“College” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Winter Haven
Santiago, Chile
“College”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We booked it as we were going to legoland. Wonderful check in, very kind lady, close to legoland. However we arrived tonight to find a hige group of men hanging in the entrance, pool and bar being VERY loud, smoking and drinking with cases of beers. I inquiered and the is some sort of tournament going on but we seem to be the only ones trying to sleep and who have children in the hotel. Would have NEVER come had i known this. The lady in the friont desk says there is nothing she can do, and she herself was covering her ears! Scary can't wait to leave tomorrow. Would have been great hotel if it did not feel like a college bar.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
I wish to thank you for your review of our hotel. I am so sorry you felt like it was a college bar. It is a tournament of senior softball and wounded vets. I am sure that after the end of the day they were relaxing after their games,in our lobby bar. I am so sorry you were unhappy and I hope you will come back another time and enjoy your stay.

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Somers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Positives: Very clean hotel. Quiet and modern rooms. Very friendly check in.
Negative: HUGE --housekeeping knocked on our door at 8 AM even though we had a do not disturb sign on the door. Woke up our 2 year old who had so much trouble falling asleep that night. Unforgiveable. What are they thinking? I called to complain and was told that I would get a call back from management but I never heard from them.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
First let me tell you thank you for your review. I am so sorry that every part of your stay was not above & beyond your expectations. It is not acceptable to have anyone knocking on your door with a DND on the door. I will be adressing that with my staff to make sure each & every employee knows our rules and best practices!!! I hope in the future you will give us the chance to make this right!!!
Chattanooga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked this hotel because when I called I specifically asked two different people if the hotel was next to Legoland and was told YES. I was visiting family in FL, they live in Garden Grove in Winter Haven so this would be the closest hotel to their home. The hotel is actually located in downtown Winter Haven, they have a shuttle to Legoland! The hotel overall is okay, it's very clean and the staff were all very nice and friendly. Unfortunately something they clean the carpet with or deoderizer or something did not mix well with me so I ended up with a bad headache and allergy type congestion and stuffiness. The beds in my room - yes I tried both of them - were extremely uncomfortable, the sheets were a little rough for me and the air conditioner was so loud I couldn't hear the TV. The TV had a guide that showed what channels were there but nothing that told what was on the channels so this was bothersome. I was booked into the hotel for 4 nights but checked out after the first night. They were very nice and refunded my money because with the allergy type symptoms I was having I was very stuffy. Ten minutes after leaving and being outside and in my car, I could breathe normal again. I also think this hotel is overpriced but that is just my opinion!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
bwillard, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winter Haven, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
First I want to say thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. I am VERY sorry you were misinformed about our Location. I don't like to have any of our guest given false information. I am glad to know that my staff took such great care of you. It is a shame that your allergies flared up from our cleaning products. I really would like to know what I could do to make you a haapy guest. That is and always will be my goal to make my guest happy!!!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay very much! The staff is very experienced in the service they provide. Upon check in Veronica made us feel welcome and offered toprovide anything that we needed to make our stay comfortable. She is a sweet heart! Next stop was the cocktail bar for a drink before settling into our room for the evenening. Susan is a great lady!! She made us a couple of wonderful drinks and offered some friendly conversation. We will definately make a point to stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited Legoland and I can sum up this hotel in a word: easy. The room was nice, w/ fridge and B+ furnishings. Bathroom C+. Comfortable beds; sometimes I take for granted bed size. These are queens, not double / full. But despite queen beds, the room had plenty of space. In the morning, we could grab breakfast quickly / easily and had a free, friendly shuttle to drop us off at Legoland (<5 min ride on new shuttle bus owned by Legoland w/ cold a/c and big comfy individual seats). Again, easy, easy.
> only 1 CON: FOOD at the onsite restaurant had huge range, from "B+" dinner (both the Quesadilla and the Shrimp Dinner) to "F" breakfast buffet (just awful, except for what we ended up taking "to go": coffee/tea, yogurt and packaged pastry / muffins). BUT it was a really slow time (<50% capacity) so maybe they were cutting costs and maybe breakfast is acceptable in peak summer.
>Also, hotel room cost was about $30-35 higher than I would have expected for comparable hotel (w/out regard to location). But, again, it is worth it if EASY is a priority (it was for us, w/ 2 well-loved, but high maintenance kids).

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is neat and clean and fairly basic. The rooms should go for about $75 a night (at the most) but they charge double that because they are located just a few miles from Legoland. There are few hotel choices if you want to be next to Legoland and this Holiday Inn certainly takes advantage of that. They give out kids eat free at the hotel coupons. We had breakfast here the first morning and it was pretty bad so we didn't go back the next day. There are only 2 elevators and 1 was out of service during our entire stay so there was a long wait in the mornings. Staff was friendly and housekeeping did a very good job. This is a no-smoking hotel which is a big plus in my book.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel, traveling from Miami, through Winter Haven, on our way to Legoland. We arrived around 8pm, check-in was easy. The kids received a small Lego pack each and we're really thrilled. It was a nice touch, that added to the excitement of visiting Legoland (especially for my 8yo son who is crazy about Lego, and more excited about Legoland, than Disneyworld!). Room was your standard Holiday Inn, met expectations in that regard. Good quality and everything you need. The main disappointment was the breakfast. We were given a kids eat free voucher on check-in, so were encouraged to eat in the hotel restaurant. The food quality was pretty poor. Knives, forks and cups were plastic! On the positive side it is about a 5 minute drive to Legoland, and there is a shuttle that seemed to go quite regularly. I would give this hotel 3.5/5.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Winter Haven? Share your experiences!