“Ok for the $” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Brunswick/South

You added Super 8 Brunswick/South to your Saves list
Super 8 Brunswick/South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   211 Palisade Drive, I-95 - Exit 29 - US 17, Brunswick, GA 31520   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Brunswick
Hickory, North Carolina
“Ok for the $”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Great access from I-95. Close to restaurants. Rooms seem dated and worn. Room was fairly clean. Reserved online, but actual price paid was less at check-in than quoted.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
jit000, Manager at Super 8 Brunswick/South, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Thank you for staying with us, and we appreciate the review.
We look forward to seing you again when you pass this way.
We are painting and updating all rooms, so you will even see an improvement next time

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
MC CORDSVILLE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stopped at Super 8 in Brunswick on our way back from Florida. It had been a several hour drive and was getting late. Super 8 was a name I felt comfortable with.

I pulled off, checked with the office and was told there were rooms available. I paid my $67 (this was including tax) and we went to the room.

I got straight in the tub and noticed the walls of the shower were nasty, so I wiped it down. As I sat in the tub, it looked like blood or dirt on the facing of the bathroom door. About this time, I started to hear screaming from an adjoining or upstairs room. It was loud, violent fighting. I got out of the tub and my 12 and 15 year old were terrified. As I walked to the bed, I found a 3 inch long cockroach dead on the carpet. While the kids were telling me about the fighting, and that they were scared, another roach ran over my daughter's foot. I reported this all to the desk, and was only told that I could check out if I wanted but I got no refund because I used the tub.

I paid almost $70 for the most horrific 30 minutes of any trip I have ever taken in my life.

I'm disappointed that neither the manager or corporate honored the Super 8 name and gave even a partial refund. I called corporate on the way out of the parking lot. They said I would hear back within 3 days, it has been 8 days and not a word. In addition, I filled out the email survey they sent, they responded by saying "sorry you had a problem, hope you will try us again soon" It will be NEVER!!

Save yourself, your family and trip and stay away from this pit!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

Typical Super 8. Good quality room--clean with no noticeable problems. It's "good for the money." I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I booked this motel after reading the positive reviews posted on this site and others. Well, yea, over all, this is a acceptable to good motel, BUT not the five stars or raves that I found on the web.

That said, the motel’s check-in process was fast, painless and the receptionist pleasant. The room was clean, well attended and somewhat spacious for a budget motel room (I had the single king bed). You get a refrigerator, microwave, in room wifi (slow) and of course the super cheap soap & shampoo that you can use on your dog. There was a coffee pot that made terrible coffee, after wheezing for 12 minutes I had something that looked like tea (Ugh).

On the serious downside: A) the towels are like white burlap. You do not need a Exfoliating Back Scrubber, just use the towels. Hint: Bring a towel. B) The pillow are years old and dilapidated...dead.... unusable... truly bad. Get the picture? The pillows case cover 4/5 of the pillow, leaving the rest exposed - stains and all Thank God I brought a pillow and pillow case with me...folks, seriously, at least bring a pillow case. God knows who has hacked or drooled the past eight years on these pillows. Recommendation: if you are going to be on the road for more than a night: read Peter Greenburg's great book: Hotel Secrets from the Travel Detective. The section on hotel sanitation and cleanliness is not for the squeamish. That said, and as budget motels go, this one is acceptable if modified with the tweaks recommended above. 3.5 out of 5 Stars. July 7, 2008

• Liked — Clean Room
  • Disliked — Pillows, Towels, Coffee Maker
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

The rooms were very clean and roomy. The reason I say rooms is that during our three day stay we had to move rooms three times. We liked the first room, but when we prepared to go out for the evening, we discovered that we could not close the door from the outside because someone had crowbarred the door trying to get in. The owner reluctantly moved us to another room and tried to charge us a higher rate but he finally agreed to charge us the same rate. However, the next night he did charge us a higher rate because there was supposedly a working spa in the room. It did not work, so it was just an oversized bathtub. We switched rooms to a lower rate room. The owner did help us move our things both times. Overall, the room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The pool was very clean. We would probably stay here again but would check the door before accepting the room.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brunswick GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

It's a shame but this motel just isn't what it used to be. My family members have been staying here for several years when they've come to visit but will most likely stay at one of the other motels at exit 29 in the future. Sadly, the motel was sold about a year ago and the new management is nowhere near the same caliber as the former owners. Even though the rooms are still fairly clean, there are telltale signs that steps are no longer taken to guarantee a perfectly clean room - a bit of trash behind the nightstands, a stray hair, here and there on the bathroom floors, dirty microwaves, trash in the parking lot, grubby sidewalks. While the rooms now have coffee pots they do not put coffee in the rooms - you have to go to the lobby and ask for it. While they began to put it in my parents room, when asked, when they stayed over, they did not supply styrofoam coffee cups. The lady in the lobby in the morning, who I think was the owners wife, told my Dad that they do too supply cups and showed him the type - plastic water cups. I'm sorry but those are not suitable hot drink cups. Unfortunately, there are also other problems. Watch out for cafeinated coffee in the decaf pot and stale, moldy bread in the containers on the breakfast bar! The owner also has a lack of respect for both the guests and his employees because although he said he was giving my parents their AARP/AAA discount, when we looked at the prices in the Super 8 guide and checked with the the reservation line we found that they were actually charged full rate. The Super 8 customer service line says that all Super 8's offer these discounts but this motel DOESN'T even though the owner says it does.. When we asked him about the rates he was charging he swore up and down the rates were discount rates. Secondly, one of the employees told my sister that they have apparently been having a real problem with employee turnover for the last few months - that apparently not only does the owner lie to the guests, he also swears and yells at the employees. That makes sense because the employees were one of the plusses that my parents really liked about this motel. The lobby used to be a vibrant place where the employees and owners treated the guests like old friends. There was even one clerk who had the uncanny ability to remember returning guests and conversations that they had 6 months or a year before! Not only that, the old owner, Mr. Patel, also had the same uncanny ability to remember returning guests and would make a point of seeking out my family and asking about their health and life in general. Since the same employees worked there for several years and suddenly there is major employee turnover, to us, that is a sign that there are serious management problems. To sum it up, although at first glance this motel seems like an ok place to stay, judging by the lowered standards of the past year it seems to me that it's being held together by band-aids and will soon end up joining the long list of old, rundown, bad motels in Brunswick.

• Liked — Located close to home so family could stay nearby when visiting.
  • Disliked — The way quality has quickly collapsed over the past year and lack of customer respect
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Grove City, Oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

My first visit to the Brunswick-Golden Isles Area. This motel is clean, the room was perfect. Motel staff very friendly and were eager to meet all of our requests. Will stay again and do recommend this Super 8. The swimming pool was sparkling clean, one of the cleanest pools I have ever seen.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not many area restaurants
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Brunswick/South? Share your experiences!