“A step back in time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Winter Garden
Sydney, Australia
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here while visiting Disneyland and Epcot, just 25 mins away. What a great B and B. With very friendly and accommodating staff. Breakfast was ordered and delivered very promptly to the dining room, where we chatted with other guests. The rooms where restored 1920 accommodation and very clean with very comfortable bedding, with most adequate bathroom facilities but if you want the latest modern conveniences this may not be to your taste. My husband and I found great atmosphere here in this gorgeous little town of Winter Garden and we had three great days in a great hotel/b and b. Would certainly stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The hotel is in the main street of this little town which I believe hosts many activities during wee...

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Edgewater Hotel in late August for 8 days while awaiting the birth of our grandson. The only superlative I can think of to describe our stay is superb. We loved everything about the place. The staff was friendly and very attentive, the location is excellent and the building itself is a sight to see. We love historic buildings and traditional downtowns. The Edgewater is located smack dab in the middle of downtown Winter Garden and is on the West Orange trail which is great for walking, running or biking. There are two bike shops at least one of which rents bikes. Lots of cool shops and very good restaurants. In the hotel building itself there are two wonderful restaurants which are both highly rated (for good reason). There is also an old fashioned ice cream shop and a barber shop. The rooms are nicely appointed and the entire hotel is very tastefully decorated. Breakfast is included and it is a full breakfast cooked to order. I like my eggs done a certain way and they were prepared flawlessly every day. As I said above, the locatin is excellent. You can get to the parks with no problem and very little traffic. It is also quite easy to get to the Orlando Airport. If you want a unique experience and are tired of cookie cutter hotels with no character, and you want to be away from the hectic pace of the parks, the Edgewater is the place for you. My wife and I love Winter Garden so much that we recently purchased a place there. So, my only regret is that we probably won't be staying at the Edgewater much but will definitely rrecommend it to our family and friends. We travel alot and have been all over the world. The Edgewater is in the top two or three of our very favorite places to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The hotel was in wonderful shape, considering how old it is, and the rooms were quite charming, if small. They had a lovely feel about them, but something about the whole place seemed run down and a bit dreary. Plus - there were rubber sheets on the bed which was just horrible!!
We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite and there was nothing romantic or honeymoon-ish about it at all. As a matter of fact, the girls on housekeeping kept trying to come in on Sunday morning.

Other than that the girls on the staff were lovely and incredibly hospitable , and breakfasts were a joy.
Our window looked out on mainstreet and we saw a great little parade on Saturday morning.
Loved loved loved Winter Garden, and if I was back here, I might stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Mainstreet - it's the only view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Historic_Edgewater, Owner at Edgewater Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time for that. The building is 85 years old, and we have worked to restore it to the look and feel of the time when it first opened (with, of course, the modern conveniences we have come to expect today). The building had been almost completely abandoned for 30 years, and it required drastic restoration efforts to save it and return it back to as near its original state in the 1920s as possible. As a result, some of the woodworking is preserved in its historic state. We make every effort to preserve the building by not replacing but restoring it as best we can to its original condition.

While we pride ourselves on the hotel being clean, the building will never be new. Just about every month, we completely repaint and refresh a room in the hotel on a revolving schedule to make certain that they do not become run-down.

Based on the feedback we have received in person or online, most people have described the atmosphere as familiar, relaxing, and comforting. It is our goal to create an environment that makes everyone feel welcome. We do understand that some people look at historic buildings and antique settings and it does not appeal to them. Not all people have the same likes and dislikes. A lot of people say the building reminds them of the house they grew up in or their grandparent’s house. People who are drawn here and make it a deliberate destination have an association with the past that is pleasant and welcoming. With the building being our home that is the impression that we strive to make. We encourage guests to interact with the staff, especially at breakfast time, to get the most out of their stay. As we say, the building is a living museum and the staff is your tour guide.

We are a bit confused by the rubber sheets. There are no rubber sheets in the hotel. We provide only high thread count premium sheets in all of the rooms. However, you could be referring to the fact that there is a waterproof mattress protector beneath the mattress pad. Having those on the mattresses is state law, and it is one that we agree with. We want to do everything that we can to ensure the sanitary condition of the rooms and the mattress protector keeps the mattresses fresh and clean for our guests. The sheets, blankets, and pads can all be cleaned regularly, but you cannot clean a mattress in the same way, so it is essential to have that in place.

We checked the records of the housekeeping staff for the Sunday morning you referenced. The last thing that we want is to intrude on a guest’s stay in any way. However, on the morning of your requested check-out, the room was occupied almost three hours after the check-out time of noon. We want to give everyone as much time in the room as possible, but the check-in time for that room is 3:00, and we need to make sure that the room is completely cleaned, refreshed, and ready to go for the next guest. We apologize that you felt intruded upon, but we have an obligation to guests checking in that their room be available to them at check-in time. If this was a misunderstanding, we certainly do apologize for that.

We are glad that you enjoyed the town, the hospitality, and the breakfast, and we do hope to see you again.
Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Awesome place and staff,way cool small town America.
Will be back and sending family and friends there way.
3rd.Saturday of the month the whole town is a hot rod/muscle car show
that was really great,good food,music,nice people

Dunedin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were looking for a place not too far from where we live to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was becoming very difficult to find a suitable, and affordable place to stay, when a friend made a few recommendations. I wrote them down, and then couldn't find the piece of paper the next day. I remembered the first part of the town was "Winter", it was on a lake, and near Orlando. I consulted a map, and decided it must have been Winter Garden, Florida. I Checked out the hotels, and saw the "The Historic Edgewater Hotel" was well rated on TripAdvisor, so decided to give the place a call. They had just one room available, so I booked it for two nights. The next day I told my friend, who then advised me that it WAS NOT Winter Garden she recommended, but another town! Oh, dear. Decided to stick with it, as I had no time to cancel and rebook in the "right" town.
When we arrived in Winter Garden, we parked in the convenient hotel lot, and walked into the lobby without our luggage. Husband was very nervous, as it seemed a bit dark and dreary feeling inside the lobby. He tried to get me to agree that we would definitely leave if we did not like the room. After checking in, we went out to get our luggage from the car. A young woman behind us was talking on her phone, telling the person on the other end "it's the scariest hotel ever!"...not a great introduction, for sure. It did not help in my trying to be positive and cheerful in front of my husband when I already had a few doubts myself.
The young woman who checked us in took us, along with our luggage, up in the antique Otis elevator. The area where guests actually stay is all on the second floor. There is a bright cheerful large common area where you are greeted by several cages of birds, a working Grandfather clock, as well as an expanded dining table, where a terrific breakfast is served. Our hostess let us know about the complimentary bottles of water in the refrigerator, as well as the snacks, and coffee we could help ourselves to any time. Next was our room. I was not expecting much, as I knew that it was the last room available. The room was small. A double bed, and a single bed. Really meant for two people who were not used to sleeping in the same bed. It really didn't matter, we just used the other bed to hold our luggage, and it worked out just fine. Although small, the room had everything we needed, and we quickly adjusted to the lack of space. Initially, I know that my husband wanted to cancel and find another hotel, but what a mistake that would have been.
It turned out that we had a terrific time in Winter Garden, and the Edgewater Hotel, which is really more like a Bed & Breakfast, is a real treasure. It might take a little time to adjust to something different, but definitely well worth the effort.
Don't want to go on for too long here, so let me list some of our favorite experiences during our stay:
***Loved the breakfast. You choose a time for your breakfast beginning as early as 7:00am, and sit at the large dining table at the time you reserved. Both days, there were others at the same large table, at varying stages of their meal. You order your breakfast, and within about 10 minutes, it is served. Meanwhile, it was great chatting with the other guests. It was especially interesting our first day, as there were people who were filming a movie in town, and we learned all about that process.
****Our room, #217 was cute, and adequate, but after getting a peak at other rooms, with similar pricing, booking earlier would have definitely brought us a bit more charm, and much more space. The rooms, and entire hotel felt and looked very clean.
****Lovely staff, who are also the owners, and seem to be an extended family, who live on the third floor. They work very hard, and do all they can to accommodate your requests.
*****Winter Garden is a charming, old-fashioned kind of town as well. We loved the restaurants,Friday night concert, and were greeted by a lively Homecoming parade, complete with a marching band, Saturday morning, as we made our way to the fabulous Farmer's Market just a half a block or so from the hotel.
*****West Orange Trail-a walking, rollerblading, and biking trail, that runs right in front of the Edgewater...Brought one bike with us, and rented mine from a terrific bike shop right next door. They were very accommadating to me needs, and it cost me just $12.00 plus tax to have an interesting almost 3 hour ride on a beautifiul trail. They state that they charge $6.00 an hour for the bike rental, but refused to take more when I returned the bike.
*****Our two and a half day experience in Winter Garden could not have been better. We'll be back, and share the good news with others. If only all my mistakes turned out so well!

Room Tip: We stayed in #217. It was the last room available, so I didn't expect the best room. It turned...
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here for my husband's birthday celebration. We had room 214, which overlooked Main Street in downtown Winter Garden. The entire Inn was beautiful and the staff were spot on, made you feel at home instantly. We will be returning soon. An added bonus for me, the Inn smelled just like my grandmother's house when I was growing up, it brought back such pleasant, wonderful memories...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Edgewater Hotel? Share your experiences!