“Great Hotel, missed the Sweet Rolls” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
“Great Hotel, missed the Sweet Rolls”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We loved this place from the time we hit the front desk until we left. The girl at the desk Jennifer was very good. She answered every question that I normally ask in the first minute without me having to ask (a first for me). Simple questions like your room is..., you internet code is..., breakfast starts at....Our only gripe was that this was not a Holiday Inn Express which meant that breakfast was not free and they did not have those great sweet rolls.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

What a great hotel! Staff was amazing! They really made us feel at home!!! I would recommend this hotel 100%!!! We stayed here for the Ironman weekend and they even accomodated a 4am breakfast on race day. The TV's at the restaurant came in very handy! The staff, from everyone at the front desk to everyone at the restaurant was extremely friendly! Hotel has also great restaurants at walking distance but we loved eating at the Hotel restaurant due to great food, service and calm atmosphere!!

• Stayed May 2013
Simsbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

This week, our family of 5 traveled several hours from Florida's East Coast for the sole purpose of visiting legoland. We need a decent, convenient, and safe place to stay the night...This Holiday Inn proved to be just that! We walked to Red Lobster for dinner and I used the hotel business center to print Lego tickets that I had purchased on-line. We had no interest in using the mini pool on site. I took other peoples' advice from the above reviews and skipped the free breakfast all together...We went to IHOP a few miles down the road and ate a great breakfast. When a family of 5 is about to embark in a day of touring a theme park- the last thing I need is to start off with a junky breakfast just because I got a coupon for kids to eat free. That is NEVER worth it.... I recvd a small discount by using my AAA membership. There is a coffee maker, hairdryer and fridge in the room. The shampoo, conditioner, and lotion was Bath&Body Works.... It was inexpensive and exceeded our expectations.
We stayed on the 5th floor - I think this helps avoid the sounds of children constantly running up and down the halls.....

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear lbritwahl,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is great to know that you found our location to be convenient. Please be assured that your additional comments have been noted and these will be forwarded to the appropriate departments to consider for further improvements needed at our facility.

Again, many thanks for the review and we would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lake Worth, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised with our entire stay. I was not expecting much from a Holiday Inn but it was a great room. We will definitely stay there again the next time we visit Legoland.

The only complaint I did have was the parking. Do not get back late to the hotel you WILL NOT find a spot. Between the other hotel and the Outback there is no parking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My colleague and I came to the Sun&Fun Aero Exhibition and selected this hotel as it was cost effective.

The room I was allocated was excellent, it had a large bed and separate working/lounge area. The only negative I could find was that the air conditioning was poretty noisy.

The bathroom had a huge shower, and good quality flow from the showerhead, very nice after a warm day to cool off and be ready for the evening. There was plenty of space to lay out toiletries so ideal for a couple.

The WiFi was free and good, had no proplems with connections and quality of signal.

The only food we had in the hotel was breakfast and this was sufficiently varied ot make it a pleasure eating here each morning.

We did have an evening drink after work and I cannot praise highly enough the two members of staff we dealt with regularly. Susan Runnels and RobinLyn Janiszewski were fantastic. They are worth their weight in gold.

Not only were they very personable and friendly, but they assisted us greatly in selecting very good local restaurants for our evening meals, but when in the bar, they were happy just to talk to us. They are a great credit to the Holiday Inn organisation.

When we need to return for the show next year, I know exactly where I will be staying, and that is high praise indeed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Went to this hotel with my family for an overnighter to hit Legoland.. Not a bad choice either! We arrived a bit late, which wasnt a problem. Parking was a bit full, but once again - there arent many hotel options in Winter Haven. Check in was fast, room was fine! Beds were comfortable. Didn't really have any problems at all!

Breakfast was a bit dull. Basic Eggs, and bacon which you have to pay for.. Once again, not a biggie in our situation but always nice to stay at a hotel where at least "kids eat free".

Will stay here again when traveling to Legoland.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

PRO's:
With two exceptions, the staff was friendly helpful.

CON's:
The hotel advertises free Wi-Fi in the rooms. On our first night, there was no available network accessible in our room but we could get on the Internet in the elevator!. The first desk staff we contacted had no idea what to do and did not seem at all interested in helping. Later, by persisting, we finally found one staff member who understood our need and a third who actually knew what the problem was. This person said a Wi-Fi box in the adjacent room needed to be restarted, but this could not be done until the next day. We reminded the morning staff of the problem. The next evening, the problem was fixed.

The breakfast buffet ($7.99) was the worst I have ever seen. Runny scrambled eggs, limp, soggy pre-made waffles in a warming pan (no way to make your own), miscellaneous assortment of stale doughnuts, and sausage with skin so tough cutting it with the supplied plastic knife was difficult. The best choices in the line are fresh (not canned) fruit, a small yoghurt, and the usual small boxes of cereal.

On Sunday morning, when I went down for breakfast, the greeterin the dining area asked for my "ticket." I asked him I found this ticket and was told to look in the key packet. I went back to our room and searched with no success, so I gave up and ate a granola bar, which was better than the typical offerings in the breakfast line anyway. Later I learned that the tickets were for tour group members. It would have been nice if the person blocking the entrance had asked me if I was on a tour at the time instead of assuming that fact.

Little attention is paid to room amenities even though we left healthy daily tips for the cleaning staff. For example, why do hotels leave tissue boxes that are 75 percent depleted and never bother to replenish them?

The room air conditioner is very noisy and there was no way to open the windows at night (we were on fifth floor so security was not an issue). We ended by turning off the air conditioner with the concomitant stuffiness that resulted.

It is a minor thing, but when a hotel charges $.75 for a local telephone call, which involves no human interaction, it indicates to me a "nickel-and-dime” approach to increasing the bottom line.

It is easy to pass the entrance off of Cypress Gardens Boulevard as you come into town and difficult to turn left to exit that way. The smart thing to do is find a side entrance/exit from a small street half a block before the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away as possible from the noisy ice-making machine and the elevator. Verify wi...