“Needs a lot of work!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel Brunswick

You added Howard Johnson Hotel Brunswick to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel Brunswick
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5323 New Jesup Hwy, Brunswick, GA 31523 (Formerly Magnuson Hotel Brunswick Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #31 of 35 Hotels in Brunswick
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Needs a lot of work!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was formerly known as the Magnuson Hotel. We stayed there one night a year ago and even though the room wasn't top quality, it was definitely worth the price (around $40). So we decided to stay again this summer for a longer period of time, a week. BIG mistake. The room smelled and there were cockroaches everywhere. The people in the room next door were druggies and there was always smoke and strange smells coming out of that room. The last day of the trip, the room next door was even raided by the cops. Everything just seemed dirty and old and the BUGS were horrible. Hopefully now that they have the HoJo name, things will get better, but at this point I'm afraid to give them another chance...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Misty M, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Brunswick, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hello,
I just wanted to reach out to you and let you know that this property was taken over and converted into a Howard Johnson 12/13. I do apologize for anything that happened to you here previous to our take over. Please consider giving us another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Holland ma usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have been staying at this location since it was a Best Western which we loved. A few years ago they changed over to a Magnuson Hotel and lowered the price. The first couple years were not bad but this trip was our last time we will stay there. From the person at the desk to the condition of the outside and inside of the rooms this hotel has gone downhill very quickly. They have another whole part of the hotel that is closed up and that is where we used to stay. This time the love bugs were all over the door of the room we were given and when we went to ask for a new room we were told basically that they can't control the bugs. We could not open the door without at least 50 bugs joining us in the room. Ii know that's not their fault but until the maintenance man who had experienced the same thing told the girl at the desk she didn't believe we couldn't get in the room. The couple who checked in after us also had the same problem and had to change rooms also.
Its always sad to see this happen we love the fact that it was dog friendly and had good restaurants without walking distance. We will find another one I'm sure...

Room Tip: Not sure if we could use the pool didn't check it was back with the part of the hotel that was c...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Coupon price $39 plus tax.... Step inside-yikes! Room smelled musty stinky (room b.o) Must have been a smoking room but stench stays in furniture and carpets and drapes long after. Dark inside, dated looking rm118. Pool is out of service and its 110 degrees outside! Help! Half of the hotel looks closed! A/c Working great! Door to bathroom loose. Towels are thin and cheap feeling. Hot water worked. Fridge didn't have freezer portion and was nearly working ( not cold). Was going to stay 2 nights but think I will make it just one night. When will I learn. There are reasons room coupon for $39-silly me.

Stayed August 2013
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I came from WV to visit my mom in the hospital there she died so right there was a lot of stress in itself, but when I found the hotel it was 6am. I had driven 14 hrs and I was tired so when I saw 40 dollars a night sounded great with my family of 6. So we get the first room it looked great but there were no towels first off. Well ok there was one so my wife goes to the desk to ask for some and was told they were out. Needless to say we were a little concerned about that, but we pressed forward with our stay. So we proceeded to take our showers but the water was filling up in the tub and not draining. We tell management team we then were told there was nothing that could be done about it until next week, but could move you to another room. So I took It upon myself to fix it. I bought some tools and fixed the tub myself, but we still moved the next thinking it would be better. Room number two was worse than the first. There was a leak we never found it but this leak made our floor completely soaked so bad that my 3 year-old could not play but on the top of the bed or outside the plus it was coming up on our bed sheets. There were some good points about the hotel it had a microwave oven and refrigerator that was nice, but I should have known when we got there and half the hotel was closed for some reason no one wanted to talk about and the pool my kids were looking so forward to getting in to the pool but also closed. If they work on the rooms and get some major things fixed for the price it would be a nice hotel truly. Just make sure that the room you stay in is up to date. Please!

Room Tip: Make Sure you check your room before you set your things down in there it could be bad.
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My Daughter and I took a mini vacation (5 days) to chill and go to beach,, We were looking for pet friendly accomodations and pet friendly beaches..We found both.. The staff were super friendly.. the rooms above clean..No Ritz, but just what we wanted.. We only slept there since at Beach most other time..Houskeeping Staff were wonderful, esp. our girl, Leslie..There is no pool and no Continental Breakfast but we knew that. But also, no pet fee and only like $45.00 per night.. We walked to restaurants, a variety close by..A Winn Dixie and Liquer Store..
We will come back and stay here.. All American owned..Great Bang for our Buck.. Plus the local cats are fed by the guest...

Room Tip: no tips. we were happy with room 214 except shower head leaked but we left a note..
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Nice, clean, well- appointed rooms with great southern hospitality and reasonably priced.
The staff couldn't be more helpful. The housekeeping staff takes great care to prepare each room with attention to detail.

Room Tip: Stayed there twice over a period of 10 days. Both rooms were on the first floor and each very nice...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Even as a 1 star hotel, it rates pretty bad. Half the MOTEL is closed down, including the pool. There is no continental breakfast as advertised. The A/C was ineffective, and the room had a musty smell. There weren't any outlets located conveniently to plug in my chargers, and the ones there were mostly being already used (a good reason to carry my own small power strip- hint). Pass it by.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
silverwing_81, Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Brunswick, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We are so sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us. We always strive to provide clean and comfortable accommodations at an affordable price. With that effort we have recently undergone operational changes to ensure we continue provide our guests with the same quality rooms they have come to expect. Unfortunately, we have discontinued our breakfast service and we will check to be sure all of our listings reflect this. Thank you so much for your review, it helps us continue to improve our guests' experience.

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel Brunswick? Share your experiences!