“Old, dimly lit rooms, old dark TV's, bad plumbing system” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Clayton
Florida
“Old, dimly lit rooms, old dark TV's, bad plumbing system”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We read Trip Advisor before heading to N Ga and chose this hotel based on the reviews. Imagine our less than stellar surprise! We wondered if we'd entered the wrong hotel. While the staff was very friendly, pleasant and welcoming, our room left much to be desired. We did not stay one night - we were booked for four nights so had an opportunity to witness staff changes. Not every staff person was as friendly as the one when we checked in. A few were barely interactive.
We were given a "special room" - made special by the fact it had a flat screen TV. We were soon to learn why that TV was special.
Upon entering the room we had to turn on lights (none of which were above a 40 watt bulb.) The lighting in this "quality" inn was dismal. But the worst was yet to come. The toilet would not flush well - water simply swirling round and round in the bowl. We called the front desk which responded: "We've never had a problem before" as though we had somehow damaged the illustrious plumbing system. Her further comments were - sometimes it takes a while. When challenged again she came bearing a PLUNGER to solve the problem. It did not! We could not flush the bathroom all through the night so asked to be moved to another room the following morning. This seemed a big inconvenience for the staff though the hotel only had 5 cars parked in front of rooms.
We were moved to another room which was darker and more dismal than the "special room" - Again the lighting was a disaster. And the TV was an old cathode ray with picture so dark one could not view the screen. I went to the office to ask if there was a controller that might fix the lightness-darkness or contrast on the TV. The very welcoming staff person of the previous day now had lost her glow of friendliness. She told me she did not know where the "master controller was - it was around here someplace and she'd have to look for it" --- I inquired about the maintenance man which was breezily ignored. Needless to say, in 4 days the remote controller was never found, the maintenance man never showed up, so we read books in the dimly lit room in the evening as the TV was too dark to see.
But the best was yet to come ... this toilet had trouble flushing too. Same as the one in the "special room". When we complained again to the front desk that this toilet was also not flushing she gave us the plunger to keep in the room. Ive never been in a hotel (NOT EVEN IN THE WILDS OF PERU) where the solution to a plumbing problem was the guest should plunge their own toilet.
Their breakfast was ok though the coffee very weak. The beds were comfortable and the pillows nice. But overall this CHOICE property really needs upgrades to the septic system (perhaps a clean out?) and the 19" dark cathode ray TV's need to be changed. And while they are at it, get some bright bulbs in the rooms so guests don't feel like they're in a catacomb.

Room Tip: Investigate each room; flush the toilets; check the TV and lighting, then put your credit card down.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Glennville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Depending on trip advisor reviews, my sister & I stayed here one rainy night last week. We were met by a very friendly, helpful check in at front desk. As I* had read on TA rooms were very clean, comfortable beds and great pillows. Small shower, but again very clean! Basic room in older hotel, but could not have asked for more for one night. We were so pleased that we will consider this location when ever we have to stay in Clayton. Almost hate to tell others about this location as they had already heard of their great reviews onh TA. Price was good and info on places to eat wAS OH SO ACCURATE! Breakfast area very small, but only one other family at the time we had breakfast. Basic, but enough variety and hot items that it was very satisfying. A very pleasant young man at checkout made this a very enjoyable stay. Would stay here again without a doubt. (hope to in the near future)

Room Tip: All rooms open on outside-but had quiet neighbors-good sleep
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here-we were very impressed. HUGE room with a fireplace, couch in a different room than where we slept, clean, great staff!!! I would so recommend this place!!!! If we are ever in the area again we would stay here...would not even consider anywhere else!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Perry, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We go to North Ga a couple times a year. When ever I travel I stay in Choice Hotels and this is one. It may not be the fanciest motel I have stayed in but the people make you feel like you are at home. We have stayed for a weekend and for a couple of weeks. The rooms are always clean and the food is always good. The motel is so centrally located we can stay here and do what ever we want during the day. Cherokee NC is only a short drive, Franklin has a wonderful Fun place the kids love and it is less than an hour away, we love going to Highlands which is less than an hour too, the Dillard House is only 30 minutes, Helen is right over the mountain, Tiger Ga is right there a few minutes from then motel and then south is Clarksville and Cornilla that are only 3o minutes away, Right across the street is Ms Megs Diner that the food is to die for and then going toward Dillard we found a place that serves a killer breakfast. One day I am going to move to this town. WE love it. So much to do when you are there. We stay here - do not have to pay an arm and leg for a clean place to sleep so then we have more money to do things and boy are there a lot of things to do while you are there.

Room Tip: I can not climb steps so we always stay downstairs in the back. You can even hear the roosters in t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Merida, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We were just traveling through the area on our way north and decided to spend the night in Clayton, NC. Our room was comfortable (king bed) and clean except for a sticky substance on the bottom of the hotel amenities book. The hotel staff, especially the front desk personnel, were very friendly and helpful. The pool was very clean. The breakfast was the standard served in hotels and the food was hot and the breakfast area was very clean. I was definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way to hike Tallulah George. I checked out the Days Inn, which was more in the center of town, but located right on the street and next to a loud gas station and a questionable restaurant. So I decided to check out the Quality Inn down the road, which was about 3 mins away but located up on a hill away from the road. I got a much better feeling from the Quality Inn right from the start.

Arrived without a reservation and Sara the manager was super nice and helped me to select the right room for us. We chose a 2-bd room queen on the second floor (room 208) which was clean and roomy. to my surprise, there was even a microwave and a mini-fridge, which was super helpful since it allowed me to freeze my drinks for the hike the next day (froze solid over night) and chill my lunch.

After the super quick check-in, we swam at the pool with some other guests. Then we walked across the street to Mama G's Italian Restaurant, which Sara had recommended. Although I was skeptical, it was packed with people and delicious (see my review on it). Being a Saturday night, they had live music, so we got a seat on the back porch and listened to the Macon Grass Band -- complete with dancing! The music wasn't too loud or too soft, so we were able to eat and talk, then dance after dinner. We ended up staying much later than expected. :)

The bathroom was adequate. I turned on the light and it was dim, but then realized there was a light on a timer that made it very bright, which was great!

The next morning, we woke up and had a wonderful breakfast with eggs, sausage, waffles, pastries, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, and apples. And coffee, OJ, and apple juice, of course. They also encouraged me to fill up my 4 water bottles for the hike from their Crystal springs dispenser (which was great, since I'm not a fan of tap water).

It turns out that it is a family-owned hotel. All in all, it was a wonderful place to stay and I will be back here if I ever need to stay in Clayton again. Thanks so much Sara!!

Room Tip: Room 208 was great -- upstairs yet close to the breakfast room and front desk and pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

After staying at the Days Inn a couple of times, we decided to switch it up and stay here before a day of rafting. The room (unlike the Days Inn) didn't have a musty smell, but the bathroom was unacceptable. The toilet clearly hadn't been cleaned, and it only flushed every other time. Pretty gross.

However, the staff was friendly, and the free breakfast was better than we expected. There were breads/muffins, a waffle maker, cereal, sausage and eggs as well as coffee and fruit juice.

It's right on Highway 441 with easy access to most restaurants and stores, but the cleanliness was questionable at best.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms close to the stairs. This is where the vending machine and ice machine are loca...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Mt. Chalet? Share your experiences!