“Have your food and drink and dance too!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Orlando, Florida
“Have your food and drink and dance too!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have been to Dexter`s of Winter Park numerous times. It is at 558 W. New England Ave. in Winter Park. I will start with Parking, which is very important to me. Dexter`s is right across from Hannibal Square which has plenty of open air parking plus street parking and there is also a parking garage on the next street around the block where Dexter`s is. It feels very safe there.

The restaurant has a bar and also a live band, every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I always go and eat, drink and dance. My only concern with the dance floor is that it is really just a postage size part of the floor, not a designated dance floor. Some times, if somebody drops a drink near the dance floor, the help takes too long to clean it up and they just
wipe it without soap or water so that it gets our shoes sticky and it makes it hard to dance.
It doesn`t happen very often, but they should really take better care of that.

The food is quite good. I can`t have spicy hot food so there are not many choices without pepper, etc. but the ones they do have I find very good. The burger is awesome and so are their sweet potato fries. One side of them is enough to share. They also have great Onion rings. They are not on the menu, so ask for them.
I had the Summerset spinach Salad with apples, grapes, pecans, gorgonzola, shaved red onions wtih spinach leaves and apple cider vinaigrette. it was very good but there was very little Gorgonzola cheese and the pecan pieces were minute.
A friend gave me a taste of the seared Sesame crusted Tuna. I am not a fish lover and I was weary of tasting siracha but I fell in love with the dish right away. It was delicious. I just dont know that I would pay $14 for that little appetizer plate.

I ordered the Caramel Apple Bread Pudding and it was just wrong! It was a super dense mouthful of chunky bread and it had no taste at all. To my server`s credit, she took it off my bill.

Dexter`s has a good selection of wines and beer. I always order the Angry Orchard. It is a Cider Beer with a tinge of Ginger; delicious!

The service at Dexter`s can be "relaxed" so don`t go if you`re in a hurry. It is a good place for meeting friends, relaxing after work or dancing for a couple of hours. The band starts at 8 or 8:30 and ends at 10:30. There are tenants living over the restaurant and Winter Park has a noise ordinance, so 10:30 is written in stone, so to speak, but for those 2 and a half hours, it is a lot of fun. I will be back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

camarillo, ca
“Hannibal Square Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This location is at the West end of New England Ave., in the Hannibal Square section of Winter Park. Sunday brunch is unbelievably popular: completely packed with crowds on the street, so reserve if you really want to eat then.

They are also famous for their $1 hamburgers on Tuesday evenings. Happy hour starts during the week at 3 pm. If you don't like the indoor noise, the tables outside are quieter, with a fab view: your own tiny slice of almost-New Orleans. Try the grouper and the grits; the fish is local.

By the way, Dexters is the name of the owner, not from the TV series. Too bad, huh?

Visited November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Place - Works Well for a Business Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Dined at Dexter’s recently and enjoyed my salad with grilled chicken. Other members of my party liked their fish or fish-inspired dishes as well.

Good place for a business lunch (size of tables, spacing of tables within restaurant, and speed of service).

Our waiter was attentive and helpful with menu suggestions.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ovideo fl
“What is with Blowing your eardrums out in Winter Park”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stopped at Dexter's for Dinner when another place was not available. I could not believe how loud it was... The food was unique and I have to say not to bad for what I ordered (Grilled Sandwich) everyone seemed to like the food from the menu. The specials for the night seemed intriguing however were way over priced which kept us all to the regular menu. Also 12.95 for a cocktail is way to steep...
I would possibly return but only if they offered a dome of silence to have a conversation with people at your table.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Winter Park, Florida
“We're local and this is our most frequented restaurant.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Way above average food but not so rich you can't eat here every night. Thoughtful menu by innovative chef. Great wines, fairly priced and full liquor bar. Good parking. Rarely wait for a table. Service is only good.

• Visited September 2013