I usually check TA before I book a motel but for whatever reason I didn't this time and I sure should have. Traveling from Durham NC to Florida with our dog, so, typically we stay at Red Roof Inns because of their "pet friendly" policy (more on that in a bit). I booked us into this inn because we like Brunswick (a great restaurant in the Holiday Inn at exit 38).
Check in was fine (except for one thing, more on that). Drove around the parking lot to our room (good directions from the front desk clerk). Got inside the room and was blasted out of my shoes from the A/C (very very cold). Turned it down, went back outside to help DH with the dog and luggage. Got back into the room and then noticed a pretty creepy smell. Urine? Urine covered by a strong disinfectant? Hoped it would go away. It never did. I ended up spraying some of my perfume around the room in order to cut down the smell a bit. The room itself dingy, old furniture, poor lighting, icky carpet (saw DH put his Berkies on as soon as he got out of the shower, the first time I've EVER seen him do this). Bed was poorly made; sheets kept coming off. Water pressure in sink basin awful; took five minutes to fill up my dog's water bowl! Thankfully, the pressure in the shower the next am was fine.
Walls thin; could hear next door neighbor's TV.
Since it was one night and we were traveling, it could have been worse but even still, it was pretty depressing in that room. Also, the A/C had one speed. Off or full blast. It was hard to sleep.
Ok, so onto the "pet friendly" part. When I checked in, the clerk didn't say anything to me about whether we had pet or not (at all other Red Roof Inns, we've been asked). I didn't say anything; not because I was hiding her (why would I go to a pet friendly Red Roof Inn and try to hide the fact we had a dog?) I just didn't think to say anything, is all (tired after driving all day). Anyway, the next am when I went to check out (same front desk clerk, BTW), I saw a placard THAT WAS NOT THERE THE DAY BEFORE that detailed the inn's pet "friendly" policy.
First, it said if you didn't declare your animal(s) and then the inn found out you had one, you'd be charged a $50 fee. EXCUSE ME? I think not and I can tell you there had best not be a $50 charge on our bill! We'll tell the credit card company not to pay it. BTW, the clerk didn't give me a receipt. said I'd get one via email (two days later, I still don't have one).
The next thing the pet policy said was some inane thing about if you leave the pet alone in your room and they find out, they'll haul it off to animal control because "they scare the housekeeping staff" and "people have been abandoning their pets". Give me a break! Ok, I can totally agree with being charged a "nuisance" fee if a person leaves their dog in the room and it barks the entire time, but, haul them off to animal control? And yet, sometimes we are subjected to noisy neighbors next door (worse than any barking dog)?
Anyway, I'm seriously doubting Red Roof Inn's pet friendly policy and think we'll start looking into another place to stay with our dog (and cats, when we travel with them).
The only pro of this place were the Internet was fast and free.
Definitely will not stay here again. Not sure if we'll stay at a Red Roof again, either, if this is in fact a universal pet policy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We want you to feel at home when staying at Red Roof Inn - Brunswick. In addition to our regular guest rooms, we have tastefully appointed suites, offering plenty of space to spread out. In fact, our double-queen guest rooms are the largest in the Brunswick area! All of our rooms include a microwave, mini fridge, and high-speed wireless Internet access at no additional charge.We offer a free continental breakfast every morning from 6:00 until 10:00am. And in the evening, we welcome you back from a long day of traveling, business, or sightseeing with delicious fresh-baked cookies from 6:00 until 8:00pm! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Red Roof Inn, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick i-95 Hotel Brunswick
- Red Roof Inn And Suites Brunswick i-95
- Red Roof Inn Brunswick
- Brunswick Red Roof Inn