“I had no problems. Not too far from UGA.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bogart
Corning, New York
“I had no problems. Not too far from UGA.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had no problems. The staff was friendly and my room was clean. Overall the property is well maintained.

The hotel is setback from the main road so it's easy to miss. If you are headed to the University of Georgia, but can't find a room in town, this is a good alternative. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to campus.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Blake B, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We appreciate the nice things you had to stay about our staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. As far as being easy to miss, we know and we are working on that also. I hope that whenever you stay in Athens you will think of the great stay you had at the Candlewood Suites and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I made a reservation online for one room 1 hour prior to arriving at Candlewood Suites in Athens, Georgia. When I informed the front desk that I was checking in, she responded "no, you are not." A bit shocked by her sharp response, I said "I reserved a room with my credit card through the Candlewood Suites website." She went on to inform me that the hotel was full and there was no way she could give me a room. She was a bit rude to me but did offer a discount on my next stay. If Candlewood Suites is overbooking, then I will choose another hotel to prevent this situation from happening again.

• Stayed August 2012
Blake B, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the way you were treated upon check-in. The goal of the hospitality industry is to make everyone feel welcome and it seems like we did not do this in your circumstance. I would love to be able to make up for this with you. We are an extended stay property, so there are times when a guest will extend their stay without letting us know in time, therefore temporarily overbooking us. We did have a room for you as it showed in our system when you made your reservation and I apologize for the way in which your situation was dealt. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to make you feel welcome at the Candlewood Suites once again. Please contact the hotel and ask for me when making future reservations so that I can make sure you feel welcome next time.
Pelham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My stay at this Candlewood location from 8/2/12 - 8/5/12 started when I came in a day earlier than expected. I arrived at the propert @ 8:00 pm and told the young lady at the desk that I was a day early and asked if she could get me a room. She was able to get me a room with a single king and that was fine, my sons would be meeting me the next day anyway as we had planned. I told her to please make sure I needed to switch to a room with 2 beds as soon as possible on the next day and she said she would leave a note for the next shift. Note: I travel with my 3 lb. adult dog (as stated to the gentleman who took my initial reservation) and told her to give me an appropiate room as to not be a further inconvenience. At NO time during the initial reservation AND early check-in was I told of ANY charge for pets! Remember this!
The next morning I went to the front desk to check on the change of rooms, and on the way down I saw plenty of houskeepers at work with their carts and such. The woman at the desk confirmed that a note had been left and that she would call me as soon as the room was ready and available. My sons show up @ 10:00 ready to start our day together so I go down to check again. Still no room. I repeat that it is urgent to get the room ASAP so I can switch belongings and dog with crate to the new room so I can be on my way. I am assured it won't be much longer. 11:45 still no call, no room. I go down and the same clerk tells me to wait and she will go see what the hold-up is... 30 minutes later I see her in the hallway while I am on my way to my original room. Just before this, a manager became involved and made a call and got the situation taken care of. I ended up being only 20 minutes late for our appointment in Athens, but was willing to forget about it... Stuff happens.
On Sunday I went down to check out after I had packed the car and my sons had gathered their belongings. Sam Foster, the GM who had finally helped to get me into the proper room on Friday, presented me with the invoice for my stay. It was $75.00 more than I was expecting, the price of one night's stay in the room! He explains to me that it is a Non-refundable pet-fee. Remember my previous statements about a pet fee? I am completely surprised at this charge, explain to him that NO ONE had mentioned a fee or agreement until now. I don't want something for nothing but I expect no surprises! He said that they have always charged a pet-fee and could do nothing about the charge. I told him I would not be staying at his or any other Candlewood again, signed the invoice and left. As I was driving to my next destination, I called IHC customer service and was connected to a very polite representative who also was very surprised at the charge. She looked online and it does state that a pet fee of UP TO $75 PER STAY MAY BE CHARGED with proper proof of vaccination and a pet agreement. The word MAY implies to me that it is at the discretion of each property manager and/or staff to determine the fee. I guess I should look online each time I book a reservation by phone direct to the property for any changes in policy, especially when I told everyone up front that I was keeping a 3 lb. dog with me during my stay. Sam and I have played phone tag several times the last few days and he has my e-mail address. I have asked for him to produce a copy of the pet agreement (none). I will not call again and expect hin, as he is in the Hospitality industry to contact me as it is not convenient for me to call from work daily to play phone-tag. I just want what is right, not necessarily a $75 credit but whatever seems right.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

The Candlewood Suites of Athens would like to apologize to you. We gladly accept pets, but there is a pet fee. We are sorry for not explaining this more thoroughly at check-in. Our GM will call you very soon to go over how we can help resolve the situation. If there is anything we can do to help make your future stays more pleasant please do not hesitate to give us a call and ask to speak with me.
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

At about 10:45 pm on Thursday, June 21st The Candlewood Suite clerk, a Mr. Ricky appeared at my suite door and said "You have 15 minutes to get out of these suite or I am calling the police"Bet you think I was disorderly or something nope!Lets go back 4 hours.When I arrived at the Candlewood suite with my family for a UGA event,we were advised by the earlier front desk person that the suite we reserved and paid for in advance was not available.I explained that we were a family and required a separate bedroom /living room.She said she would give us two rooms at the same rate and asked if that was acceptable.I agreed.We brought our thing in and rested from our long ride.We were all asleep by 9:30. in both rooms.

When Mr. Ricky came on duty he called me, woke me up, and said that he would not allow us to have the second room at the same price as we paid for the unavailable suite and that we had to pay double,or get half the family out of the second room.I was shocked! I told him we were given two rooms, had gotten an apology by the earlier clerk and the matter had been resolved.It was then that he uttered the above words"'15 minutes to get out or I called the police"I refused to wake my family or leave the room at what was now 11pm.The police were summoned and I met then in the lobby still hoping to let my family sleep through this.Mr Ricky refused to allow me to call a Candlewood general manager He proceeded to,insulted, embarrassed and humiliated me in the lobby in front of onlookers as I stood there with my receipt of payment.After explaining what occurred to the police they declined to throw us into the night,much to Mr Ricky's dismay .He argued with both police officers for more than an hour.His voice high and his demeanor on the verge of violence.A police report was written and the police left the Candlewood suites advising the front desk clerk that this was not a criminal matter since I had proof that my payment was for an amount exceeding a standard room charge and had not gotten what was promised and because I had already been given the room hours earlier.The earlier young lady clerk had been professional and exercised good will by resolving this matter previously by providing us two room.I returned to my room exhausted and stressed at 1pm passing the glare of Mr. Ricky.My family was still asleep thankfully when I returned to our rooms.As I tried to compose myself the telephone rang in my silent room and it was Mr Ricky attempting to continuing his reign of terror.He said I was noisy.I told him The room had only a quiet tv on and hung up, convinced that he could be dangerous!I double locked our room doors and got my family out of there first thing in the morning.
Mr Ricky is clearly unfit for his position and I blame Candlewood suites for the following:
negligent hiring,not speaking with the police officers when they called the general manager that night to try and resolve the issue,failing to contact me or my family following the filing of a police report on their premises.
WE WILL NEVER STAY AT A CANDLEWOOD SUITES AGAIN! We are considering legal action

Room Tip: Skip this hotel and Mr Ricky!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear atlfamily3,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay with. I am deeply sorry you received service that was less than satisfactory. We are hospitality professionals and pride ourselves on delivering world class service. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
Case Manger
IHGCare
Chula
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and upon entering the room did my normal check, airconditioner and television. The airconditioner was pretty loud but it did cool and that meets my requirements, the television on the other hand did not function correctly (no channels programmed). I called the front desk to report the problem expecting to be re-routed to a different room, for this reason I didn't immediately unpack. The response was that they would try to find the master remote to reprogram the TV and they would call back. After over an hour I called back to find out that they had no luck in finding the master remote but I would be welcome to come downstairs to find a DVD and help myself to $10 in "goodies" from the "company store", I didn't bother with either. I asked at the desk as I was checking out whether they had been full the previous night and the response was "no" they still had rooms available. I probably should have expressly asked for a different room but I thought that they would offer if rooms were available (the normal response from other hotels when I have had these kind of issues just after checking in). I will say that I did receive a discount on the stay as compensation for the inconvenience.
I have stayed at this hotel on one previous occasion and had a non-functioning microwave, I notified the desk so they could correct this after my checkout but this didn't really affect me since I had no plans to use the microwave.
The hotel overall is very nice and well kept and it is a shame that some simple maintenance issues that could be avoided with a room equipment function checklist would cause unnecessary trouble for their guests. While maintenance issues do seem to be the root of the problem, the handling of those issues by the staff also needs some improvement. The staff was friendly and I know they tried but the failure to call back within a reasonable time as well as the failure to try to swap rooms had a negative impact.

Room Tip: The Harley store is in front of the hotel so make sure there is not some kind of rally going on ther...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Athens-GA, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear James G,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service from our staff which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seekonk, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I was taken aback a bit when told at check-in that the rooms are cleaned "once per week". However, the room had plenty of towels which could be switched out at the front desk as needed. The room also had a fully equipped kitchen area with coffee and microwaveable popcorn, both of with could be replenished at the front desk. The room was clean and quiet, no hearing toilets flush, showers or doors slamming like so many other hotels. Since it is considered an "extended stay" there was no continental breakfast. However, there was a "snack room" which offered almost as much as a continental breakfast set up. This Candlewood is set back off Atlanta Highway/Rt 78/ W. Broad St. and is close to restaurants, CVS, Publex, Target and other stores. It is one mile from the Athens Loop. Best price in Athens.

Room Tip: Ask for a room "upgrade" !
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights during Thanksgiving. We loved it as it was clean, fresh and was in a good location for our needs.

Pros:
Spacious, well-appointed and clean room
Very friendly front desk clerks
Free washer/dryer facilities
Honor system for their in-house "store" for snacks, drinks, etc.

Cons:
As it sits back off the Atlanta Hwy., the signage was hard to see while looking for the hotel
No free breakfast

We'd stay here again in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Candlewood Suites Athens-GA? Share your experiences!