“Charming, in a Great Location, but Dated” 3 of 5 stars

Park Plaza Hotel Winter Park
307 Park Ave. S, Winter Park, FL 32789   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Winter Park
Florida
“Charming, in a Great Location, but Dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Located in the lovely Park Avenue section of Winter Park, FL, this hotel is literally in the middle of downtown where you're steps away from an abundance of fine shops, galleries, and restaurants (not the least of which is in the hotel, itself). The Park Plaza was built in the 1930s and retains a lot of the charm, as well as the quirks, of that period. The restaurant and lobby are on the first floor, while the rooms are on the second floor, accessed by a vintage elevator that requires you to, after pressing the call button, open the door upon its arrival, slide a brass gate to enter, close the gate, and press a button - up or down; quite safe, but a little tight for more than two people. Our room overlooked Park Avenue, had its own sitting room and a balcony with wicker furniture. The room was clean, but on the genteel-shabby side with inadequate lighting and a bathroom that almost requires you to step outside to change your mind. All in all, we enjoyed our stay, and our meal in the restaurant; however, at the nightly rate we paid, unless staying in the heart of Winter Park is an absolute requirement, we'll look elsewhere on our next stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I were in town for a wedding and stayed here one night on August 11th. We had a standard Queen room in the back of the hotel. I'll start with THE BAD. I literally got no sleep! The TRAIN was VERY VERY loud (horn and all) and ran all through the night. I've never stayed anywhere and heard a train this loud. I don't understand other people reviews that say they did not hear a train. This hotel is very small, I would think all the rooms can hear the train. Earplugs would not have helped much. The train literally runs right behind the hotel. The walls are also paper thin. I didn't realize this until I thought my husband's cell phone was ringing but it was our next door neighbors phone and I could even hear the neighbor starting up their computer. It was like they were in the same room. The bathroom in our room was also teeny tiny and the furniture was way too big for the room. I clocked my shin on the gigantic wood bed post (nice lump) and clocked my shoulder on the tip of the dresser (bruise). THE GOOD: the hotel is in a great location. Walking to shops and restaurants. The linens and towels were very nice. Staff was nice. Coffee, OJ and warm blueberry muffins on a tray with flowers brought to your room. There's no way I could have stayed another night in this hotel because of the train.

Room Tip: Standard Queen rooms are very very small. Bathroom is tiny. Do not get a room in the back or you wil...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We had a lovely weekend at the Park Plaza. The hotel is old but charming and very nicely restored. It is so very convenient to the shopping, dining and sightseeing in Winter Park. We left our car in front of the hotel on Friday afternoon, a valet parked it for us and we did not get back into until Sunday morning as we headed home. We were able to walk to everything including the Saturday Farmers Market, the amazing Morse Museum and the great boat ride through the lakes and canals of the area. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Cold bottles of water were always available and the included breakfast was nicely served right to our room when we called for it. It was a great weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I live in Central Florida and opted for a less expensive alternative to traveling out of town for his birthday weekend. We decided to skip the "Mouse" areas altogether and celebrate while exploring Winter Park. This hotel's location CAN'T be beaten! It is in the heart of Winter Park's upscale shopping and dining Mecca. The hotel offers balconies on the 2nd floor with literally a tree-top birds eye view with fantastic people watching! You can sit on this balcony forever, hidden amongst a wall of lush green plants and hanging ferns. Even if a someone on the street was looking up at these balconies, the owners have the plants so cleverly positioned the people-watching guest are camouflaged within the greenery!
The rooms are spotless and welcoming with thick cotton sheets and cold air conditioning, making it hard to get out of bed in the morning. Upon our arrival, I was especially impressed with the hotel's attention to small details. You see, when I called hotel, I told the it was my husband 50th birthday weekend just in idle chit chat while she was checking for rooms. Every employee of the hotel went out of their way to wish my husband a Happy Birthday and ask us if we were having a good time and if there was anything they could do to make it better! They were eager to help us with dinner reservations and even "found" us an 8pm dinner reservation at the restaurant across the street after we had been told they had no reservations and the wait would be 2.5 hours!
It's the personal service they provided which is so hard to find in any chain hotels, plus the clean, comfortable, inviting rooms that make this hotel a winner. The added balcony with views NOT to be missed only enhanced our overall stay. Thank you for a wonderful time and we will be returning for my birthday as well!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I've stayed here in Spring, Winter and Summer but this is my first review as this latest stay was made all the more pleasant for the recent upgrades to the rooms and reception area. The hotel provides an excellent central Winter Park location and the staff are so welcoming and knowledgeable, meaning I can get the most out of the location, secure restaurant reservations and ensure a relaxing stay.

With a young child I am very conscious of noise disturbance so am a little puzzled by some comments about the room walls. Not in my experience is all I can say.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We chose Park Plaza hotel as the preferred hotel block for our wedding, since we had a small wedding (~20 people). When the best man arrived (my husband's brother), he was informed that his reservation was cancelled. Apparently, they cancelled the wrong reservation with the same Surname/Last name without any inquiry of first name, credit card info or date of stay. The hotel could not work through the cancellation error as the manager was not onsite, the front desk was unwilling to call the manager at home and the elderly man arming the front desk was not capable of working through such a complex affair. The next day I was informed that the best man's room was ready for check-in. The manager's response was 'what's the odds that multiple people with the same last name would stay at the hotel?' My response, 'high' especially since it's the groom's surname (duh!). But since it was a busy day (the day before our wedding!), our best man chose to keep his room up the road at the Best Western Mt Vernon Inn in Winter Park. A couple of our other guests stayed there too. The Best Western turned out to be the better hotel and it was even 1/2 the cost. Both hotels were walking distance to Hannibal Square (Dexter's, Chez Vincent), which was where we met anyways. I would not stay at this hotel again. Low value, high cost, great location.

Room Tip: Note: No pool, multiple excellent restaurants within walking distance, convenient to Park Ave, Valet...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Omg... Does this place suck! It seemed so cute from the outside, but the inside leaves much to be desired. My husband and I are sort of boutique hotel connisseurs, and this hotel falls short in so many ways. The rooms attempt to be quaint and vintage are just smelly, old, and damp. Are biggest problem is the extreme lack of privacy. Actual paper walls would be less noisy. You can hear every word of conversations in neighboring rooms. I seriously feel like we just paid a premium to stay in my grandmothers attic. Epic fail. Do. Not. Stay. Here. Unless u just like to set money on fire.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Park Plaza Hotel Winter Park? Share your experiences!