“It has everything!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chamblee
San Rafael, Ca.
“It has everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was in Dunwoody for a funeral so had no expections as to lodging. Arrangements were made for family to stay at this property. Wow, what a wonderful surprise. The room i had was a suite with a king bed on the first floor and a loft with a king on the send floor. The floor plan so well thought out and the amenities were the right type and located just in the right spot where they are most convient. The rooms and the public areas were in tiptop shape. The full hot breakfast was fresh, diversified, and very good. All the staff were a pleasure to be around. They were just a delight. My hats off to the management for having a consistant, well managed product.

Room Tip: Second floor suites are in the rear of the property is the best location
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This Residence Inn is like most others I've stayed in, except that our 2 bedroom had a loft as the second bedroom. The kids love the loft, but note that it is not walled off so whoever is sleeping in it may be woken at night by noises in the kitchen or living room area. 2 bedroom also had a wood burning fireplace. The rooms could use updating, particularly the carpet, but were clean. The beds were average, pillows small and thin, shower had good pressure and was adjustable, and we appreciate the full kitchen. Wi-fi in room worked fine. The business center is one computer that was out of order, but the front desk helped us get our boarding passes printed. The room included hot breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage patties, potatoes and cereal/muffins - fine for free breakfast, but not as good as most restaurants. The location is quiet, and you have to drive a short distance across the Interstate for groceries and a few restaurants, then will need to go a few miles further for much of a selection.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The long term stay hotel was once a new concept, but that was a very long time ago. I think it fair to say that the genre has gone pretty much as far as it can go, and the reality is that these hotels are all pretty much the same - you know what you are getting - and perhaps that "familiarity" is what some travelers are looking for in a long stay hotel. So if that truly is what you want, you will find it here, only the facility feels relatively new and so is a bit less worn them lost.

The problem is that frequently you are not staying at a place like this for a long stay, just for a few nights, and if that is the case a place like this is just like any other place like this. You could be anywhere, and for that reason why stay here?

So for the lifer.... For a value long term stay hotel where you want a real kitchen and a larger living area then the typical hotel room, this is pretty much what you would expect. If you are looking for amenities, boutique, and some personality and maybe even fun, this is definitely not the place for you.

Here are a few other points. You absolutely positively need a car.There is little to nothing within a close walk. A long block or so away are a Tex Mex Restaurant, a Bowling Alley and an Italian Restaurant, and malls are near by but you need a car.

The breakfast is predictable and slightly better then a typical muffin in a bag, but again what you would expect in a long residence places of this sort. In all fairness they even have some healthy offerings including fresh fruit, yoghurt, oatmeal as well as the typical sweet muffin and waffle machine.

So with this hotel and so many exactly like it, you know what you are getting - it is predictable, but dull. Fine for a stay if you must, but with so many Hotels in Atlanta that have more interesting offerings, the chances are that you are considering being there either because you have family or business near by. If this is the case, then by all means book here, but if you have a choice of location, there is really not much here to distinguish it from any number of hotels just like it all over the area.

Room Tip: The "penthouse" which is sold as a 2 bedroom is really a 1 bedroom (with flimsy door) and...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed here for 4 weeks on a business trip. Front desk staff is great, apart from when it comes to mail. My name is not exactly standard, so their system has a different spelling to what is in my passport... I had to rescue mail from being sent back twice... The lady on the desk just made a basic enquiry on their system and both times wrote not in hotel and put it in the return pile... good thing I checked :). Breakfast was great, busy over the weekends, but nice. Always fresh.

Would I recommend staying here? You bet... Value for money, nice staff, nice rooms. I had a studio for a week and a 2 bed unit for 3 weeks. Both well kept and nice to stay in.

Stayed December 2012
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

On a recent trip to Atlanta we stayed at this property...
My family and I had a GREAT trip to the area
The hotel staff was great!!!
Carolyn (???) at the desk was wonderful...
She gave us all the information we needed on how to get around in Atlanta
Mark the night auditor was very friendly also

The breakfast was Ok...They could have had more offerings but we didnt choose this property for the free breakfast...It was enough for us to grab and go.

Overall it was a great trip and we will return to the area!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Naperville, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Let me preface my statement by saying I'm a frequent traveler (80%) and a Marriott Rewards Gold Member so I think my expectations are based on experience and not emotion.

My family and I recently relocated from Naperville, IL to John's Creek, GA however during the transition we needed temporary housing for 30 days until we could move into our new home. Our stay began at the Alpharetta Windward Residence Inn but since we are a family of four the room was a little small and therefore we moved to the Residence Inn Dunwoody/Perimeter based on the bi-level floor plan. I will add the Alpharetta Windward Residence Inn was incredible! The absolute opposite from the Dunwoody/Perimeter location.

I suppose I should've known something was terribly wrong when I inquired of Carolyn (front desk) regarding the surrounding area being fairly safe since I had quite a few personal belongings in my SUV that couldn't fit in the room. Her response was "well, it is Atlanta and Atlanta is SHADY". When I asked to see the room before we checked in she took my drivers license and said that she wasnt sure if I would steal her TV's while looking at the room and therefore she needed my ID. OK, so while that was obviously rude one might understand the rationale even if the explanation was in poor taste and offensive. Being the Marriott loyalist that I WAS (prior to this stay) I brushed it aside and looked at the room. Despite the grounds being in pretty poor shape the room was fairly spacious and that was the most important thing. Making assumptions regarding the upkeep, service, etc.

Well....here goes. Second night in a roach is crawling near the door and I'm thinking maybe it just came in under the crack. I dispose of it quickly and the family retires for the evening. The following day I'm working in the room when housekeeping stops by - the young lady literally changed the towels, pulled the covers up on the bed DID NOT MAKE THE BED and changed the garbage. THEN LEFT! I thought surely she would return to vacuum, clean the bathrooms, finish making the bed, etc. NOPE! Never returned. This went on for a couple of days before I complained and someone different cleaned the room. OK, isolated incident right? WRONG! The next morning we not only have a roach crawling in the KITCHEN but there is a knocking on the wall. Again, I bring the issue to the front desk and I'm told its a woodpecker. I'm not making this up. Well Woody was active all day and all night for my 12 day stay which I cut short. I moved to the Staybridge Suites in Alpharetta. All in all we had to deal with roaches 3 of the 12 days which means there were probably more we just didn't see, terrible housekeeping (almost every time it was cleaned it had to be requested!), food that ran out at the buffet, terrible attitudes from many of the staff (definitely not all of them were bad). The African American gentleman at the front desk was very helpful as was one other lady whose name I wish I had taken down. She was shorter, short natural hair style (description is for the Marriott Management to help identify the GOOD STAFF).

The area (Sandy Springs is a great location) but this hotel should be closed. It's not fit for guests, prisoners, or containment.

If you stay in building 6 bring bug spray and cleaning supplies!

Room Tip: Trust the reviews and make no assumptions based on brand/chain! Avoid building 6 and the woodpecker...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Imlay City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This Residence Inn is in an upscale area of Metro Atlanta at the border between Dunwoody and Chamblee. You are only minutes away from the Perimeter Mall shopping area which has just about everything from Macy's to Wal-Mart, and restaurants galore. Our king studio suite was just as pictured on Marriott website, and had all the amenities of a studio apartment. Beds were comfortable, had feather pillows. Lots of storage and it was nice to have a full size refrigerator. Breakfast varied from day to day which was nice although they could have offered more fresh fruit. We stayed for 5 nights and felt like home. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We did have one day where housekeeping forgot to clean our room, but the front desk staff brought us the items we needed. It's well known that traffic in Atlanta is terrible, but we found that it was faster and less congested to take Peachtree Rd/St into downtown instead of the expressway. Overall, a great stay!

Room Tip: Buildings 1, 2, 17, & 18 are closest to the Gatehouse (and the road). You have to use stairs for...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Atlanta Perimeter/Dunwoody? Share your experiences!