“Not meant for the business traveler” 2 of 5 stars

Edgewater Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   99 West Plant St, Winter Garden, FL 34787   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Winter Garden
Columbia, MD
“Not meant for the business traveler”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Overall it seemed more run down than historic. The breakfast, included in the price, was delicious and a nice touch. But for the business traveler, there must be a more modern and comfortable place to stay in the Winter Garden area. I would not stay again.

• Liked — location in historic Winter Garden
  • Disliked — it was sort of run down
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
columbus, ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

This was a great hotel! I loved everything about it... the location was amazing (food, farmer's market, shopping, antique shops, running trails, etc.)
The hotel was very unique and all the rooms were different and really comfortable. It felt like I was staying at my grandma's house.

• Liked — Historic
  • Disliked — nothing... it was all great
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

I travel a lot for work (with a baby lately) and usually stay at hotels ranging from Hampton Inn type to Hyatt. This B&B was such a refreshingly charming place to stay! The staff was helpful, friendly, and accessible. The breakfast was delicious. The historic hotel is beautifully restored - the current owners and operators have done a wonderful job. The furnishings fit the era and historic restoration as well (my 10-month-old sat on President Lincoln's sofa)! Great internet access and even a place for my small business meeting. I will definitely stay here they next time I travel to the area.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

They took wonderful care of us. We were getting married across the street and they helped us out so much. They let us take over the place for wedding photos. The breakfast is great!

Stayed December 2008
Montgomery
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

It was a lovely place, with customer service above and beyond what I have ever received elsewhere.

I arrived in the middle of a festival, and the streets were blocked off , so I couldn't get my car to the hotel parking lot. After parking a couple of blocks away, I walked to the hotel, and told them about my situation. The young lady who checked me in, actually walked to my car with me, directed me in the back way, and made sure a parking space was cleared for me in their parking lot.

I loved the antique furnishings of the room, and the breakfast was wonderful. (I'd planned on having a quick bite and then leaving, but the other guests were so interesting, that I sat there for over an hour).

I would have liked to have a coffee pot in the room, since I usually have my coffee as soon as my feet hit the floor. ( And a hairdryer and a clock would also have been nice.) However, it was a "step back in time" that I truly enjoyed.

• Liked — see review
  • Disliked — see review
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

My husband had come upon the lovely little town of Winter Garden, Florida while riding his bike on the West Orange Trail. Later we went back for a day and decided we wanted to come back for an entire weekend.

He and I, along with our puppy Snowball, stayed at the Edgewater Hotel. This is a beautifully restored historic building - inside and out. Clearly the restoration is a labor of love for the owner. The rooms are clean and beautifully decorated. The second floor is decorated in a 1920's theme and the third floor (which opens in Dec) will be decorated, I understand, in a 1940's theme.

From our arrival until the moment we left, we received nothing but the best personalized service. The young people who live and run the bed and breakfast are extremely attentive and helpful - one even lent me her personal blow dryer for our entire trip. (It's a B&B really - so some usual hotel amenities, such as blow dryers, are not in the rooms). The breakfast each morning was delicious, and we spent most of the morning chatting with other guests who were also having an amazing experience.

Winter Garden itself is Main Street America at it's best - with music in every corner, art festivals, friendly merchants in off beat shops! For dog lovers - it's a dog friendly town - Snowball loved the long walks on the West Orange Trail and meeting other pooches in the town square.

If you're visiting the Orlando area, but want to get away from the "tourist" side in the evenings - book your stay at the Edgewater Hotel!

Donna Cutting
Author of "The Celebrity Experience: Insider Secrets to Delivering Red-Carpet Customer Service."

• Liked — The amazing customer service
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

We just returned from a weekend at the Edgewater while in Winter Garden for a family wedding - and couldn't have found a more wonderful place to stay. We love finding historic B&Bs instead of chain hotels but normally pay extra for the experience as we need 2 rooms. This one, to our delight, was less expensive than a chain -even with 2 adjoining rooms to accomodate our family of 4. Breakfast was great - something for everyone's tastes - and provided a perfect way for the 14 family members staying there to meet in the mornings and eat together. Quiet, clean, with unobtrusive staff who were there quickly when you needed something. Nice, safe area with walking/running trails, shops, restaurants, etc. Not far from Disney if you're headed in that direction, although it feels far from the noise and craziness of Orlando. Easy to reach from the interstate and turnpike.

Stayed October 2008

Been to Edgewater Hotel? Share your experiences!