“Always love it!! Great cozy, family atmosphere, great food and wine!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Diva Wines and Desserts - CLOSED

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian, American, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: Sunrail Coming Soon!
Orlando, Florida
“Always love it!! Great cozy, family atmosphere, great food and wine!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I TOTALLY don't agree with the last review, and believe I was at the same event. I was recently there with about 50 people, and the entire group was pleased, laughing, having a great time, etc. No one complained about anything during or after the event, and just relaxed and had a good time. As a matter of fact, there were so many POSITIVE remarks given to both the owners and the organizers of that particular group, that the event was extremely successful! There is no reason to go to an event somewhere, with that many people, and be so picky, demanding, and unhappy about everything. Life is too short to be that way. It was meant to be a social event and maybe the last review came from someone who just sat at their table and picked apart everything instead of trying to be happy and enjoy the fun group and atmosphere. All the food was fresh, amazing, and to everyone's satisfaction. Nothing was stale. Their desserts are amazing!!! Hands down!! The details of the event price were given ahead of time and if this person wasn't happy about it when they showed up, then they could have left. It was clearly stated to each person that the gratuity was optional and that in doing so they would also be entered into the raffle. No one works for free, so to provide an optional gratuity for those serving our group is only considerate and justified, especially considering all that the owners gave this group for the one flat price!! Maybe this person had a bad day and just interpreted him incorrectly.They were so generous and the staff was so on top of taking care of everyone. The tastings were awesome, and ran smoothly. No one complained and was very happy about all the wines.

I have attended this location several times, with a few friends, eaten various foods, drank various wines, and never been dissatisfied. They are a fun group of people, not uptight and stuffy like some restaurants. Everything is amazing and I highly recommend it.

I could go on and on about the incorrect statements in the last review, but it seems that person might have a hard time finding the good in anything.

By far one of the best events our particular group has ever had!! Highly recommend!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kissimmee, Florida
“Lacking service, but good food product...not desserts!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Divas is located in Winter Park among many restaurants and shops. The area is booming and has something for the whole family. I have visited Divas on several occasions and have walked away with the same thoughts.... the organization is lacking. The food is usually good and the atmosphere beautiful! My last visit echo all of my past feelings, and from the comments of others last night, I am not alone.

Divas is a family owned and run business. The owners and Shana( a soon to be family member) are extremely nice.

My last visit was with a group. The event was an all you can eat, one price wine tasting.

Again, the flatbreads are great, a few menu items are pretty good as well, but the desserts, with exception of the cheesecake, were not fresh. I mean old, you could taste the air and both the chocolate and carrot cake were crunchy (nope, not due to nuts, but due to being old). I shared my opinion and listened to that of other attendees, and for the most part, the consensus was the same, the desserts were not fresh.

Again, the last, most recent event I attended was a one price group event where a bottle of wine was raffled. The event was scheduled to begin at 6 PM. Upon paying the one price, many people received raffle tickets, and others did not. When the owners' son was asked about this, he explained that only people who paid an "optional" gratuity before the start of the event received tickets. Of course, this does not make sense. If there is one price and a raffle, all attending participants should receive the same options. Either there was a required gratuity, or there wasn't.

In addition to the above, the disorganization of the establishment continued to show when the tasting begin. It did not start until 6:30, there was no order as to how the more than 40 people would receive the wine tastes as there were only two people working the floor, one actually never left the bar. The bar is extremely small for a tasting of that size crowd. so, some people went to the bar and a few were served at their tables. This confused the tastes and often caused the attendees to miss the wines being sampled as they did not know the process until the group was at sample 5 out of 9 tastes arranged.

Now, the restaurant was made aware of the attendees in more than enough time to have some sort of organization. However, the tasting began and there were no crackers, or food prepared until well after the start of the event. This is a wine tasting where attendees have just left work, haven't had dinner and are tasting an abundance of wines. Attendees need to clear palates between tastes. The cheese and cracker trays were not initially available to do this. When food was placed out for the attendees, the serving utensils were not provided. Lines grew and the establishment ran out of plates. The flow of the event was staggered and interrupted because of this. This was again, poor organization and planning. Food and all items needed to enjoy should have been available before the wine tasting begin, or at the very least, at the start of the event.

Although I have dined at Divas on several occasions and have tried to give them the benefit of the doubt where service is concerned, I think I have attended my last event there. The establishment has so much potential, yet with the organization and rude service of the older son last night, makes me elect to never return.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando, Florida
“always love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

my boyfriend and have been there quite a few times and have always felt very welcome. the family is very personable and fun. the service has always been prompt and the prices are on par with the rest of park ave, if not better. but whats really nice: they do not charge a corking fee. the food is good, not too expensive and its filling, which is more than i can say for items i've had at other places around there that are too pretentious for their own good.
we've been the only ones in there and been 2 of the many in there and we always have a good time. when we want wine, this is always our first choice.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winter Park
“Poor Service, exorbitant prices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I want to start out by saying I am a local. I live in Winter Park and try to support local businesses before I will frequent a chain. Our first visit to Divas was pleasant enough. Our waitress was nice if a bit talkative. My husband and I had coffee and shared a slice of chocolate cake on that visit. I went there for my second visit with two friends. We ordered three flatbread pizzas and a bottle of wine. The wine was very expensive. I'm no stranger to nice restaurants or bottles of wine and I could not believe the prices. On that visit the owner kept coming over to our table to make jokes about our being divas and using the word diva in a sentence. The first time was vaguely amusing. The third time was annoying. On that visit, the service was spotty. It took forever to place our orders and to order the wine. The next and final visit was with a friend. It was late afternoon on that visit where we ordered two desserts, I ordered water, and she ordered coffee. We were in the middle of a conversation when the waiter approached our table, asked if everything is OK, and then said, can I ask you a personal question? We said yes, and he asked what our reaction would be if you had paid for a friend's hotel room in Key West for one night as a gift, and you found out that the friend had changed the reservation to somewhere closer to Orlando. He told us that he found himself in that situation because a customer paid for a hotel in Key West and he changed it. Would we be angry if we were the customer. What? We gave an answer but were put off by the long question and couldn't remember what we were talking about once he walked away. Then we got the bill. We thought it was a mistake. For two desserts, one water, and one coffee, the bill was almost forty dollars and "You saved $60.00!" was printed on the bill (I can't remember the exact "you saved" amount that was printed on the bill but it was between $50 and $60). I kid you not. My friend went up to the counter incredulous about the bill and about what was printed on the bill because we didn't think it was funny. She was told, oh you saved sixty dollars, ha ha, but that's not what you owe. That's what you saved. Whatever. We paid it, left, and won't be going back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando, FL
“Never getting our money again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The first time we went here in October 2012, the service was fantastic. We (a group of four) were treated like family, we were given advice on wine and even treated to samples, resulting in us buying a couple of bottles. We were told of a special event they were having at the end of the year, and we asked to be put on the email invite list and were told yes.

After returning a third time in March 2013, I realized the experience had gone downhill each visit. My most recent visit will be my last because of the awful service we received. We were greeted by the same owner who treated us so well the first time. We reminded him of the good time we had our first visit. Don't you know he even told us about the fabulous event they had in December that they email blasted everyone about? Everyone but us apparently. We called him on it and said we had asked repeatedly to be on the list. He blew it off. Then we asked him if he had any more of the special rum he let us try the first visit. He acted like he didn't know what we were talking about. After giving us his "car salesman" pitch on his wines, he went inside while we looked at menus.

After sitting outside for more than 10 minutes without the owner, his wife or his son that work there coming out to see what we wanted to order, we were truly annoyed. They were not busy at all—just focusing on schmoozing with two of the tables in the place. One of us had to go inside and order the wine ourselves and bring it outside. After another 10 minutes of sitting and drinking our wine outside, still no one came to ask us if we wanted dessert (which we did), or offer any more wine. We decided enough is enough, this place isn't getting any more of our money. We begrudgingly paid our bill and left no tip.

It was so disappointing to revisit a place that had shown such promise and see it become a waste of our time and money. For the record, the desserts are really good, but not worth the hefty price tag for what you get. In fact, their servings have gotten smaller despite the price not changing. You can visit a number of places in the area that sell wine and dessert, probably with a better atmosphere. In fact, we went to one a couple of blocks away with MUCH better service and selection.

Bottom line: Don't waste your time and money coming here, unless you like being lied to and treated like a customer in a used car lot. You can find better elsewhere.

• Visited March 2013