“A romatic weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Chatsworth B&B and Inns
Crawfordville
“A romatic weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Overlook Cabins for a romantic getaway from the stress of life. I enjoyed every minute of it. The quaint cottage was beautiful and warm. Everything you wish you had as a second home. We cooked our own food one night, the convenience of the furnishings made it more enjoyable. Afterwards we relaxed in the hot tub which I fell in live with. There is something about the song of the katydid that is comforting. The view is breathtaking every time I look over the edge of the mountain at the Inn. The food was spectacular, especially the breakfast with fresh fruit and cream. Alma, what a wonderful lady she is. Wow, she can cook! There are also plenty of things to visit in the surrounding areas we saw the Indian grounds, rode the train, ate at some phenomenal restaurants at the bottom f the mountain and visited the local tavern for a relaxing brew. I was also privy to the Jeep where we got lost in the mountains for a few hours, the adventure will last a lifetime. Robert and Liz made no limitations to insuring a delightful stay with them. We are looking forward to returning very soon.
Adron and Skye

Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, BA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

I am a systems analyst and after several months of long days and many sleepless nights our system change over and project roll-out was finally completed. I realized I was in dire need of some serious rest and relaxation, if only for a few days.
A friend recommended The Overlook Inn - a bed and breakfast that she and her husband had recently visited.
I had never stayed in a B & B and I wasn't too sure I wanted to start now, but she convinced me that it would be just what I needed, so I made the call and booked The Prince Madoc room. I was informed by the reservationist that the private bathroom was two steps across the hall, which didn't bother me at all as long as I didn't have to share it with anyone (hence the term "private bathroom").
When I arrived I was greeted with smiles, warmth (almost as if I were part of the family), and offers to help with my luggage.
From the start the staff of The Overlook Inn was friendly, helpful and more than accommodating and the view from the council room was simply breathtaking!
The Prince Madoc room was warm and inviting and the porch with the rocking chairs was the perfect place to spend some quiet time during the evening.
Breakfast each morning was served in the council room (common area) and I have to say, the homemade granola and the stuffed french toast were absolutely fabulous! I even overslept one morning and they brought me breakfast in bed--wow!--what an excellent surprise!
All in all, I had a wonderful time and I was so pleased to see that somewhere in this world there are still people who understand what the phrase "customer service" means and are happy to help in any way they can.
I would definitely recommend The Overlook Inn to anyone who is looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and rediscover the alure of fresh air, beautiful scenery, and friendly people.

• Liked — Friendly staff, wonderful food
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Longwood Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Inn in October 2006.Our room was beautifully decorated,very clean and private.We were treated like royalty.The staff was very attentive yet respected our need for privacy.The room had no phones or TV to disturb our romantic getaway.We had our very own hot tub which provided an excellent reward after hiking all day.The food was delicious and specially made for our taste.The Inn has a wonderful view of the mountains and the surrounding grounds are abundant with plants,flowers and hiking trails.We fell in love with the area and its close proximity to Fort Mountain.We will return soon with our friends and share this oasis.

Stayed October 2006
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

We arrived at the Overlook Inn to discover that our “private bath” was ACROSS THE HALL! Sure, it was our private bath, and we had a key, but it was not in, or attached to our room. The door from our room, “The Prince Madoc”, opened out into the main hall and you could see straight into to the gathering room. Every time you went to the bathroom you were in full view of whoever was hanging out there.
On their website, The Prince Madoc room boasted an “Eagle Eye view” from our private balcony. Not hardly. The view was of the highway, which was about 30 feet from our deck, and was noisy. Across the road and down was an overlook, but there was no way we could see that view from our room. The private porch was actually a shared porch with a high wall between our chairs and the people’s next door. One of the rocking chairs had bird poop on it, which they cleaned off after I mentioned it, but the bird came back and brought more, so sitting on the “private porch” was out.
The place is noisy. There’s the before-mentioned road noise as well as noise from other guests. We could hear one guest ask another guest to turn down their TV after we had gone to bed. Then, bright and early, just after 6:30 am, the cook (or somebody) arrived to make breakfast. She was talking loudly and then she proceeded to get out the silverware, dishes, glasses, pots, pans, etc. and this went on continuously till breakfast at 8:30. If you’re hoping to sleep in this is beyond frustrating.
The wine and cheese in the afternoon did have nice cheeses and crackers. The two decanters of wine were both red, domestic merlot I was told. I asked about a white wine and was told that I could buy one. Actually, they offered to sell me a bag for $23, as they’re not allowed to sell alcohol. I could have whatever wine I wanted to go in the bag.
We took our cheese and crackers and went out to sit on one of two porch swings in the yard. Not! Many of the slats had rotted away and the rusty nails were exposed, so we couldn’t sit on them.
The breakfast was good and the fireside basket was good.
When you go on vacation and at these rates ($189 a night) you expect a nice relaxing visit. We didn’t get it at the Overlook Inn. We will not go there again.

• Liked — geographic location
  • Disliked — the accommodations were not as advertised; noisy
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chattanooga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

This place really exceeded our expectations. It was one of our most enjoyable getaways we've ever encountered. Beautiful, peaceful and charming. Words can't describe the place. The mountain scenery was breathtaking. A big change from the hassle of the city. We plan to return as soon as time permits. Lance and Tonya

• Liked — Beautiful rooms and good food!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canton, Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2007

My fiance and I stayed at The Overlook Inn Bed and Breakfast for a weekend getaway and it was fantastic. The staff was very friendly and accomodating, the room was beautifully decorated and extremely clean, the breakfast was awesome, and the view was incredible.

I have stayed at other bed and breakfasts before from as far away as London and Paris. And I must say that this bed and breakfast is my favorite.

They offer tea time, wine and hour devours in the evening, and on Saturday night a candle light dessert (we had Butterfinger Cheesecake, yummy).

I would definitely recommend The Overlook Inn for a romantic getaway. It's very private and you can get breakfast in bed!

The only thing that I must say is you will have to drive a little bit of a distance for lunch and dinner . Chatsworth (about 9 miles away) offers a variety of fast food but lacks in any dine in restaurants. Ellijay (17 miles) is about the same as Chatsworth unfortunately. But if your willing to drive about 30 minutes you can go into Dalton and they have some restaurants or in th other direction drive past Ellijay and you will find some too.

All in all a great place to stay!

• Liked — All of it!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

My husband and I stayed at The Overlook Inn twice in 2004 when Alma was the innkeeper. Alma was by far the most hospitable, sweet and charming woman we have ever met. Alma retired in February 2006 and was replaced by a team of locales who don't understand the first thing about good service. Our in-room hot tub was not functioning during our recent stay and we were relocated to a "wilderness cabin" about 2 miles down the road. We had already paid for a fireside basket which comes delivered to the room. Instead, we were told to cook the chicken and trout ourselves on our stove in the cabin. We ended up checking out early when the power in our cabin went out (there was no bad weather in the area, it just went out!)

The views from the Overlook Inn are magnificent and breakfast is decent (although a fall from grace from when Alma was cooking her homemade treats). The Overlook Inn is not what it used to be when Alma was taking care of it, and the lack of service is showing badly. We don't intend to go back and recommend spending your money elsewhere to enjoy the beautiful Georgia mountains.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The service
  • Tips/Secrets — Pass on this one
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Overlook Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!