“Roach motel - literally!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Winter Haven
FL
“Roach motel - literally!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

We had to change rooms because we found a LIVE roach IN the bed - not on top of, but actually between the sheets. We were there 4 nights - the room was not cleaned ONCE. They spread up the beds and that was it.
I would not stay here again if given any choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
West Frankfort, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

This place was a nightmare from the start. My wife and I spent one night.....One Long Night!!! We decided to do our laundry and the washer works great but the clothes dryer does not dry your clothes. One dryer partially dries your clothes and the other one does not even heat. We had to lay our clothes on the furniture in our room to finish drying. The motel is in need of a remodel but they still charge like its up to date. The carpets are badly stained and the walls need another coat of paint. I do have one positive comment, The staff is friendly. Now for the best part, I was awaken to a cockroach or palmetto bug on my chest at 2:30am. And then before we could leave this Roach Motel the next morning my wife found a roach on our suitcase. Our only fear is that we don't take any home as souviners. Oh also the wifi is a weak signal, it fades in and out. I would recommend the Bates Motel before this one. My advise, just do a drive by and don't stop.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

If I didn't get to my room so late...I would have run...not walked out of there. You had to hold your breath in the hallway to escape the smell. The cockroaches in the bathroom were the size of small dogs. Thank goodness they were all dead (all 7 of them). It was too late to find another hotel and thus I stayed with my eyes wide open all night. Don't know what fungus would attack. Ran from the room the next day. Weeks later found my credit card had been charged for two nights and for more than what they quoted me. Ripped off and disgusted. HoJo's should be ashamed.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Saint Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

I believe these franchise owners might give the whole chain a bad rep. There were other Ho Jo's I've stayed in that were really nice. This one was not worth the 65 + 12%-tax. The room looked clean except for this lingering pungent lived-in odor. The bathroom was nice and clean and had nice fixtures, though. The A/C blew nice and cold but the refrigerator didn't work. On the bed, I noticed a tiny blood stain on the sheet that never came out in the wash.There were stains on the hall floor and there was grime on the trim and doorways. There was also that same odor in the hall. Overall, the place just had a bit of a rundown look to it. When I got home, I found a live roach in my ice cooler. It really grossed me out. They should focus more attention on the carpet stains and smell. Just more attention to detail would make this location worth the rates they charge.

• Liked — The Bathroom
  • Disliked — The Smell
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

I love this place. I have stayed here twice, both times during spring training to see the Indians play. You can walk to the stadium from the hotel (10 minutes). Unfortunately, the Indians are going to move to Arizona so i dont think i will be back. The lady at the front desk was nice and the room was clean. The pool is not heated. Worth the money.

G Man

Stayed March 2007
pensacola
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2006

They can't blame 2004 hurricanes anymore. Floors were dirty, even in the halls, ceiling tiles coming down, broken ironing board, toilet flapper had to be held down by hand after every flush, sheets don't fit, remote needed new batteries....generally the place needs some quality attention/maintenance.

• Liked — close to the workshop attended
  • Disliked — maintenance & cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at the holiday inn next door
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2006

This motel. . . I mean hotel was not up to standard for a hard working business traveler like myself . When I leave for a meeting in the city, I want to come back to a room that is clean and ROACH free, this was not the case at this hotel. The tub was rusty and the sink was corrosive.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Howard Johnson Inn - Winter Haven? Share your experiences!