“Beechwood Inn is a relaxing gettaway with excellent wine, comfortable beds, and lovely people!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beechwood Inn

You added Beechwood Inn to your Saves list
Beechwood Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   220 Beechwood Drive, P.O. Box 429, Clayton, GA 30525   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 7 Clayton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Beechwood Inn was such a treat! I went to Beechwood last October for the Halloween Dinner. There was a special guest speaker who told many spooky Halloween stories during wine thirty as we ate some of the best appetizers I have ever had accompanied by refreshing Beechwood Inn wine. The six course meal that followed was very good as well! The staff was very attentive, the food was beautifully prepared, and the beds were very comfortable with their 600 thread count sheets, I have never been so refreshed in my life! The owners Dave and Gail Darugh made this trip so special by telling me about all of the different activities around Clayton that I cant wait to return to the Beechwood Inn!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I follow tripadvisor reviews pretty religiously, as I travel often for work. Looking forward to a anniversary getaway weekend with my spouse, I had high hopes for the Beechwood Inn after reading multiple reviews. Needless to say, I was really disappointed. We felt like we were an inconvenience to the Innkeepers. They were patronizing, arrogant and condescending. When we informed them that we had made priors arrangements for our anniversary dinner, they seemed to take offense that we would not participate in their overpriced dinner. We had such high hopes for a perfect weekend and we were extremely disappointed when we were met with such a lack of respect. We will not be returning to the Beechwood Inn.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

My Husband and I enjoyed a long-postponed anniversary trip to the mountains of north Georgia, and our stay at the Beechwood Inn was absolutely perfect.. David and Gayle are gracious, caring hosts who made us feel right at home from the moment we arrived. The inn itself is appropriately "mountain rustic" but done in very good taste......and speaking of taste, the breakfasts were delicious! Don and I also enjoyed the outstanding gourmet dinner prepared by David and Gayle on Saturday evening. This is an "extra" that you can reserve in advance and we highly recommend it! Oh, yes....our suite! Very spacious. Very comfortable bed. Fireplace. Mountain view. Need I say more? Oh yes.....Easy drive from Atlanta! We're looking forward to our return, hopefully soon!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

My husband and I and some friends stayed for 2 nights at the Beechwood Inn. We had a wonderful, relaxing stay. David and Gayle are wonderful hosts and went out of their way to make sure everything was great! Our room had a wonderfully comfy bed with great views and a fireplace. It was so relaxing! The food was great and we enjoyed Davids wine knowledge. Highly recommend the Beechwood for a relaxing getaway!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Beechwood Inn one night this weekend. The owners were gracious hosts and were very helpful in accomodating us at the last minute and when we arrived during their dinner hour. Our room was very comfortable and spacious, and we enjoyed it (and the gas fireplace) very much. We also enjoyed breakfast in the morning.

While we are learning that we may not have the personalities best suited for B&B stays, as we are not interested in chatting up other guests, we did like the inn and the hosts very much and would recommend it to other Clayton visitors.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Tequesta, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

As stated, this was just "not our cup of tea". It is a lovely inn. I cannot fault the cleanliness, country decor or landscaping. They were all lovely. I was really expecting (for the price) a super luxurious, romantic Inn experience. We felt like we were staying in my parents house....and I am not saying that the innkeepers were intrusive at all, but just the set up of the experience made me feel that way. I do not see how reviewers consider this "romantic" at all.....I am sure some people like sitting around a tiny livingroom quietly sipping wine & making small talk with strangers but this is not for us. We could not wait to get out of there.

The guest room to me was not luxurious at all. While perfectly kept, it just simply was not my idea of luxury. I am truly not trying to bash what these innkeepers are doing; I am just trying to paint a picture of our experience & that after reading the reviews on here, I expected something much different & more elegant. We spend alot of money over the course of the 2 nights we were there (around $700 I think).

Now the wine paring dinner. That was a very expensive "treat" for us to spend that much money for a meal (I believe it was $95 per person). That's alot no matter where in the world you are dining. I expected alot. I read the reviews. I read the planned menu beforehand. The food quality was "okay"--nothing particularly stood out. The biggest disappointment was the lack of wine discussion & explanation of the food parings. I expected this. I think for this price, there should have been more interaction with the "chef". He mentioned only a couple things about a couple of the wines & absolutely nothing at all about some of them. It was very much like eating dinner at a friend's house that had some cooking ability--but not anywhere near the quality that demands such a price. Very huge disappointment.

Bottom line, I guess we are not "B&B or Inn" folks. We like a little anonymity & no awkward socializing with strangers , especially if its supposed to be a romantic weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Scupper1, Owner/Chef at Beechwood Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2010
I am happy to offer my observations to the authors’ comments. I understand that the Beechwood Inn was not your cup of tea.

Looking at the author’s previous 32 Trip Advisor posts she visits and reviews large resort hotels. The Beechwood Inn is a Bed and Breakfast Inn and has only 8 rooms. It can best be described as rustic elegance in a small mountain town. My wife and I are the owners and operators and go out of our way to provide personal service and a wonderful experience for our guests. Yes, visiting the Beechwood Inn is very personal and you are not anonymous. We make it a point to learn your name and we use it. You will never get an anonymous “it’s my pleasure to serve you.”

The Beechwood Inn is a turn of the century restored building with much attention paid to the authenticity of the restoration. The inn is furnished with many family mementos and antiques. We post accurate photos of our rooms on our website. We don’t pose the inn as a modern glass and marble resort property with heart shaped hot-tubs. Our luxury comes from our personal caring service and high quality amenities. Most guests think the Beechwood Inn has great charm and elegance. We believe that romance can be as simple as a snowy night, cozy room, silky sheets, pillow top mattress, down comforter, view of the mountains, two glasses of Champagne, in room fireplace and the right company. We have enjoyed dozens of marriage proposals on-site, including three that occurred on New Year’s Eve three years ago.

Each evening we offer wine-thirty; we pour complimentary wine and serve appetizers. Guests gather to share experiences and make friends. Some make long-lasting friendships. However, if guests prefer to enjoy wine in the privacy of their guest room, we are happy to deliver it. During chilly weather guests often gather in the living room in front of its massive wood fireplace, and it was 19 degrees the night the author visited. The room is 340 square feet and can accommodate our guests in a manner I would term comfortably. If you are curious you can view a video of our living room that includes live entertainers and 16 seated guests. Just click on our website and then click on videos.

I apologize to the author that you were disappointed with your dinner. Her reviews reflect considerable dining experience. The night the author dined with us we offered a 5 course dinner for $65 per person, plus $20 more if you added 4 different wines paired with the courses. The total invoice for their visit reflects $435.78 and includes lodging, 2 five course dinners, wines, breakfasts, taxes and gratuity for dinner. I agree this is not an inexpensive evening. Unfortunately, in our country sourcing healthy foods from reputable suppliers means increased costs. For instance, our fresh free range organic eggs from a local farmer cost $4 per dozen – but they taste better and are healthier for you. Most of our seasonal produce and products come from local Georgia farms, dairies and orchards, many of which are organic and sustainable. Our proteins do not contain hormones or antibiotics and our beef is grass fed.

As to the lack of sufficient wine discussion, all I can do is scratch my head about this comment. Seriously, I can and usually do talk too much about wine and the foods. Recall, I visited your table several times that evening to ask about dinner and to pour wines. During those visits you can always ask a question about the pairings. That would also have been a great time to let me know if any portion of your meal was not to your liking. As Owner/Chef had you told me about your disappointment at the time I would have happily done something to ensure you had a wonderful dining experience.
Smithtown,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

We spent 2 delightful evenings at the Beechwood Inn and we give a 5 star rating to the Inn and also to the Innkeepers, Gayle & David. It was a tad off the beaten trail on our way from Long Island, New York to Marco Island Florida, but definitely a highlight of our journey and a wonderfully relaxing way to pause during our journey and enjoy some fine wine, great food and interesting conversations with Gayle & David our well traveled and well educated owner Innkeepers. We look forward to returning to this wonderful oasis in the foot hills of Northern Georgia.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Beechwood Inn? Share your experiences!