“The food was excellent, but the wait was a killer” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Easton, Maryland, United States
“The food was excellent, but the wait was a killer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

It's always hard for me to review restaurants and criticize their poor service. After all, perhaps their chef was sick that day and they were struggling? My review might not be representative of a typical experience at this restaurant. However, it also might well be, so take from it what you will.

I went to Galanga Thai on a Sunday night. We ordered our food (takeout) at 6:30, and were told that it would be ready at 7:00. We got there at 7:00, but by 7:30, unfortunately, we were still waiting. A look around the restaurant showed that almost no one waiting there had food either. Several patrons came up to the hostess to complain. Both employees we interacted with seemed very harried and I was very glad that I wasn't actually eating on the premises that night: at least when I got my food, I could drive home.

But, on the other hand, the food was terrific. Amazing massaman curry. Panang very good too. Delicious satay. Awesome noodle dishes. I really, really liked their food. If they hadnt made me wait an hour for it while avoiding eye contact, they probably would have gotten five from me. As it stands, they get three.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

West Palm Beach, Florida
“Nice place, would come again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Had dinner with a large group of friends. Their private room is not that big and would comfortable hold 12 people, we were a few more and it was tight. However, the service was GREAT, the food was good and we would definitely come back again. The only thing I didn't like about their private room was it's in the back of the restaurant, you have to walk past the kitchen to get there and it was very hot. There's absolutely no room to mingle, so you can't walk around, you can only sit and eat.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“We thought it would be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We got a groupon for dinner here. $20 for $40 worth of food. The food was just run of the mill for the price. I had drunken noodles and the person who went with me had seafood pad Thai. We've both had better door at tee-jay Thai and sushi in Wilton Manors. Even Pei Wei's pad Thai is better. At the end of the meal with a total cost of $55 we were unsatisfied. We probably won't go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good late night spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Really nice ambiance and very nice food. Plenty of room if you get there before 7:30/8:00, after that there is usually a wait for a table.
Service is good, but can be distracted. Sushi is lovely , well prepared, fresh and beautifully presented.

Visited July 2013
Fort Lauderdale
“A Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I live just a few miles from Galanga but had traditionally avoided it due to the (negative) posted reviews. A deals-website offered a special price, so we figured we'd give it a try. The menu is comprehensive, with a combination of Thai and sushi - We chose to order some of each. The pad thai was very good, as was the sushi roll. With so many complaints about "high" prices, I'd have to say that I found their prices pretty representative of most sushi places in South Florida (our pre-discounted price for two people was just under $50). I would agree with many reviewers that the exterior of the restaurant leaves a lot to be desired, but the interior is attractive. Our server was attentive and friendly. Overall, it was a positive experience and I'd anticipate returning.

• Visited August 2013