“Mark, Read our Honeymoon paradise” 5 of 5 stars

You added Cocos Hotel Antigua to your Saves list
Cocos Hotel Antigua
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Valley Church, Antigua   |
London, United Kingdom
“Mark, Read our Honeymoon paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Ok, I will start with the staff , absolutely wonderful , all friendly and polite with simply NO exceptions , even the owner who was often there to speak to , old guy with white hair very approachable ,food was wonderful me and my new wife certainly went home plumper and rounder than when we arrived and she is a vegetarian , the menus and dish of the day board are laid out with dishes that are available but as the vegi issue was there the Chef never hesitated in providing suitable food for my wife, the room was just what we hoped for, private ,quiet boutique styled with the traditional Antiguan Island look, outside shower which overlooked the sea wonderful,
NOW our room DIDNT HAVE air conditioning apparently they were the rooms at the top of the hill, but we wanted the beach/sea front room when we booked ,it certainly was , if it wasn't for the rocks over the balcony I could have jumped straight into the sea, HOWEVER our room which I only found out on the day of departure was the only one which had a (PRIVATE PLUNG POOL) used this so much and it overlooked the sea so it was just amazing to cool off in your own zone and admire this wonderful country, there are plenty of excursions to do but my favourite was our helicopter ride over the volcanic island of Monserrat , my honeymoon was in May I and was just thinking about it again and decided that I should share our experience for others to follow, honestly I cannot think of a single thing I didn't like, I normally get sick of the heat after a while as I'm from England but I was just so relaxed and constantly refreshed by the restaurant and beach bar I could care less and put my feet up , me and my wife plan to go back we did say our 10th anniversary but I might pressure her for the 5th instead, thank you cocos 5*************************************

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
duncan bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I went from oct13th to the 20th , Coco's is all about relaxation , Every employee was great and helpful , the girl who works the beach bar is the best drink maker and before your drink was done she knew what you wanted . The beach is incredible , very private and the colour in pictures doesn't do it justice loved walking up the beach to jolly harbour . Not a lot of entertainment but few nights threw the week they have bands which were real good . The food is really good no buffets here . We had the premium plus room with AC and I'm sure glad we did as it was hot . The out door shower was awesome , showering as you look out to an incredible beach nothing beats that , if you have trouble with mobility I recommend getting a room close to the bottom as the climb up can be pretty tough , the only recommendation I can give the hotel would be to maybe get a Golf Cart . I also wanted to mention the workers here are awesome and you get to be friends with them , by far the nicest people I have ever come across on vacation , I don't get why a lot of the European's demand excellent service yet don't tip , these people work hard and I tipped and I got awesome service , but the people that didn't tip got the same service as me , the workers here work hard to make sure you have a great time and its from the heart , I hope the owner reads this and knows what a wicked staff he has .

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Staff/Service: Coco’s staff was very friendly. They seemed to have been short staffed at the time that we were there, so there was a wait at times for service. Many of the staff members still made great rapports with us and Jen at the front desk was especially helpful quick to help us out when we needed it. The downside of the trip was that there was rarely anyone tending the bars because they were short staffed. Coco’s only has a beach bar and a main patio bar, and one blender (if it was working). So we rarely were able to get mixed iced drinks (pina coladas, etc).

Cleanliness: The overall cleanliness of the resort was alright. Beach towels were readily available for exchange every day. The restaurant and kitchen were always clean. The only issue I had was our rooms were not that thoroughly cleaned, the floors and counters were only spot cleaned. With the amazing beach I guess they figured no one would be using the pool so we were advised not to because they said it wasn't cleaned. They were right, it was green all along the sides and we had to use the net ourselves to clean the debris out.

Location: Coco’s is located on a beautiful beach with amazing, clear water and white sand. All of the buildings are against the hill side which provides amazing views. It is at the end of a U-shaped beach so we got to enjoy a secluded piece of beach. There were not many other guests, as the resort only has 27 or so rooms. But if the beach got a little crowded we were able to walk down to the other end of the beach, about a half an hour’s walk and it was very intimate and beautiful.

Food: The food was amazing! Although meal times were far apart, each meal served plenty of food. Plus we got good exercise going to and from our room. The chef offered a good variety for every meal. I recommend to the picky travelers to try something new! My husband and I would never have eaten half the things we tried in Antigua, but if you don’t have an open mind you will truly miss out. They do have alternatives such as pasta and salads if you aren't adventurous. They accommodated my husband’s lactose intolerance and gave him many options and substitutions. Our mini fridge was always restocked. On one day we got snacks, but it would have been appreciated more often since the only restaurant on the resort had very specific and spaced out meal times.

Sleep Quality: We did not sleep very much on our trip. Not because we were honeymooners but because at night Antigua is loud! The tree frogs are nocturnal chirpers and that alone would have kept us up. But the mongooses living on our roof, the cats getting into fights outside our room, the lizards living in the rafters of our room, was enough to stir us awake every few minutes. The bed was also nice and big, but extremely hard and uncomfortable.

Overall Impression: The island itself is very unique and the beaches are breathtaking. We pulled into our resort and couldn't believe it, we were in paradise! We stayed in cottage #21 so we were the farthest, which meant the longest, steepest walk but a secluded room.

Value: I would love to say that I got my money’s worth and want to go back, but I think there were many downfalls that make me hesitate to say that. You are paying for a quiet, secluded room and small resort atmosphere. Because it was small it did not provide any water activity equipment such as snorkel gear, kayaks, life jackets, etc like it claimed. If something broke, for example the blender, it would be days before it was replaced. It was rustic and intimate, which we enjoyed. There are no TV’s so we relied on WIFI in order to use our iPad, but the signal was weak. There was no on-sight shop, so you had to figure out the closest store for anti-itch medicine, toiletries, etc. There was an insect problem, which only I suffered with as my husband did not get more than three bites. But even with the frequent fogging they did at night for the mosquitoes, it did not prevent the sand bugs (which were EVERYWHERE) to bite me more than 120 times! We were promised when we booked to receive an hour massage each but due to scheduling conflicts we only received a half an hour each. TIPS: Get the air conditioned rooms and enjoy the sunsets!

Excursion: We had a helpful representative of our travel company come to our resort to provide us with tours options. We went on the circumnavigation power boat excursion. It was one of the priciest but worth it! We went around the entire island with three very good travel guides. We stopped at two amazing locations to swim and snorkel. We also went to Stingray City to swim and snorkel with stingrays. Sounds terrifying, but once people saw how friendly and gentle the stingrays are it was amazing. We even got to hold one.

Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This place is the way to visit the Carribean. We were there this year in mid-October and had the time of our lives. The staff and customer experience is exceptional. From our first minute there after a long flight from the U.S. we had drinks and sandwiches awaiting us on their beautiful deck reception area, and at our departure the staff went out of their way to make sure we had lunch prior to our long flight home. We were even hugged on our way out and were sincerely treated well by everyone from the receptionist to the bartender to the security guards. The scenery and beach is amazing, the drinks are fantastic, and the food is fresh, well-portioned, and is all set in a romantic setting. Our cottage was very simple - no A/C, simple wood floors and natural colors, but very much what we appreciated. The open-air feel of the cottage and it's balcony allowed us to hear the waves and the sound of the frogs as we slept. We also felt very safe. In the daytime, we had constant interaction with the security guards, and at night, the area is well-lit with upwards of 3 security guards patrolling the property 24 hours. We never saw anyone who was not a guest on the hotel grounds. Another perk of the resort is it's adult-oriented and couples-only vibe. We met great people from all over the world (we were the only Americans that week and LOVED that) and developed a nice sense of community with the others there - but still got all the private time you wanted.

It is important to know before you go that this is NOT a traditional Sandals-type all-inclusive hotel and you will not be staying in a cookie-cutter, pristine/stuffy hotel room with loud partiers, and generic buffets. The accomodations are more rustic Carribean Cottages in which you will receive bug spray and fans on arrival (you can upgrade to A/C), you may have to wait a few minutes for the hot water - but for me and my wife, this was exactly how we wanted to experience the Carribean - all part of this place's charm. The taxi service is great and professional and they offer a wide variety of paid excursions. A trip into St. John's for the Public Market and Shirley Heights are a must.

A couple of areas to improve the experience would be to add more on-site activities such as snorkels to rent, or repairing the kayak available to guests. It would have been fun to be able to use that recreational stuff right from the resort like it indicated on the website. There are also plans to make all of the cottages with A/C which will be an improvement as it does get hot at night.

We highly recommend Cocos!

Room Tip: Rooms with A/C are available and Cottage 11 requires the least climbing up the hill and is close to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead - UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here mid September this year for 10 nights. Having read all the reviews before booking and reviewing regularly before visiting, we weren't really sure what to expect but were not disappointed. This is a beautiful resort, lovely rustic huts, great staff and the food is amazing for the facilities they have but by just investing in a few small things, it could be paradise.
When you arrive, you're dropped off at an entrance which looks like you're going through the bushes! We were dropped off after another couple who were staying just a little way down the road but their hotel entrance was incredible! You go down a dusty track and get out of the vehicle at a deserted hut which made us wonder what we were doing there ! We followed the tiny directions and entered Cocos resort - we then saw the beach, the pool and reception... and smiled :)
Once greeted and given a drink, we were shown to our room which was right at the top of the steep hill that the huts are set on, The view is incredible and worth the climb but be warned, it is not for everyone and you have to be reasonably fit and definitely able bodied to even attempt it but it becomes part of the charm of the resort.
The rooms are nicely equipped, no real mod-cons but the bed is comfortable and the room is very clean and kept clean all the time we were there with room service every day. The showers are outside which is quirky and fun even if it is raining with visiting gekos and birds - they are completely private and you're not overlooked in any way.
The food is all cooked fresh every meal time, there is nothing served buffet style and it is very good quality. The menu changes daily with a specials board to choose from each day too. They only have a tiny kitchen so the staff cope very well.
The improvements which could make this place perfect would be:
-more towels for the beach - the hotel wasn't full but some days there were no fresh towels
-better water pressure high on the hill. We learnt not to have a shower at around 1800hrs as the water would run out whilst we had a head full of shampoo!!
-repair the canoe that is supposed to be available for guests - there is nothing to do on the beach and sometimes it would be nice to cool off with a little water sports
-more staff serving in the evenings - sometimes there would be a wait between courses of around an hour as everyone turned up at the same time, ok we're all on holiday and have nothing better to do but we could see that people were getting tense and it spoiled the atmosphere for us
-make sure the WIFI worked in both parts of the restaurant, not just the lower part which was nearer the bar area.

We had a lovely time and the negatives are only minor. Make sure you take decent repellent when you visit the island - the sand flies and mozzies are cruel.

Boulder Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you are looking for super luxury, this place is not for you. It's very rustic but also clean and you absolutely feel like you are in the Caribbean. The service is great, the food was delicious, and the views are out of this world. If you are looking for peace and quiet and lots of alone time with you and your partner, this is the place. The rooms are clean and very Caribbean. The dark wood and white linens everywhere were just what I wanted. If you want an active honeymoon those options are there but if you just want to kick back and never leave the resort (which is what we did) then you can do that too. Keep in mind that there are only the outdoor showers, your room doesn't have an indoor shower too. We were ok with that but other people might not be. The showers are still very private, you can look out over the ocean while you shower and you're too far away for anyone to see anything and there is a wooden partition that blocks everything anyway. The hill that everyone talks about is significant. It's not like stairs, its a straight up paved/cobbled path. You might need to take breaks. For 4 days I could handle it but any longer and I would have gotten tired of it pretty quickly. We probably wouldn't stay there again but only because getting there from the west coast would take forever. We chose it because we were on the east coast celebrating with friends and family and knew it would be easier to get there than somewhere else.

Room Tip: Definitely get one with A/C and lower down the hill if you have issues walking though the views are...
Owego, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at Cocos for my honeymoon. It was nothing short of perfect. Between the staff, beach, location, views, food, it couldn't have been nicer. This is something my husband and I will look back on forever with the fondest memories. This hotel will be recommended to anyone and everyone I know. Do yourself a favor and book this little slice of heaven.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premium Plus Cottage. A little extra money is worth the AMAZING view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cocos Hotel Antigua? Share your experiences!