“What a beautiful resort area” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7000 Lanier Islands Pkwy, Buford, GA 30518   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 10 hotels in Buford
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“What a beautiful resort area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Legacy Lodge is beautiful! I was in town to see the Christmas Lights and was very impressed with the lodge. The front desk staff were very friendly and checking in and checking out did not take long at all. The valet/bellman were very nice as well. There are two restaurants. I ate dinner at Bullfrogs(located on level 1) and it was excellent. I ate breakfast, which was a buffet at Windows and it was great. I stayed on the 2nd floor and had a beautiful lake view. The bathroom looked as if it had just been renovated. I could be wrong but the tile, shower hardware, etc… all looked new. I had read other reviews about the television stations be blurry. I DID NOT have a problem at all with it being blurry. There were two beds in my room. I would say the beds/bedding were average. It states on their website Serta pillow top mattresses and High-thread count linens. Mine must have been missing. The outdoor pool is under construction but it clearly states that on their website. I reserved a package which included pony rides and a wrist band for carnival rides. The carnival rides were fun for the children but the ponies had already packed up for the night when I arrived. I didn't address it with the hotel but feel sure if I had they would have given me credit for that. I would definitely stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: Lake View is beautiful!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We were so happy to read your wonderful review of Lake Lanier Islands Resort during your stay with us during the Magical Nights of Lights. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words about our staff. It is our hope that you will plan a return trip back soon.

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Albany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Spent one night for pleasure after Christmas. Bed was softly firm, view of lake just out back door, staff took care of you from the moment you arrived. We were able to see the awesome Christmas tour of lights that was included in our room rate. But they will eat you up with taxes and resort charges, even $10 for entering the place. Dinner buffett wasn't that great with limited choices, especially for a diabetic. Not being a boater, I don't think we would return but glad we went for the light show.

Room Tip: All rooms might have a view of the lake- just make sure.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. Thank you for your kind words about your tour through The Magical Nights of Lights. We do hope that you will plan a return visit this summer so that you and your family can enjoy LanierWorld.
ATL, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

This was our annual Christmas trip (third year) to visit Lake Lanier and the Magical Night of Lights. Thankfully the rain stopped so we could enjoy the carnival/pony rides in addition to seeing all the light displays....the weather had warmed up so we were thrilled. I especially enjoyed the new Live Nativity scene that was added to the "Magical Light" attraction. After enjoying the carnival rides, we treated ourselves to some snacks.....caramel apple was delicious, the pizza was fresh/hot, the burger was big/juicy, the popcorn was fresh/tasty, and my husband tried the cinnamon glazed cashews which he enjoyed.....the prices were about the same as buying snacks at the movie theater. Normally we'd previously visited on New Year's Eve (less crowded) but this year we decied to go on Dec. 21...more people in wet weather = more foot traffic to the restroom = needed more attention - but we survived and it didn't ruin our visit. We stayed at the Legacy Lodge for a night and when we arrived back, parking was a bit challenging with other people being there for other functions vs. actual guests with room reservations. I purhased the holiday package so my son could have "Breakfast with Santa"; I assumed Santa would be at the Windows Legacy Lodge Restaurant in the morning when we arrived to eat at 9am. The communication at check-in as well as on my reservation did not indicate Santa would be in another room for the breakfast. So, as we were eating our breakfast at Windows, thankfully I heard the waitress tell someone else that Santa was actually in another room for the breakfast down the hall and around the corner. We finished our meal and eventually found the room with Santa, since we'd already eaten, my son just wanted to see/speak to Santa -- so it worked out. Next time I'll know what to expect.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit at the Lodge, as well as the Magical Night of Lights. We apologize for any Santa location confusion and we hope that our communication is better on your next trip!
Ooltewah, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I were looking for somewhere close and nice. It was out first time @ lake lanier but we where planning a return visit before we even left. We will b back with the kids this summer. Lots of things to do and great staff!!!

Room Tip: We stay at the villa good rate which it had a hot tub but nice and private
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Lake Lanier Islands Resort! We look forward to seeing you and your family this summer for LanierWorld!
Wexford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My staff at Legacy Lodge was an excellent experience. The staff was very friendly and quick
to answer questions or meet my needs. The Christmas lights were an added, unexpected
delight. I will be back again next year for a conference.

Room Tip: Had a view of the lake. Room was very nice. Cleaning staff was very thorough.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
We are delighted to hear that your recent stay here with us at Lake Lanier Islands Resort was excellent and that you enjoyed Magical Nights of Lights. Your wonderful comments regarding our staff are much appreciated and we are proud to pass them along. We look forward to seeing you next year for your upcoming conference!
Dudley, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in one of the King Villas,,,beautiful sunrise over the lake,,,great room with a gas log fireplace...rented a golf cart to tour the Christmas Lights on the islands,,,they were beautiful.....staff was very friendly.....just a short drive to the mall of Georgia and Buford for some Christmas shopping and some wonderful food......would definitely return, maybe to stay in the lodge next time....think my grand kids would also enjoy....

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your most recent stay with us here at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. Your kind words are most appreciated and we look forward to your next visit here with us. Our new pool at the Lodge will be open in the spring: a perfect Spring Break trip for the grandkids!
Newborn, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

It is a shame that this is so poorly run, because it is a very beautiful property. However, we went through so much aggravation, I will never go again and my husband's group has decided not to hold their conference there. I have done a lot of reviews and I am overwhelmingly positive on them, but this was just a bad experience with staff all the way around. I will also add that I made a point of being courteous and polite when I addressed each of these issues. Here is the sequence of events:
We were with a group and were told by the group we should not have to pay the resort fee. Upon check in, the agent said a resort fee would be added, so we told her our group was not supposed to have to pay that. She checked and said we were correct and gave us our room key. Our event was to be at another building about ten minutes away and the information book in room said complimentary transportation to all resort locations was included and showed a number to call; when I called the number, she said no it was not available unless our group set it up. Then she checked and said no, our group had not set it up. Then someone called later and said transportation would be provided.

After the event, it was almost midnight and we were concerned about another member of our group driving home, so we needed to add an additional room. The front desk woman said they did have a room available but that we could not have it at our group rate. We said we still wanted the room and it took her at least 20 minutes with one error after another (saying our card was refused, then saying no it was working, etc) until she finally had it set up.

The next morning, we were going to check out from our room and noticed that the resort fee was back on our room, so I called the front desk to see why it was added back on. The phone rang and rang and rang until someone finally answered and said if we came down that they would remove the charge and that there was no line. If there was no line, why did it take so long to answer the phone?? So, we go to the front desk and she said she would remove the charge. We asked her that if the additional room was available last night, why weren't we able to get our group rate. So she called the manager over and they said they would get all of that corrected and then said they were printing our corrected bills out. We just wanted to get out of there, so when they handed us the "corrected" bill, I just looked to be sure they were the same rate for both rooms and stuck it in my purse and we left.

When I got home I went to file them and saw that the resort charges were STILL on both bills. I called the lodge and asked to speak to a manager and she transferred me to human resources! So I called back and when the same girl answered, I told her I needed to speak to a manager but I had been transferred to human resources. She sounded exasperated and asked "well what kind of manager do you want?" I said I wanted to speak to the manager of the lodge about incorrect charges on our room. She transferred me again and I asked the lady who answered if she was the manager, she was not, so she put me on hold and the manager finally came on.

I went over all of it and she said she didn't know if they could remove the resort fee but would find out the next day and call me back. Guess, what? She never called me back. I am just done dealing with them, but I cannot believe they would give us so much grief about removing this $12 something fee and risk losing a customer. It is just the principle of the thing to me. We did absolutely nothing but spend the night, we used absolutely no resort activities and our group spent a fortune on the event hosted there. We are talking about hundreds of people! So not only have they angered me enough to never go again, they have made the group decide not to host their upcoming meeting there.

If these fancy places want additional resort fees, then just add it to the rate and quit nickel and diming people to death when they come in. The last place I paid a resort fee to at least had complimentary bottles of water in the room! This place didn't provide that or anything else I wouldn't get at any other hotel!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
First of all, thanks for taking the time to review the property and let us know of your issues. Your review and experience has been reviewed by management and will help us to improve our communication process in the future.

Been to Legacy Lodge & Conference Center? Share your experiences!