“Mod and very clean, but poor designs” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Cartersville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Walton, Kentucky
“Mod and very clean, but poor designs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My son and I tagged along on my husband's business trip to Cartersville, GA. Most of his co-workers were staying at the new Hilton Garden Inn, but we chose the Fairfield Inn because they offered us a king bed and the Hilton offered 2 queens. When you're sharing a bed with a 2 year old, the queen bed is a deal breaker.

The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous for a budget hotel. Very bright and clean. The rooms are also very clean, if somewhat small.

The continental breakfast is great. Jimmy Dean sandwiches, a waffle maker and individual milk jugs. Even chocolate! A great selection of dry cereals and pastries. Every morning the lady working the breakfast would bring out a highchair for my son and offer him a pretty disposable bib. (which he would promptly rip off)

Now to the poor design part. Each room is equipped with one of those under the window A/C units that you find in most budget hotels. In most of the other hotels, you switch it on, and it runs constantly and eventually becomes white noise to your ears. Wanting to "go green", this hotel has hooked the unit up to a wall thermostat. The unit will run for 5 minutes and then shut off for 15. Yes...I timed this on a sleepless night. It is very loud and very annoying. My husband and son were not bothered by this, but they sleep like the dead. Previous reviews have mentioned this....so Heed Our Warning. If you are a light sleeper, do not stay here. I did not have a decent nights sleep the entire time we were here.

Also mentioned in a previous review is the location of the towels in the bathroom. Make sure you lay one on the sink so you don't have to get out and reach around the wall.

There were also some minor housekeeping issues that were handled by the front desk staff. She took our half-empty shampoo and conditioner bottles but did not leave new ones. She also did not empty our garbage cans. Not good when you have dirty diapers in there.

The location of the hotel is right off the interstate, but a bit far from eating and shopping in Cartersville. The only restaurant in walking distance is McDonald's. All other restaurants are close...but not walking distance.

One other pet peeve of mine is about Marriott hotels in general. Every time I make a reservation, I request foam pillows and a feather free room. NOT ONCE has that ever been ready upon my arrival. I always have to call and ask. Not a huge deal, but why offer that on the reservation page if you are not prepared to honor it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

It's rare for me to plan a trip without booking a hotel, but leaving late after work for a short trip to Atlanta, we didn't know where we would be when we felt like stopping. We planned to find a Choice hotel around because we have had luck with them in the past. We stopped at a few to ask about rates, and realized that our past luck was just that. It seems this hotel chain is pretty inconsistent when it comes to cleanliness and service. And I was very surprised at how high the rates were given the location.

On down the road we saw the sign for the Fairfield Inn. I figured the rates would be higher there...nope. Even though I haden't booked in advance and there was a line of people at the font desk needing rooms, the attendant was cheerful and pleasant. The rate was reasonable compared to the other quotes we'd gotten that night. The hotel looked new and the lobby was very clean and well decorated, as was the room. We really just needed a place to bed down for the night but I will choose Fairfield and other Marriott hotels in the future for longer stays.

Also...though we didn't use the exercise room, indoor pool, or hot tub. We did have a peek at them and they all looked very nice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Some of my co-workers said they had issues with getting keys to each other's rooms, but that could've been because we all had the same info in our booking. I didn't have this problem, but just thought I'd share to be fair. This is a new hotel, the rooms and bathrooms are ultra-modern which I like, and so clean which I love! I didn't have the breakfast, but it seemed typical Fairfield Inn. There's a McDonalds nearby, but also there's this place called Martin's whichis know for its biscuits - very cheap if you want a breakfast alternate. Cartersville doesn't have much going on, so odds are if you're staying there you're visiting someone or on business. It is not so rural that there aren't places to eat. I didn't go hungry and I was on a very restricted diet so you'll do very well. There's a Hilton Garden Inn a few miles down, but I highly doubt it would be as 'hip' as this hotel. I believe you will enjoy this Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stopped here on our way back from Disney. Usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Cartersville but wanted to try something new. The hotel is very trendy and very clean (just opened a few months ago). We did not use the pool but the other reviewers are right about it being small. Breakfast has all you'd want from a continental breakfast. The AC problem in the rooms was solved for us by keeping the fan on the unit running all night. Overall the hotel is good stop over however at $114 a night it's a little steeper than the Hampton so we'll probably go back there next time. I'd recommend this as long as your okay with the price.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Cartersville, Ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

My husband and I wanted a brief romantic getaway. We chose this hotel based on convenience, amenities and service. We were not disappointed. We were greeted with prompt courteous service. We mentioned we were there for a romantic getaway. They suggested a late late night swim in the indoor pool and spa. ( most of the hotels we have stayed at forbid any use of the pool after hours) They even turned onto the patio lights to set the mood. We chose the standard room with a king bed. The room was a little small for the price but very clean. A bountiful, free continential breakfast was served each morning. The hotel was very clean. The staff was very courteous. They made us feel very special.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I agreed with almost everything that a few other reviewers said about this hotel. The staff here is absolutely charming and tries everything to help. The breakfast is simple but has all a traveler needs and they are tasty. The pool is small but very clean. In fact, everything is super clean and I appreciate the cleaning lady left me a nice note thanking me for staying - a nice touch.

The problems with this hotel is the design. Bath towels are placed so far away from the shower that after the shower, one has to climb out of the tub and walk around a wall to get a towel. The AC unit is loud and runs on and off constantly. Worse, it blows right onto half of the bed and makes my lower body cold all night long.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Waycross, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I have to agree with whoever wrote "still sleepy." I really, really loved the room--it was large (2 full beds and a pull-out sofa), modern, and groovy--it was so cool that my nine year old kept saying "This is so modern. I'd like to live here." I loved the lobby, I liked the pool (small), I loved the hottub and the paatio--but the fact remains that I COULD NOT SLEEP. I heard every door on the hall close, and I was awakened very early as a result--not the best thing when you are facing a ten hour drive! The staff was nice; the rooms were clean; the breakfast was great, but we will never stay here again due to the door noise.

Note: The hair dryer is in a bag in the closet, which, in our room, was far from the bathroom, so we hunted a while--

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Marriott? Share your experiences!