“Outdated” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Buford
Marbury, Alabama
“Outdated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Don't bother booking on-line.... They had NO idea i was coming! Unfortunately for me they had plenty of rooms available. For the price I paid I could had stayed elsewhere cheaper. The room itself was clean, but outdated. No vending available and had to pay for ice!! No fridge or microwave. The bed was comfortable. No breakfast to speak of. You can find a more reasonably priced room in the area..

Room Tip: Best advice ? Just avoid
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Had I seen the below reviews before I booked into this place, I never would have stayed there! One review is headlined “dreadful”. Mine is headlined "disgusting” which I believe is much closer to the mark. Also, when reading my comments, bear in mind they relate to our stay in June, 2012…..a full six months in one case and a full 10 months after management says they fixed the problems. Not so at all!

My wife & I attended a family wedding in Lawrenceville, Ga. and needed to be in a motel on 6/29 & 30. We originally booked into Marriott but had to change when we were told they could only accommodate us for the first night but not the second (who wants to have to move to another hotel after a wedding all day?) So, having stayed at ABVI many times in the past, we chose it again. Luckily, the experiences we’ve had with ABVI in other states many times belies the experience we had at this one!

As we drove up to the front office, it was immediately evident the parking lot had surely seen better days, what with grass growing out of the cracks in the asphalt which sorely needed re-paving! As I checked us in at the front desk, their operation was reminiscent of movies I’ve seen of seedy hotels where one pays by the hour for the “enjoyment” of a prostitute. Yes, a bit taken aback, but we pressed on, thinking it really can’t be that bad! But it was!! Here we were, on the second leg of a 600 miles trip; having just driven almost 300 miles to this destination. As we opened our motel room door, we simultaneously exclaimed……”Oh, my God”…….as we viewed what lay before our eyes……a seedy looking room that appeared to have been somewhat recently painted. However whoever did the job either ran out of paint or decided to stop when he got near the bottom of each wall. There also was no refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot or ironing board & iron (staples in most other places).

In turning down the bed linens, we found the pillows were dirty and (there is no other way to describe it) the sheets were soiled with body fluids. The room itself was moldy, badly painted and the bathtub was dirty. The bathroom itself would have been crowded with more than one person in it at a time. If one wanted ice, you had to buy it at 25 cents per supply; so if you didn’t have change, you’re out of luck. Had we not been so tired, we would’ve surely gone elsewhere. Actually, the night before we stayed at another ABVI in Ashburn for about $46 and that was such a pleasant experience, it helped calm us when we encountered this atrocity we'd paid $67.80 a night for.

On the plus side, the A/C worked ok for which we were thankful, given the triple digits temperatures that weekend. We were given, upon request, brand new pillows and the use of their ironing board & iron. They also were very accommodating in taking care of a package I had delivered for my stay there. Like the other complaints herein, their “breakfast” was a joke.

My opinion is that this place should be shut down for two big reasons. The first is that someone at the health department must be on the take to allow these people to operate any motel if this is the way they operate (as seems to be the case given complaints of others in earlier visits) and secondly, there is so much that must be done to make this place presentable (from the parking lot on up to the quality of the rooms). This place is giving America's Best Value Inns a big black eye..which is a shame because they otherwise are a great chain, in our experience! I have also written to the ABVI C-O-B in case someone is hiding this from him!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
abvibufordga, Webmaster at Americas Best Value Inn-Buford/Mall of Georgia, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn-Buford/Mall of Georgia for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the possibility of arranging the amenities like no refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot or ironing board & iron in some of the rooms.

Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

I have never taken the time to document a hotel stay, but this was terrible. No working air controls, no remote - asked for replacement - got another broken one, nasty floors, just not a nice place. I complained to the ABVI chain management directly upon returning home. They have been lax about getting me a response from the hotel . WE GOT NO SLEEP for two nights bec it was 35 degrees and the heat either blew on high or the ac on freezing. We had to get up every two ours to switch between hot and cold. THe FREE BUFFET was TWO MUFFINs IN A PLASTIC BAG> Gross !!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS> Pay extra if you have to !!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

• The registration person received additional training in how to deal with registration problems.

• Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees. They also were instructed to see to it that rooms were properly equip before being released as ready for occupancy.

• I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Americas Best Value Inn-Buford/Mall of Georgia. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Winter Haven, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

5 couples booked for 2 nights, only 2 stayed. Bugs on floor and walls of room, mold on bathroom walls,bathroom light fixture duct taped together, mineral water ring on inside of toilet bowl, No internet service as stated,towels very thin and stained and if you didn't have a quarter you couldn't get a handful of ice from the ice machine, mattresses lumpy,Continental breakfast is a coffee machine and muffins wrapped in celophane.No small refrig or micro in rooms....Very little nice about this place.One of the worst places we have ever stayed in.When you check out..Sign says leave key on counter. There is no one around to speak to.Small children jumping in room on second floor above us all night.

Room Tip: go down the block to the Holiday Inn
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dilip P, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn-Buford/Mall of Georgia, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your stay was not to your expectations. We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and have taken care of the problems. We did have a power outage that took out our internet for 3 days and since then, it has worked perfectly.

We hope you will plan to stay with us again in the future.

Management
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I had a great stay here. I don't understand the other reviews. I think if you're a hard-core fan of a team and you know there is a game, I would make sure the location I'm staying at has the channel with the game. Aside from that when I went they did have ESPN and I had asked if they had Lifetime and the manager on staff told me "No, but we have channels reserved so that they can be changed to the customer's liking." I would imagine the lobby being hot during a stay in August. The staff was very nice.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Dilip P, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Buford/Mall of Georgia, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us. We really appreciate it and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Management
nashville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I was trying to save money but I shot myself in the foot here This hotel has seen better days They upgraded the out side near balconies but failed to paint carpet worn looked dirty black something on molding near floor in bathroom door latch was broken on door inside so I could not use it it just hung there some patches in walls needed repair towels thin Cable TV not as advertised terrible could not pick up ESPN as noted on card in room listing channels had HBO but no ESPN when sunday night they were showing by national contract game of week Braves Dodgers I am a Braves fan COULD NOT watch it night manager did not know difference between sports south and ESPN Office lobby was very warm and divided by bank window and smelt of oil that had been burnt in cooking DID NOT NOR did want to eat or drink breakfastt there It was to warm and smelt in office area Woman in office said to call office not come in for anything , Ice machine was dirty and rusty no covering from room when it rained going to get ice They did not care when I said I would not stay here again and usually I would and this is the first time I have ever written a bad review but this hotel deserves it

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you encountered with the TV channel and bathroom door latch of the room assigned to you and instructed to see to the necessary repairs.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Buford/Mall of Georgia? Share your experiences!