“Hotel For Dogs” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Brunswick
Tampa, FL
“Hotel For Dogs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here one night on our way to Columbia, SC. We arrived late, about 11pm. The location is great-right off of I-95, the staff was friendly. However, that doesn't make up for the fact that as we walked in at 11pm we saw more dogs then people. We walked into the room, and the overwhelming smell of deoderizer couldn't even mask the scent of urine which seemed to permeate every corner of the room. I'm sure the staff would have switched our room had we asked, however, animals were all over the place and I wasn't really convinced that another room would have smelled any better. Since this place obviously caters to animals and not humans, I feel we should have only spent about $25-the cost of one night in a kennel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
varies
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I've had an amazing stay here. The staff is very friendly and is willing to bend over backwards to make you happy. The outdoor pool is very refreshing. Pet friendly with extensive property to walk your dog. Safe area with lots of restaurants near by. Just off the high-way with no noise. Could use a few more tv channels and a work-out room, but is a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

The staff behind the counter were very friendly, both on the phone and in person. Conveniently located off the highway and next to restaurants and Starbucks. This hotel isn't for the clean freak though. Pets are allowed and you can choose between smoking or non. If management allows pets in the rooms, then they should designate pet only rooms. My room was non smoking but there was animal hair throughout, human hair in tub, on sink, and flooring. Sink was scantilly wiped off, toilet was not clean inside bowl. Doors had dirt, shoe marks, floors and carpets were excessively dirty. Beyond shampooing. I did not feel comfortable at all. Housekeeping standards are low, which in turn means the head housekeeper needs to raise the bar.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Jupiter
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

My daughter and I stayed here one night as we were traveling through on a trip. I have always had good experiences with La Quinta and stay there whenever we are traveling with our dog. This was my first bad experience. There was a Christmas party going on in the hotel room right next to mine complete with catering and very loud music. The people were not just in the room but also out in the hallway in front of my door. I called the front desk and they said they would call and ask them to turn the music down. That lasted about 3 minutes and we could hear it slowly being turned back up and it was even louder than it had originally been. I can't understand what kind of company has a Christmas party in a hotel room, but even so, I can't understand the hotel allowing it and putting people in the rooms near it.

• Liked — They allow pets.
  • Disliked — Noisy atmosphere and the front desk wouldn't do anything about it.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

If you are just going for the room, as is the case for most people, this hotel is fine. The rooms were adequate and seemed clean. For that reason alone, I'm giving it at least a 3 out of 5. There were two issues, however, that drop prevent it from being excellent. Since this is a mid-budget motel, I had realistic expectations; in fact, I stayed in 5 different similar hotels this week alone, so I knew what to expect, and this LaQuinta fell short on two points.

(1) When I checked in, a surly woman named Pat checked me in without a smile or a friendly greeting. She didn't get up from her seat but leaned over backwards, rifled through a pile of unorganized reservation notices, and handed me the key, telling me the room number. I went to the room and had a question because something did not seem to match the description of my room that I had read online. I went back to the desk, and her reply was curt and unfriendly. Maybe she was having a bad day, but it wouldn't have killed her to be pleasant, especially since she was the first face representing the hotel that I saw during my stay--and first impressions do count for something. At least the man at the desk the next morning for check out was more friendly.

(2) The morning offered another surprise: the breakfast. I've stayed at about a dozen La Quintas around the country (and many other similar mid-priced hotels), and they all have pretty much the same breakfast. In comparision, this hotel was woefully inadequate. Most other LaQuintas have items such as fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, danishes, donuts, hard-bolied eggs, and so forth. This hotel lacked all of that. I arrived a full hour before breakfast was supposed to close, and the only thing they offered was a waffle-maker (which was completely out of batter) and some bread to toast--that was it! It looks like there had been a compartment for muffins or something like that, but it was completely empty and the kitchen hostess indicated that they were all out of whatever it was. I heard several other guests complain about the nonexistant breakfast, and I heard one woman even exlaim "this is false advertising!" I have to agree on this count, especially since there were only about 3 drops of orange juice remaning when I left the dining room, and that was really the only cold drink available. I should note that there is a Cracker Barrel immediately next door to the hotel--not even 50 feet away; I would have prefered they knock a few dollars off the hotel price and just not offer the so-called breakfast. I would have used the money to buy something more adequate next door. So, in sum, I would recommend the hotel for the rooms at a good price (a 2-room suite for $75, in my case), but don't expect any friendly help and just skip the meager breakfast; go instead to the Cracker Barrel very conveniently situated nearby.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Booked a suite for 16.00 more than the double. Got two adjoining rooms, one with king bed and one with living room area; two TVs; two bathrooms. WONDERFUL option when traveling with kids. Hotel was clean and more than adequate for a overnight stop while traveling. Walked to Cracker Barrel. Only prob for me was no shampoo available in room (maybe economic cutbacks) and I did not have any of my own. Probably could have gotten some at front desk but did not try. Would stop again.

• Liked — the two room suite
  • Disliked — no shampoo in room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Booked this though AAA. Stayed here one night on the way to Florida. The hotel was clean, and the staff couldn't have been nicer. I don't think I have ever seen so many smiling faces. The room was standard, generic hotel room. The bathroom was clean and tidy. water pressure was great in the shower. The HVAC worked great. The continental breakfast featured make your own waffle which my daughter loved. It was a comfortable stay. There are several chain restaurants close by including a Cracker Barrel and a Shoneys across the parking lot.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Brunswick? Share your experiences!