not have room to document them all.
The whole evening was a complete farce.
We had travelled 300 miles and had guests otherwise we would of walked out in the begining.
Needless to say a little finesse would have gone a long way.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

We had to go to Maryculter House Hotel for a friend's wedding, and rather than spend hours travelling on the morning of the wedding we decided to travel the day before and stay for 2 nights. I had reason to contact the hotel a number of times before we arrived. The staff were always very pleasant and tried to help each time, but didn't always seem to understand my enquiry.

Since we don't have a car, we needed to get to the hotel from the centre of Aberdeen and I emailed the hotel a couple of times for advice, but still haven't had a response. We got a taxi that cost almost £20.

In the hotel, the staff were all friendly and always smiled or said hello as you passed them which I think is a nice touch.

The hotel itself is beautiful, with the main building being a rabbit warren of rooms. The Resident's Lounge in particular is amazing, and a great place to relax in front of an open fire.

The room we stayed in was a short walk away from Reception. It had a double bed, desk and a small wardrobe - enough space for a short stay. As we were on the ground floor we had a door opening onto the hotel gardens, but no window, so the room got stuffy overnight. The bathroom was fantastic with a bath and separate wet room shower. Toiletries were provided but no handsoap, so I was glad to have brought my own.

There is no wifi, just a very expensive broadband connection. I used my mobile internet dongle which was more than adequate. Some mobile phones do not get a very good signal inside the hotel.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, so without transport we ate there there both nights. The meal on the first night was nice, we just ate from the bar menu but since there was a wedding going on we couldn't sit in the bar and had to sit in a small room on our own with staff sticking their head in the door every now and again. The sticky toffee pudding was amazing. The food at the wedding was also good, and there was lots of choice at breakfast.

Overall, a lovely little hotel that I wouldn't hesitate going back to... as long as I had my own car!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

This is an amazing venue right on the banks of the river Dee and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Public areas and room was a little cold on arriving although very clean with bags of character. Food was generally fair but not great value as it was quite pricey. Wired broadband in the room and wireless in most public areas but all disappointingly slow if you want to work from here.

• Stayed March 2011
Haverhill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

The MaryCulter House Hotel is about a 30 minute drive from Aberdeen, (Dyce) Airport.

We were going to stay for two nights for a family wedding.

I was travelling with my father who is disabled and as we were travelling very early in the morning I requested an early (9.30am) check in for his room and they happy to help. When we arrived his room was ready for him as asked.

All the staff were very friendly and always happy to help and provide advise on the local area. The hotel has two restaurants, one served from the bar and another which was more expensive. We ate from the bar menu which had a good selection and was reasonable.

The only thing that let the bar down was the selection of beer - my partner is an Ale drinker, so he had to settle for Guiness.

Our room was on the ground floor - which had french doors opening out onto the green by the river - the view was stunning. Room was clean and tidy and the bathroom had a bath and a wetroom shower. The room had a tea/coffee tray and also a hairdryer and iron with ironing board - very useful. However, the internet was £9.95 per 24 hours -bit of let down.

The wedding was great - the location was amazing by the river. The service during the meal was great and the food was also stunning - no complaints.

Would I stay there again? For sure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Superb, excellent - luxurious, clean, fabulous room with ensuite wet room. Fantastic service and food - would thoroughly recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I had to stay overnight in Aberdeen for business purposes and decided to give the Maryculter a try. What a nice experience it was! The reception staff were friendly and welcoming which immediately made me feel relaxed. My room was lovely with a big comfy bed, desk and plenty of hanging space and the bathroom was beautiful with a modern walk in shower and separate bath. Overlooking the Dee and woodland, my room was exceptionally quiet. Whenever I'm away with work, I don't usually feel comfortable eating alone in the dining room /sitting in the bar so I had room service which was very quick and the food still hot (something of a rarity). I did venture downstairs for a 'nosey' in the public areas which were also very nice. The 'Hall' was beautiful with exposed stone walls, a roaring fire and comfy couches and I wished I'd brought a book with me so I could have spent some time there. It would be a lovely setting for a wedding.

My only gripe about the room was that there was no Wifi, only broadband at £10 and I didn't want to start messing about with my laptop settings. Instead I used my BT 'stick' and the connection was dreadfully slow so I didn't get much work done. If free Wifi was available the hotel would be a great venue for midweek business users. At £65 it was half the price of some city centre hotels, albeit you need to have your own transport.

I would definitely use this hotel again for work, but I really want to come back with hubby for the weekend and enjoy all that it has to offer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

After staying at bed and breakfasts, we were happy to be at a hotel for a change of pace. The Maryculter House has the feeling of being set "back in time" with modern conveniences. The rooms are a bit small, but the bathrooms are modern and spacious. There is a wonderful bar and lounge area with a fireplace and quiet spaces to convene and enjoy a drink at the end of the day. The grounds of the hotel are set next to a river which is picturesque. The staff were friendly and helpful. A good value hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Maryculter House Hotel? Share your experiences!