“I Couldn't Get Past the Smell of Days Old Seafood.” 1 of 5 stars

823 Joe Franks Harris Parkway, Cartersville, GA
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Asian
Cartersville, Georgia
“I Couldn't Get Past the Smell of Days Old Seafood.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have attempted to eat at Cartersville's newest Asian restaurant on three occasions. My first trip there was with a friend. Having received a coupon in the mail, we thought we would try it out. We were surprised when we were told that the coupon was for the previous month, even though it had only just been delivered in the mail. Unprepared to pay for what we felt was an expensive Chinese buffet, we opted to eat at a competitor. My next trip there was as the guest of friends who wanted to give it a try. Located inside an old Ryan's restaurant, the Hibachi Grill was large and tastefully decorated. There were six food stations, however most of them contained lots of what I would call *filler food.* There were plentiful portions of things like mac n cheese, fried potatoes in various forms, rolls and garlic bread, hot dogs, heavily breaded chicken tenders, etc, One station had a salad bar, and one did have oysters, shrimp and odds and ends as far as seafood goes. There were very few choices of Asian dishes, and of course plenty of steamed or fried rice. The hibachi service was adequate, and probably the best part of the meal. The sushi was more generic buffet fare, and the dessert bar contained more inexpensive choices like jello, tiny squares of cake, cookies, etc. Drinks were NOT included in the price, and that made this *Chinese Buffet* quite a bit higher than the local competitors. Because I got another coupon for a senior citizen special, and because I was going to be in the area, I thought I would try it one more time. When I walked in, I thought I had entered the back door of a seafood market. The stench of old fish was overwhelming (their sushi bar is by the entry). I questioned whether or not I would be able to handle the aroma long enough to eat. When I presented my coupon (again with no expiration date), I was told it was a special for April and May, even though it was well into June, and I had again just received it. I asked what the senior citizen price was, and was told only that they would not charge me sales tax on their regular price. By then I was becoming nauseous from the dank seafood smell, and opted to leave. I went back to Ming Moon, who had recently added their own hibachi bar, and was well pleased with the service, the quality and taste of their food, and the atmosphere, which was aroma free. And my drink was included, with a price that was quite a bit lower than the Hibachi Grill. Three strikes and this place was out for me. My fortune cookie says I bet it will close down before long.

• Visited June 2013