“Met my expectations, would stay here again” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chamblee
ectraveler123
“Met my expectations, would stay here again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

- My husband and I stayed in a Queen studio for the weekend. The room was spacious and clean.
- The staff was extremely warm, welcoming and professional.
- Complimentary breakfast was good - coffee/tea, juice, standard eggs, potatoes, buscuits, cereal and belgain waffle station. No meat though.
- Our door did get stuck a few times and they offered to move us to a new room but we didn't feel like it.
- We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

The rooms are old and need some upgrades. I stayed there for a week and the rooms had a stale water smell everyday after the first day.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Western North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

Booked the Marriott web site and asked for a quiet room. Was told when we checked we had a quiet room, so--ignorantly--I didn't pay much attention unloading. There are plenty of rooms away from the highway at this property, but we were put in the one evidently closest to I-285, where the roar of traffic and the shifting of tractor-trailer gears intruded all night.

• Liked — Price, compared to others in the same general area; interesting ethnic restaurants nearby
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mobile, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Earlier I wrote a review about our stay over Christmas of 2007. I changed the way our room was booked, using my husband's VIP status to see if our visit would be improved upon. It did to an extent, but it was still more than a bit disappointing. Here is the result of our stay:

Check-in is at 3:00 PM and most hotels will allow an early check-in if the room is available. We arrived about 2:10 PM and was told that we had to come back. Fine. That wasn't a real problem because of course the rule is - after all - 3:00, but it would've been nice if they had tried to accommodate us.

Like before, we had requested a ground floor room. I also requested extra pillows and towels. Once again, this is a non-smoking facility so you cannot ask for a non-smoking room. We brought pets, so that was listed on our reservation as well.

When we came back later on, they gave us our room card keys and we went to check out the room. We decided that we'd better check first before we unloaded.

The room was magnificent! It was clean, odor free and had extra pillows and towels just like we requested. They had the air on for us so it would be nice and cool (it was nearly 100° outside) and we were very impressed.

Because we'd been out most of the day (it was some hours before we came back to check-in) I immediately needed to use the restroom. When I went to flush to toilet, nothing. It wouldn't flush. I played around with it and still nothing. My husband came in to look at it and he discovered that the handle was actually broken.

Now at first glance, this seems like a rather minor issue. However after thinking about it for a moment, one has to wonder how a broken toilet could be missed. Okay so a housekeeper enters the room and cleans it. She gets to the toilet and scrubs it out. She knows that you just don't leave the cleanser in the toilet, right? You have to flush the toilet in order to rinse the cleaner out. So then how is it that the toilet is broken and not fixed? There is only one solution: The toilet was NEVER cleaned! That is a rather nasty revelation, is it not?

I didn't actually think of this right away however. Instead after realizing the toilet was broken, I called the front desk to report it. They said that due to the holiday (this was July 4th), maintenance was not there so we'd be switched to another room.

Naturally our extra towels and pillows were not in the new room, which isn't really a fault of theirs. I could've either taken the ones in the first room to the second, or just asked for more. The problem though was that once again, we were in a grimy room with another stale smell. Granted the stench wasn't nearly as bad as our room over Christmas, but it was musty and stale all the same.

We were greeted by a HUGE palmetto (roach) bug right inside the front door. Now this IS the south after all and dinosaur roaches cannot be helped. Still though, to see one the moment you step into your room is a serious turn off. Then there was one right outside the door as well, so that's two!

When I went to get ready for bed, I noticed something I'd not noticed earlier either. There was toothpaste in the sink, which means this room wasn't cleaned all that well either. Not to mention, the glass sitting next to the sink didn't have a cover and had a small amount of standing water in it. Did this mean that someone had used the glass? Since there was no cover, how could I know for sure?

Then there was the price for the dogs. They've gone up. It's now $100 period. If you're planning on staying for a few days, that's not so bad. However we were only there overnight and that's VERY STEEP, especially since the room is actually less than that.

This is a minor issue, but a serious annoyance for me. You see, I am picky when it comes to coffee. I don't like the stuff they try to say is coffee that hotels leave in the room for you. I prefer freshly ground and I always bring my own. All I need is a pot to brew it in and something to brew it with, like a filter. I can bring my own, but this presents a problem that I always run into... What size and shape filter should I bring? Especially if I'm traveling a long distance and stop at a different hotel each night. Some have 4 cup coffee makers, some have 12 cup makers. Some have round filter chambers, some have cone filter chambers. If I want to be prepared, then I would need four different types of filters! That would be 4 c. round, 4 c. cone, 12 c. round, 12 c. cone. Who in their right mind would do something like this?

So this hotel gives you a large coffee pot, which is a good thing. The problem though is that they do NOT give you a coffee filter and have none available. That seems like a minor issue; just bring your own. However as just mentioned how am I to know what kind of filter to bring? The round filters OR cone shaped filters? The most common are of course the round filters. But NOOOOO they use the cone shaped ones! I would have to buy a whole box of filters just to use it one time! It would make much more sense to provide us with the actual filters, or make sure all their pots are round.

Again, most people wouldn't find this a problem but I sure did.

In the end, we've elected not to stay here again. I'm also going to write Marriott and let them know about this. It's a shame that it's really a good chain, but this one is just not up to par.

I must however leave with this one compliment... The breakfast is still amazing! It's a hot breakfast, as I mentioned in my previous review, with eggs, sausage or bacon, waffles, biscuits, tortillas or whatever. It has a delicious meal for you every morning. A simple continental just isn't the same as this feast.

• Liked — Location, delicious breakfast, allowed my pets.
  • Disliked — Cost of pets, the fact that the rooms weren't cleaned, smell of room.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

The staff at this property was very nice. The hotel room is sort of outdated but it was very clean. For the price of the hotel, location and space I felt like it was a good value and I would stay here again.

• Liked — It had a basketball court
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Marino, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

This Residence Inn is a bit old, I suspect. Things needs fixing. I had a handicapped room. Its bathroom had two drains in the floor, but way too much of the shower water rolled over to the door to the bedroom, not toward the drains. It took a bathmat to soak it all up. I asked twice on a Sunday for a bar of soap. They couldn't find one but twice said they would get one. It never happened. Their shuttle van works only M-F. Twice my room key would not work. I was in the handicapped room because they could not get one room open at all. I had to slam my door to get it to close -- I'm sure my neighbors did not like that. Housekeeping did not replace the "goodies" most days. Bed-making was sloppy.

• Liked — location near my friend's house
  • Disliked — attitude of a couple of employees
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

Highly undesirable.

Did not have time to research hotel while on the phone with an agent to book a room for work. Trusted the Marriott name and booked a reservation. Stay at mostly Marriott's and Hilton's twice a week. This "hotel" was more like a dingy apartment. Old, scratched furniture. Old wall paper. Nothing 3-star about it. Took several attempts to get online. Outside entrances.

If my name was Marriott, I would completely distance myself from this hotel. Every time I used my room key with the Marriott logo on it, I felt like I was in a weird dream because my room was decidely un-Marriott.

I agree with a previous poster -- at least the bed was comfortable. When a room opened up at another Marriott property, I switched.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable.
  • Disliked — Everything but the bed.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn Atlanta Perimeter/Dunwoody? Share your experiences!