“Good hotel, brilliant staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Winter Haven
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, brilliant staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My colleague and I came to the Sun&Fun Aero Exhibition and selected this hotel as it was cost effective.

The room I was allocated was excellent, it had a large bed and separate working/lounge area. The only negative I could find was that the air conditioning was poretty noisy.

The bathroom had a huge shower, and good quality flow from the showerhead, very nice after a warm day to cool off and be ready for the evening. There was plenty of space to lay out toiletries so ideal for a couple.

The WiFi was free and good, had no proplems with connections and quality of signal.

The only food we had in the hotel was breakfast and this was sufficiently varied ot make it a pleasure eating here each morning.

We did have an evening drink after work and I cannot praise highly enough the two members of staff we dealt with regularly. Susan Runnels and RobinLyn Janiszewski were fantastic. They are worth their weight in gold.

Not only were they very personable and friendly, but they assisted us greatly in selecting very good local restaurants for our evening meals, but when in the bar, they were happy just to talk to us. They are a great credit to the Holiday Inn organisation.

When we need to return for the show next year, I know exactly where I will be staying, and that is high praise indeed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Went to this hotel with my family for an overnighter to hit Legoland.. Not a bad choice either! We arrived a bit late, which wasnt a problem. Parking was a bit full, but once again - there arent many hotel options in Winter Haven. Check in was fast, room was fine! Beds were comfortable. Didn't really have any problems at all!

Breakfast was a bit dull. Basic Eggs, and bacon which you have to pay for.. Once again, not a biggie in our situation but always nice to stay at a hotel where at least "kids eat free".

Will stay here again when traveling to Legoland.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

PRO's:
With two exceptions, the staff was friendly helpful.

CON's:
The hotel advertises free Wi-Fi in the rooms. On our first night, there was no available network accessible in our room but we could get on the Internet in the elevator!. The first desk staff we contacted had no idea what to do and did not seem at all interested in helping. Later, by persisting, we finally found one staff member who understood our need and a third who actually knew what the problem was. This person said a Wi-Fi box in the adjacent room needed to be restarted, but this could not be done until the next day. We reminded the morning staff of the problem. The next evening, the problem was fixed.

The breakfast buffet ($7.99) was the worst I have ever seen. Runny scrambled eggs, limp, soggy pre-made waffles in a warming pan (no way to make your own), miscellaneous assortment of stale doughnuts, and sausage with skin so tough cutting it with the supplied plastic knife was difficult. The best choices in the line are fresh (not canned) fruit, a small yoghurt, and the usual small boxes of cereal.

On Sunday morning, when I went down for breakfast, the greeterin the dining area asked for my "ticket." I asked him I found this ticket and was told to look in the key packet. I went back to our room and searched with no success, so I gave up and ate a granola bar, which was better than the typical offerings in the breakfast line anyway. Later I learned that the tickets were for tour group members. It would have been nice if the person blocking the entrance had asked me if I was on a tour at the time instead of assuming that fact.

Little attention is paid to room amenities even though we left healthy daily tips for the cleaning staff. For example, why do hotels leave tissue boxes that are 75 percent depleted and never bother to replenish them?

The room air conditioner is very noisy and there was no way to open the windows at night (we were on fifth floor so security was not an issue). We ended by turning off the air conditioner with the concomitant stuffiness that resulted.

It is a minor thing, but when a hotel charges $.75 for a local telephone call, which involves no human interaction, it indicates to me a "nickel-and-dime” approach to increasing the bottom line.

It is easy to pass the entrance off of Cypress Gardens Boulevard as you come into town and difficult to turn left to exit that way. The smart thing to do is find a side entrance/exit from a small street half a block before the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away as possible from the noisy ice-making machine and the elevator. Verify wi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear MissouriTraveler25,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations during your stay. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Winter Haven you will give our hotel another try.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
St. Catharines, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed one night with plans to go to Legoland. We arrived late in the evening and parking was harder than it should have been. There's just enough spots for everyone with the hotel being full. The hotel itself is a little on the run down/old side. The room seemed a little musty. We had 2 beds and needed a roll away cot. WiFi here was a little spotty and there was no free breakfast in the morning like they offer adjacent to the hotel at Hampton Inn. Not a rip off or complete disappointment, but not highly recommended either.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear AYC2112,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad you liked our convenient location. I am deeply sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Crossville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I waited over a week to write this review, as I wanted to let the incident mellow. It didn't, so here goes my review of the Holiday Inn in Winter Haven, FL.

My mom died on a Monday, so we went online to book a hotel in Winter Haven, FL that night. We had stayed at the Hampton for 3 nights in January, as my mother was in failing health. Hampton was about $100 a night with a wonderful breakfast buffet. However, the Hampton was full (Legoland plus college spring baseball training camps)

We then remembered that there was a Holiday Inn next to the Hampton. We have stayed at several Holiday Inn Express hotels in the past. So, we got online and booked the Holiday Inn hotel for 2 nights, because at that time we were unsure of the calling hours, Mass & burial times. ($144 per night plus TX which seemed a bit pricey - but we assumed we would get a few extra perks) Not!

By the time we got to Winter Haven, we knew the schedule for mom's burial. We checked in, stating that we had booked two night because of a funeral for a close family member and that we only needed 1 night.

The exact response we got was: "You booked online with a charge card and you have already paid for it."
NO empathy what-so-ever
NO I'm sorry for your loss
NO offer to refund the second night's charge
NO let me call my manager and see if something can be worked out.

Then to top it off, we found out that Holiday Inn does not have a complmentary breakfast buffet. Every Holiday Inn Express we have stayed in has had a complmentary breakfast, I had just assumed the Holiday Inn's were the same, but I was wrong. They suggested their restaurant Cafe Blu's continental breakfast for $6.99 per person. Please check my photo of their other breakfast offerings.

When we got to our room, we went to call my siblings.Luckily we noticed that local calls were $.75 each. What? I have never had a hotel charge for local calls. Actually we prefer Drury Hotels - where not only are local calls free, but also an hour of long distance calls are free. Unfortunately no Drury hotels in Winter Haven.

Room was comfortable, bathroom was very nice, no problem there. There was, however, a stain on the seat cushion of the chair near the window, a coating of dust on the light fixtures in the bathroom and from Wednesday when we checked in until we left on Friday morning there was a broken piece of a luggage wheel laying on the floor of the elevator. Also a large black streak on the wallpaper in our hallway.

We will never stay at this hotel when we are back in the area to visit the rest of our family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
First let me start with saying how truly sorry I am for the loss in your family, I know how stressful and painful that time can be and then to have to deal with other issues I am sure added to that and I am sorry for that.

I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay at my Holiday Inn. I know sometimes it does get confusing between a full service Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express when it concerns the breakfast.

I hope sometime you will give us another try and see that we really are a wonderful place with a great staff.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Good: Everything. The people were friendly and helpful. The hotel and rooms are clean and they get you anything you need. The breakfast buffet is not extravagant but is complete enough to get a good day’s start. Also, the price is great.

Bad: Nothing.

I would stay here again any day of the week.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor and faced the Hampton Inn which was fine. A garbage truck came in the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We booked it as we were going to legoland. Wonderful check in, very kind lady, close to legoland. However we arrived tonight to find a hige group of men hanging in the entrance, pool and bar being VERY loud, smoking and drinking with cases of beers. I inquiered and the is some sort of tournament going on but we seem to be the only ones trying to sleep and who have children in the hotel. Would have NEVER come had i known this. The lady in the friont desk says there is nothing she can do, and she herself was covering her ears! Scary can't wait to leave tomorrow. Would have been great hotel if it did not feel like a college bar.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
I wish to thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so sorry you felt like it was a college bar. It is a tournament of senior softball and wounded vets. I am sure that after the end of the day they were relaxing after their games,in our lobby bar. I am so sorry you were unhappy and I hope you will come back another time and enjoy your stay.

Been to Holiday Inn Winter Haven? Share your experiences!