“Room Was a Big UGH and, Pet Friendly? Really?????” 1 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Tourist Drive, Brunswick, GA 31520   |
Ranked #27 of 35 Hotels in Brunswick
Sarasota, Florida
“Room Was a Big UGH and, Pet Friendly? Really?????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

I usually check TA before I book a motel but for whatever reason I didn't this time and I sure should have. Traveling from Durham NC to Florida with our dog, so, typically we stay at Red Roof Inns because of their "pet friendly" policy (more on that in a bit). I booked us into this inn because we like Brunswick (a great restaurant in the Holiday Inn at exit 38).

Check in was fine (except for one thing, more on that). Drove around the parking lot to our room (good directions from the front desk clerk). Got inside the room and was blasted out of my shoes from the A/C (very very cold). Turned it down, went back outside to help DH with the dog and luggage. Got back into the room and then noticed a pretty creepy smell. Urine? Urine covered by a strong disinfectant? Hoped it would go away. It never did. I ended up spraying some of my perfume around the room in order to cut down the smell a bit. The room itself dingy, old furniture, poor lighting, icky carpet (saw DH put his Berkies on as soon as he got out of the shower, the first time I've EVER seen him do this). Bed was poorly made; sheets kept coming off. Water pressure in sink basin awful; took five minutes to fill up my dog's water bowl! Thankfully, the pressure in the shower the next am was fine.

Walls thin; could hear next door neighbor's TV.

Since it was one night and we were traveling, it could have been worse but even still, it was pretty depressing in that room. Also, the A/C had one speed. Off or full blast. It was hard to sleep.

Ok, so onto the "pet friendly" part. When I checked in, the clerk didn't say anything to me about whether we had pet or not (at all other Red Roof Inns, we've been asked). I didn't say anything; not because I was hiding her (why would I go to a pet friendly Red Roof Inn and try to hide the fact we had a dog?) I just didn't think to say anything, is all (tired after driving all day). Anyway, the next am when I went to check out (same front desk clerk, BTW), I saw a placard THAT WAS NOT THERE THE DAY BEFORE that detailed the inn's pet "friendly" policy.

First, it said if you didn't declare your animal(s) and then the inn found out you had one, you'd be charged a $50 fee. EXCUSE ME? I think not and I can tell you there had best not be a $50 charge on our bill! We'll tell the credit card company not to pay it. BTW, the clerk didn't give me a receipt. said I'd get one via email (two days later, I still don't have one).

The next thing the pet policy said was some inane thing about if you leave the pet alone in your room and they find out, they'll haul it off to animal control because "they scare the housekeeping staff" and "people have been abandoning their pets". Give me a break! Ok, I can totally agree with being charged a "nuisance" fee if a person leaves their dog in the room and it barks the entire time, but, haul them off to animal control? And yet, sometimes we are subjected to noisy neighbors next door (worse than any barking dog)?

Anyway, I'm seriously doubting Red Roof Inn's pet friendly policy and think we'll start looking into another place to stay with our dog (and cats, when we travel with them).

The only pro of this place were the Internet was fast and free.

Definitely will not stay here again. Not sure if we'll stay at a Red Roof again, either, if this is in fact a universal pet policy.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

My family and I recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn on a trip to the islands. We reserved the two queen beds non smoking room and were pleased with the size of the room. The room had a decent size fridge and a microwave. It was clean and cool when we arrived. Check in was quick and the lady working was very friendly. In fact, all of the employees were friendly. Breakfast was nice, I made waffles every morning for the kids, a nice hot breakfast for them. We had no problems with our stay. The one thing I would like to see is thicker bath towels.

As for things to do, I would suggest the beaches, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, The Lighthouse and Maritime Museum, and Fort Frederica. As for food, we liked Toucan's Ale House, Kayleigh was our waitress and she was great. The ale house is off of exit 38. We also dined at the Sandcastle Cafe and Grille, good food there. And for great ice cream try Zuzu's. Both of those places are near the wharf on St Simons Island.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
RedRoofInnCSR, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
We appreciate your positive comments and feedback and will share your information with our staff. We are glad to hear about your experience at our property. Yes, we love the waffle station as well, its great for the traveling families like yourself. We look forward to seeing you again and can't wait to hear about your future travels. Thanks again!
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

We have been staying in Red Roof Inn's for years, all along the east coast. The reviews led us to believe we were going to be staying at a nice hotel.
The outside of the hotel looks nice. Good, nothing to worry about. We check in and after getting our key we are told to go up a ramp to get to the 2nd floor. I never had to do a ramp before but ok, no biggie. As we were entering the building, another couple who had checked in right before us was walking out and the gentleman said "it ain't pretty." We then walked up the ramp on stained carpet to our rooms. The building had a musty smell. We opened our door and it was like taking a step back into time. Old, very old. 70's maybe? Old tv, couch, the bathroom, the radio next to our bed was old and barely worked. The mattress and box spring had plastic over them hopefully to keep the bed bugs away, not because they did have them! I was afraid to look. The AC was not on so we had to turn it on and it took a couple of hours for the room to cool down. There was a mini fridge, microwave and an iron with ironing board in our room.
We slept with the bathroom light on for our comfort. The next morning when I went to take a shower, the water came out brown, I had to run it for a couple of minutes until it became clear. I will say however, the water pressure was amazing!!
We also had the room next to us for my adult daughter. She had hair in the bathtub and had to call to have it cleaned out.
All in all, I would NEVER stay here again, I should have done what the other couple did, get my money back and stay at the hotel down the road.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
RedRoofInnCSR, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
I genuinely apologize for your experience at our Inn. We strive for our guests to be satisfied with our property when chosing to stay with us. But, clearly we didn’t meet your expectations and for that we are very sorry! We thank you for taking the time to write the review because our guest feedback is very valuable to us in determining where we need to improve. We have taken your comments and suggestions to heart and will make improvements where possible. I do hope you stay with us again and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. Would love for you to give us another opportunity in the future. Would love to discuss with you the matter personally by calling our property directly or emailing us at brunswickredroofinn@live.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

J. Gaines
Front Desk Manager
SRQ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I made a reservation at this property based upon recent reviews on tripadvisor. I don't know what I'm missing, but the room was dingy, dirty, smelly, and all around nasty. The sheet looked as though they hadn't been laundered, a piece of wall was chipping off, and the carpet had debris of some description. The finishing touch was filthy light switches.
I am limited because I travel with my dog, but I worried he would pick up something. As a result, I had to leave.The front desk offered to show me another room. Why would I look at a different room if they saw fit to put me into this one in the first place.
I travel up and down the eastern states for eight years now. This was without a doubt the worst place I've encountered.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Bonaire, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

My husband and I often take trips to the Georgia coast. We usually stay at higher end hotels for (bed) comfort reasons. This time we were a little short on cash and decided to try this hotel. When we checked in, they gave a us a 1st floor room. Although there were sliding glass doors...they do not open. So, we asked to switch to a 2nd floor room with doors that open to a balcony...whic, they gladly did.The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms are a bit dated, but, very clean. The beds were pretty comfy. The pool was nice and also very clean and well maintained. There are probably, at least, 5-6 places to eat, within walking distance.of this hotel. Jekyll island is only about a 20 minute drive.Itys no Hampton....but, If you are looking for a clean, budget conscience, comfortable and friendly place to stay...thiis hotel will not disappoint.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
RedRoofInnCSR, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return visits.

Ocean Isle Beach, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Have stayed at this hotel for 7 consecutive on return from Florida vacation. This year large 40' Billboard on property advertising new rooms & big breakfast. What a Joke! Hall carpet worn & wrinkled, room carpet old & soiled, cardboard under table leg to prevent tipping, lampshade broken, ironing board but no iron, pillows small & worn, blanket & bedspreard old & worn, desk chair had dried paint smeared on it & all room furniture dirty & worn badley. This place an insult to our intellegence...It think this is one of the worst hotels I have ever been in. Do yourself a favor & stay at another location. What do the mean with this billboard advertising new rooms. Need to renovate or remove billboard!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
RedRoofInnCSR, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
As the Front Desk Manager of this location, I appreciate your comments and I want to personally apologize for the bad experience that you had at our hotel. Please contact me at brunswickredroofinn@gmail.com , so I can discuss this issue and follow up with corrective measures. I look forward to hearing from you.

I do sincerely apologize,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Red Roof Inn accepts pets at no additonal charge and that gets our vote! We have a well behaved Brittany but that doesn't matter to other motels, just a big no. Red Roof is the beneficiary of other motels' pet unfriendly attitude. This motel is great wtih friendly staff, big rooms, nice baths, free breakfast and very reasonable rates! They have a leg up over other motels that don't allow pets.

Bob

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate your comments and will share it with our staff. Thank you for staying with us at Red Roof Inn, Brunswick, GA. Visit us again!!

Manager
Jennifer

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Brunswick I-95? Share your experiences!