“Another trip to OCN - Service is hit or miss but the golf is great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge

Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winter Garden
Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge
You added Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16301 Phil Ritson Way, Winter Garden, FL 34787   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Winter Garden
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Another trip to OCN - Service is hit or miss but the golf is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Out of the courses we play on each trip, OCN is our favorite. We like playing both courses seprated by a lunch and they are always in the best shape. The service can really be hit or miss. Checking in was great at the proshop and the rangers were a lot of fun to talk with. The food and beverage service is probably the worst out of any of the 5 courses we played. The close the outside patio service down from 12-1, which is fine except they were holding an event so the only option for food was a sandwich off the cart. Fine, except we were in between rounds and nobody mentioned this when we checked in.

We will keep coming back for the golf but they need to hire someone to better train and coordinate the F&B service.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Drove over from Tampa yesterday to take part in an exclusive golf charity Tournament Universal Studios was putting on at Orange County National today. The course was awesome and the greens were rolling like 11. The guys in the shop said Champions Tour q-school was coming next week. I stayed at the lodge several years ago when I came over for another tournament and it was a bit lackluster. They have spent some serious cash lately as everything on property looks brand new. Cart girls were awesome as well!

Room Tip: Courtyard or Putting green view is nice, Fire pit and grills in courtyard
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
St. Pete, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

It takes a lot for me to give a one star rating. A lot. I give folks in the service industry the benefit of the doubt in most instances but I simply loath apathy when it comes to customer service. A group of 12 of us stayed a three night stay in late June 2013. On day one I notified the staff at the lodge that the toilet in my room didn't flush. Went and played golf, ate dinner, returned to room 8 hours later and not a thing had been done. When I reported it again they said "you moved to room 308." I informed them that I did not move to room 308, I was still in 309. I was told, "do you want to move to 309?" No, I said, I wanted my toilet fixed because I didn't want to move all my stuff and my friend's stuff after 36 holes of golf. Her response was "well, I don't know what I can do since it's night time." Really? Genius response! I told her I wanted the key to 309 and I would use it for the rest room when needed. Her response was "oh, that's a good idea."

Day one on the course was also less than par. The beverage cart girl "Katherine" comes up to our cart peeks into the cooler attached to the cart and proclaims "it's illegal to bring your own beer on the course." We said, "sorry we didn't know, we're staying at the Lodge and we just brought a few beers along." She says "well I am going to tell the range and they will make you pour it out!" For some reason a friend of mine says "how about I give you a twenty dollar bill and you forget about it." "Absolutely" she says. Then says "don't tell on me and I wont tell on you guys." She then says "I hate it when guys try to offer me just a dollar, I'm like really? A dollar?" Later on we learned that she pulled the same trick with the guys in the two groups behind us, but she fleeced them for $40. The next day she tries the same thing, but we remind her that she told us yesterday about bringing beer and forced us to bribe her. My friend tells her that we didn't bring any beer and he just wants to buy a 6-pack. He gives her a $5 tip on the $20 worth beers and she says incredulously "that's it? $5 bucks?" In another instance of bad service I went to the clubhouse for breakfast the second day and sat down. There was one server working the bar. I sat there for 20 minutes at a table (there were people at the table right next to me eating breakfast ) and the server didn't come over once. So I got up and left. As I'm walking out a guy comes in and asks if he can have breakfast and she says "sure, but only at the bar." Wow? Why didn't you tell me to come to the bar to order? Or maybe put up a sign that says I have to order from the bar instead of make eye contact with me 5 times and ignore me?

Later in our stay we ask to speak to the manager after the two days of bad service. His name was Frederick, I believe he was the chef/acting beverage manager (and you better not call him Fred or he'll correct you). What a pompous clown. In true, apathetic Orange County National fashion instead of focusing on the poor customer service provided by his team he instead explains that bringing your own beverages is prohibited. Yes, Freddy we get it and we followed the rules once we were made aware of them. What about soliciting a bribe and extorting money from customers? What about the money lost by the club to Katherine's bank account. Someone wrote on tripadvisor about bad management here in years past and to my chagrin I have to say that nothing has changed. It's not all employees, Amber at the restaurant was delightful. The actual golf course, practice range, practice greens, short course, and putting greens are very good, but if you're looking for resort quality service there are too many rotten oranges in the grove at Orange County National.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

First the golf, this is why you are looking to go right.

• Excellent golf courses. Playable at all skill levels. Want tougher? Go back a tee. 7400+ yards at sea level is a test.
• Great practice facilities. There is no yardage on the range. There are too many tees and possible pin position combos to have useful yardage markers. If you want to practice for game improvement you'll need a range finder
• The short game facilities are excellent. The practice shipping greens on the north side, closest to the lodge have no rough to chip from. The short game area on the west side of the range has rough. This setup is closer to what you will find on the course.
• The Cat is far tougher than the panther. (This is an editorial comment)
• Practice long bunker shots and long lag putts. Both courses present both challenges regularly.
• No one reminds you of this but please fix your ball marks and fill your divots on the fairway. It is the right thing to do.

The Lodge
• Accommodations are comfortable but a little thin. Beds are comfortable, water pressure is good, there is lots of hot water, and towels are fresh and abundant. Decor is dated and the TV's are old CRT's with a basic cable package. The golf channel is one of the available selections.
• Rooms are comfortable but full of unnecessary furniture. I mean really who uses a desk at a golf resort?
• There is free Wi-Fi in both the lodge and the clubhouse. No password required
• Lodge reception service is good.
• There is a local pizza place that delivers
• You need to know about the pizza because OCN is in the middle of nowhere. The club house closes at 7 (kitchen earlier than that)
• The food at the club house is mediocre. Fine for one day but you would not want to eat there for 3 days.
• The coffee is terrible. If you roll Starbucks, bring your own.

Other
• The stay and play package includes range balls but the back shop does not seem to know that. TIP, have the pro shop guys note on your green fee ticket that you are a lodge guest on the receipt. that way they'll know for sure to hook you up with balls
• You cannot bring your own food and beverage onto the course. No one tells you this but you need to know to avoid hassle.
• Absolutely take advantage of the 6 beers for 5 beer price from the cart. $20 gets you 6 import cans but you can choose pint cans of Stella Artois. A no brainer. That is like 8 beers for the price of 5. And your cart has a cooler full of ice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the range are going to be the quietest
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

March of 2013 was the 3rd year in a row for four guys to jump start their golf season in FLA at OCN. Three years ago, we swore we would never go anywhere else. But last year was a struggle as our stay was disrupted by confusion and poor service caused by new management and ownership. This year, OCN was back in full swing. The new greens were the best we have played in our three stays. The rooms in the lodge have been spruced up nicely. They all sported new linens and bedding, a nightly fire pit was cranking in the courtyard, and the staff was very helpful. This isn't the Ritz, but I can't imagine there is a better golf value anywhere with the Play and Stay package. if you want to roll out of bed onto the golf course, stay in comfortable and clean accommodations, and test your skills on two outstanding golf courses, then this is the place. Consensus amongst the squad, was we are coming back for year #4!

Welcome back OCN...

Improvements? Would love to see some flat screens in the bed rooms, and if they could keep the 19th hole open until 8 or 9 it would eliminate the need to drive someplace for dinner.... at least on Friday and Saturday.

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard or practice green exposure.
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is the seond time we played Orange County National Panther Lakes. It truly is a wonderful place to golf and would recommend it to anyone. The course is in great condition and the staff there was very helpful and pleasant. We haven't gotten the chance to play Crooked Cat but hope to do so soon. We didn't stay at their facilities but it is an easy drive from the Orlando area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just finishing a golf trip here. The rooms have been nicely spruced up with better quality linens. Its obvious they have invested a lot of money upgrading the grounds and facilities. The golf courses were in fantastic shape.

Toby and Mike went out of their way to make our group feel welcome. This is the best deal going. Staying at the lodge makes the trip way easier.

Thanks OCN, we will be back!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the putting green for night putting
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge? Share your experiences!