“Great idyllic location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maryculter House Hotel

Save Saved
You added Maryculter House Hotel to your Saves list
Maryculter House Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Deeside Road | Aberdeen, Maryculter AB12 5GB, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maryculter
Haverhill, United Kingdom
“Great idyllic location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

The MaryCulter House Hotel is about a 30 minute drive from Aberdeen, (Dyce) Airport.

We were going to stay for two nights for a family wedding.

I was travelling with my father who is disabled and as we were travelling very early in the morning I requested an early (9.30am) check in for his room and they happy to help. When we arrived his room was ready for him as asked.

All the staff were very friendly and always happy to help and provide advise on the local area. The hotel has two restaurants, one served from the bar and another which was more expensive. We ate from the bar menu which had a good selection and was reasonable.

The only thing that let the bar down was the selection of beer - my partner is an Ale drinker, so he had to settle for Guiness.

Our room was on the ground floor - which had french doors opening out onto the green by the river - the view was stunning. Room was clean and tidy and the bathroom had a bath and a wetroom shower. The room had a tea/coffee tray and also a hairdryer and iron with ironing board - very useful. However, the internet was £9.95 per 24 hours -bit of let down.

The wedding was great - the location was amazing by the river. The service during the meal was great and the food was also stunning - no complaints.

Would I stay there again? For sure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

Superb, excellent - luxurious, clean, fabulous room with ensuite wet room. Fantastic service and food - would thoroughly recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I had to stay overnight in Aberdeen for business purposes and decided to give the Maryculter a try. What a nice experience it was! The reception staff were friendly and welcoming which immediately made me feel relaxed. My room was lovely with a big comfy bed, desk and plenty of hanging space and the bathroom was beautiful with a modern walk in shower and separate bath. Overlooking the Dee and woodland, my room was exceptionally quiet. Whenever I'm away with work, I don't usually feel comfortable eating alone in the dining room /sitting in the bar so I had room service which was very quick and the food still hot (something of a rarity). I did venture downstairs for a 'nosey' in the public areas which were also very nice. The 'Hall' was beautiful with exposed stone walls, a roaring fire and comfy couches and I wished I'd brought a book with me so I could have spent some time there. It would be a lovely setting for a wedding.

My only gripe about the room was that there was no Wifi, only broadband at £10 and I didn't want to start messing about with my laptop settings. Instead I used my BT 'stick' and the connection was dreadfully slow so I didn't get much work done. If free Wifi was available the hotel would be a great venue for midweek business users. At £65 it was half the price of some city centre hotels, albeit you need to have your own transport.

I would definitely use this hotel again for work, but I really want to come back with hubby for the weekend and enjoy all that it has to offer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

After staying at bed and breakfasts, we were happy to be at a hotel for a change of pace. The Maryculter House has the feeling of being set "back in time" with modern conveniences. The rooms are a bit small, but the bathrooms are modern and spacious. There is a wonderful bar and lounge area with a fireplace and quiet spaces to convene and enjoy a drink at the end of the day. The grounds of the hotel are set next to a river which is picturesque. The staff were friendly and helpful. A good value hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

After suffering a shower with no water and the bath with only cold I complained to the receptionist at checkout. She was very snappy and told me the shower was working and that they had a boiler problem. There was indeed a boiler problem but our room also had a shower problem.
I was sadly under the impression that one should take care of your customers but this was obviously lost on this employee.
I also noted that the breakfast room had not been vacuumed and made ready since we had drinks there the previous evening. Poor show for a 4star hotel

Poor staff training has ensured we will never return to this hotel or recommend to others.
I can be insulted anywhere and pay much less for the privilege.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We first went to this hotel in the summer of 2009 for a family wedding. We found it fantastic. nice small hotel with friendly staff and great food.
We have since been back a good 5 or 6 times and love it every time. Staff are extremely friendly, the food is great and well priced and the residents lounge wih the fire roaring away is just ace. Great place to sit with a dram after a meal.
The rooms mostly of a good size with some over looking the river Dee. The walk in showers are great to freshen up.
All in all this hotel is a hidden gem.
With it only being a few miles from our house its just such a good little retreat to have some quality time together. Will be returning here for many years hopefully.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Travelled up from Norfolk for a family christening in Banchory. Booked a 2 night celebration stay as well as a treat for birthday/ wedding anniversary. At time of booking hotel very helpfully mentioned that there would be weddings on both days however this did not in anyway disrupt our stay, in fact it was wonderful to see all the finery of a scottish wedding and the scottish piper.

The hotel is alongside the river Dee and has a magical old ruins of an ancient chrch in its grounds with connections to the Knights Templar.

Our room was in the new accomdoation block and was just perfect. A spacious room with lounge area and spacious bathroom.

All the staff were very helpful , friendly and courteous at all times despite weddings going on they made every effort to ensure that we enjoyed our stay.

The food was first class and we ate breakfast and dinner. There is an amazing old vaulted hall to have your after dinner coffee in. It has a wonderful atmosphere and we enjoyed it all the more with the background of the wedding and all the activities which did not disrupt our stay at all and all was quiet once we went to our rooms.

On arrival to hotel we were greeted with champagne on ice in our room and a cuddly teddy as part of our celebration packet which is a nice touch.

All in all a wonderful place to stay and to explore the wonderful countryside.

My only small gripe is the cost of internet connection at £9 a day is expensive especially in this day and age of free wifi.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Maryculter House Hotel? Share your experiences!